• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dachshund

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Jean Rousseau? I was in their London store last weekend. Nice selection, very good prices, looked good quality to me. I was going to try them out with a new strap for my Reverso.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Has anyone tried Jean Rousseau? I was in their London store last weekend. Nice selection, very good prices, looked good quality to me.

It is good quality!

Decide from your previous strap, how long you like each end to be and have them fitted with a single hole (as opposed to the 5 or 7 holes used in commercial watch straps).

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I am facing a dilemma for the last couple of days. I am uncertain if I should go for a IWC 3239 Ingenieur (new model) or a Rolex Submariner 114060. Both with black dial.

What keeps me off a Ingy is the ETA movement while Sub has an in-house one.

Ingy looks more cool to my eyes, perhaps because it's a fresh version, while Rolex has stronger and more rich appearance, yet it's so popular that I have a feeling every third guy I see on the street is wearing one, so that's actually a downside in my book a bit.

I am also considering the resale value after couple of years. I guess Rolex would be easier to sell off, while I am not sure about the ETA Ingy ..

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for a good jamon Iberico

Dachshund

Reaction score
It is good quality!

Decide from your previous strap, how long you like each end to be and have them fitted with a single hole (as opposed to the 5 or 7 holes used in commercial watch straps).

Thanks, and yes, that was exactly what I was going to do - much neater.

And they've got just the right shade of pink stingray that I've been looking for.

Just kidding.

Dachshund

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for a good jamon Iberico

Aren't we all? Is that that huge covered market off of Las Ramblas?

If you get a taste for that stuff there's this bizarre shop on the Strand that seems to sell nothing but jamon Iberico in various formats. Christ knows how they pay the rent. But it's delicious, and a good job they are too far for me to walk for lunch every day.

gopherblue

Reaction score

Has anyone tried Jean Rousseau? I was in their London store last weekend. Nice selection, very good prices, looked good quality to me. I was going to try them out with a new strap for my Reverso.

I've purchased custom straps from Jean Rousseau in London. Very good quality, similar to Camille Fournet.

Regarding stingray...maybe not in pink, but it's cool (but spendy) stuff that looks great with the right watch.

Last edited:

dsn112

Reaction score

Gents,

I am facing a dilemma for the last couple of days. I am uncertain if I should go for a IWC 3239 Ingenieur (new model) or a Rolex Submariner 114060. Both with black dial.

Ingy looks more cool to my eyes, perhaps because it's a fresh version, while Rolex has stronger and more rich appearance, yet it's so popular that I have a feeling every third guy I see on the street is wearing one, so that's actually a downside in my book a bit.

I am also considering the resale value after couple of years. I guess Rolex would be easier to sell off, while I am not sure about the ETA Ingy ..

You have to get the one that feels best on your wrist. That being said I wear a 114060 daily and have never come across any other person wearing the same watch. SubC date, sure, but the no-date is more of a wis model. Try them both and make the call, but I agree that paying iwc money for an ETA sounds silly.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I would say if the Ingy appeals to your taste, then take advantage of the weaker resale value and get a used one - depreciation and ETA guilt dismissed in one fell swoop.

Dachshund

Reaction score
@Dachshund

That's the one. La Boqueria. I shall make a point to hunt down your jamon paradise.

You'll know it when you see it. Looks pretty high quality. I had a great baguette from there once. Get in quick though. I just always find myself looking at these sorts of operations, doing the maths in my head, and having a gentle wager with myself that sadly they won't be there in six months' time.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say if the Ingy appeals to your taste, then take advantage of the weaker resale value and get a used one - depreciation and ETA guilt dismissed in one fell swoop.

This! I'm a bit biased, but I'd chose the 3239 over a Rolex. 

I like both a lot.

I wondered if Tudor introduced the North Flag to compete with the Inge but they missed the mark a bit for me.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my friends (who is a collector and writer in the watch industry) has owned a few and recently visited their factory. He said he was really impress with their quality. I have no personal experience with them. I have another friend who really likes ABP straps. My only personal experience is with Camille Fournet. I think if you go with any of the above three brands you will get a really nice strap.

Gents,

Try both on and see which appeals to you more. I really like the Ing design, but its movement is an issue for me. Its overall design (with some modern design updates) has been around for more than 30 years. When one considers it was born to compete with ROs, Nautiluses, VC's 222, and GP's Laueato, its really one of the most affordable of that genre of watches...in part due to its movement. For a while they did make a version with an inhouse movement, you could always try to track one of those down (I'm a tad sorry I didn't buy that version when they were available new).

As for seeing lots of Submariners (Rolex), at one point I considered that issue. Sure I see more Subs/GMTs than I do AP, PP, VCs etc...but when you have a really good looking design who cares? In addition to it being one of the best known brands, one reason you see so many is they have a reputation for being really solid, reliable watches. Sometimes its nice to have something different, but I wouldn't purchase something merely for the sake of being different. A friend did that only to have lots problems with the less common choice (it was a Nardin), and then regretted not simply getting a Rolex (granted they could have ended up with a bad example of any brand)

Yes, the Ing will definitely have lower resale value. However, if you are buying the watch for yourself and you think it will be a keeper then that won't really matter. Or you could follow Mimo's sound advice and seek out a used one where someone else has already taken the brunt of the depreciation.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dsn112

@mimo

@Dino944

Thank You guys for taking your time to write a quality reply ..

mimo, sadly, the IWC 3239 is very much a new model and I don't have a chance to buy it with the advantage of loss someone took before me. Most likely If I decide to purchase it now, I will be the one taking that hit by selling it off in a couple of years .. Though considering the not so high price, that hit would not be so shocking if I am about to enjoy this watch for years to come ..

I am currently gravitating toward the Submariner more, but will decide once I put the Ingy on wrist as my local IWC reseller is yet to receive one soon.

Also, after selling off my IWC FA Jones (actually made profit doing that) I feel more like making transition to Rolex this time .. But wanted to to hear other voices too ..

Summed: Ingy would be a dream watch if only they have used in-house movement or if I could take the advantage of someone else's loss to justify the purchase of ETA movement ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads