• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Snarky yes but not aimed at you.

I do see the appeal of dealer stamps like Bucherer, Tiffany and the like on vintage pieces, when these dealers actually added some credibility to the brand, when the were positioned much more upmarket themselves. In fact, I think it would be quite cool to have a white gold 1960ies Cala with a period dealer logo on the dial. Remember how the font sizes were back then, very small and almost illegible.

Today, when even PP have become sort-of mass market producers and Tiffany sells keyrings and bookmarks for a could of bucks and can be found on every high street and airport shopping mall (= the Hermes phenomenon) I doubt that this kind of thing would add anything (not value, but charme) to a watch. Bucherer has become a high-street mass-market outlet, too. And Les Ambassadeurs, which you may know from a trip to Zurich or Geneva, isn't much better.

Let's just hope PP doesn't co-brand their watches with P-Diddy, Lion Snoop Whatever and others.

Back to your question re Tiffany-stamping the marmite 5131 - even IF they would find a space on the rather busy dial, just imagine how Tiffany's logo would clash with the all-caps (WHY?) Chancercy font of PP's own "design". All-caps ****** Font vs. Small-caps Roman.
Sorry - I misinterpreted the direction of your snark. When you asked me direct questions about whether I've seen a 5131, why Tiffany co-branding makes a watch interesting, or whether I would wear an enamel dial Longines, I was misled into thinking you were being snarky towards me. Tone your rants down a bit and you might actually get substantive responses to your original question. Otherwise, you'll be written off and blocked like so many other wanna be's that have come and gone in TWAT; some take longer to understand the obvious hints that few, if anyone, are actually interested in engaging them, but eventually it sinks in that they are behaving like trolls and their posts aren't worth anyone's time. Best wishes on your search. Given the other choices you mentioned above, I would personally go for a 3940 (well, actually, I did!), but it seems like you have a fairly well defined set of preferences already.

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, I don't know you. So how can my replies be aimed at you as a person?

Just take life a bit more easy.

gopherblue

Reaction score
@Meurice: I agree re the enamel dial, as well as the Tiffany co-branding. Of the world timers out there, the 5130 is a classic (although the more contemporary resized version of the classic). I personally prefer it in Pt, since I like the dial more, but the WG is nice too.

This thread can occasionally become an echo-chamber, and for some there are certain brands that can do no wrong. Regardless of whether merited or not.

I judge watches one at a time, not by the brand. Some brands are more consistent than others; some brands trade on their name and marketing spend more than others. Even Patek has its share of duds, and frankly, its status, while oftentimes merited, is not the be-all-end-all for those who are horologically inclined. But branding is critical to some.

I suspect I may be one of those folks that certain people on this thread have written off and/or blocked, but that's not for lack of relevant content or input. Some people just don't like it when you call a spade a spade.

Last edited:

dsn112

Reaction score
Not really, was in one In NJ not too long ago, no relationship, and as long as I was paying by cash or check was 20%. Trusted sellers on forums are selling watches coming straight from ADs at near 30% off. All depends how you want to acquire it.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love the stepped case shape. It's interesting, elegant, and it's curvature makes it very comfortable on the wrist.

Sadly, I don't love the dial. They have made variations of the Toldeo for at least 20 years, maybe more. The version from the early to mid 90's was smaller but had a more elegant dial and more elegant hour markers that alternated between 4 sided pyramids and I think modified triangles at 3,6,9, and 12. Also it was a manual wind and without a second hand. I think the lack of a second hand actually made the watch look much better. The next version was when they added the central seconds hand and a date window (Ugly on that watch). The next was a calendar watch, then this present watch.

I find the hour markers particularly the 6 & 12 a bit heavy handed. I also find on a dress watch like this, the seconds hand unnecessary, possibly making it more mundane ...something better suited for a sporty watch. I rarely think a central seconds hand looks good on square or rectangular watches. They should have a sub dial or no seconds hand at all.

I realize that is all stylistic, and ymmv.

As Mimo mentioned, on a watch of that price range, I'd prefer a more exclusive movement made specifically for this watch, and if possible a square or rectangular movement for this case. Then they might feel less compelled to hide it with a solid case back. The movement is certainly nice, but IIRC it's found in several of their watches. IMHO something in this price range should have a slugger more unique movement.

Overall, I love the case, but the details bother me. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Mimo- regarding the current Toledo's movement you know me too well. I'd rather it be a manual wind that is square or rectangular and made specifically for that watch case.

The Harmony is a piece I wanted to like as its an adventurous design. I love non-round watches, but this I don't love. I think the design of their 1921, better executed. This looks to me like with the success of the 1921 they decided to make a similar shape and then clutter it with sub dials that aren't really integrated well into the overall design. Perhaps they want them to stand out, but I am not in love with its execution. Also the crown & pusher of the chronograph look like they stick out way too far from the case. I could imagine it being annoying as it hits the back of one's hand throughout the day. So I'd opt for the 1921 if I were in the market for a watch with a cushion shape case. Cheers!

@Dino944 I understand your point re: preferring the cleaner, 2-hand, manually-wound version of the Toledo compared to the current 3-hand automatic. I think I would prefer a cleaner-dialled version, too. I suppose, having had one of these on the wrist, that I didn't have the strong negative reaction to the dial that you did. Sure, I don't like the three-hand date version as much, nor do I like the more complicated versions of this watch either. However, neither did I dislike the version I posted; in fact, quite the opposite - I liked the dial detailing. The positioning of the 12 & 6 helped "stretch" the watch in the vertical plane, so that there's an illusion of length/extension, in-line with the strap.As a consequence, the watch doesn't come across looking as "boxy" as it otherwise might when one looks at the dial, or if the numbers were aligned in the horizontal plane. I also like the detailing around the hands of the watch (I can't remember the technical term? Is the graining made by machine-turning or a guilloche technique? I'm not an expert).It adds visual interest without being over-done, and catches the light under different conditions. Use of an auto movement and centre-seconds makes this watch more of a daily-wearer to me, rather than a formal dress watch. The simpler, original two-hander strikes me more as a formal dress watch, rather than a daily-wearer. So made for a different purpose, even the differences are only small and subtle. Would I prefer the original two-hand watch? Probably, but that doesn't mean I would kick this watch out of bed, either. YMMV.

PS Is this the original 2-hander you mentioned?

Last edited:

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@Meurice: I agree re the enamel dial, as well as the Tiffany co-branding. Of the world timers out there, the 5130 is a classic (although the more contemporary resized version of the classic). I personally prefer it in Pt, since I like the dial more, but the WG is nice too.

This thread can occasionally become an echo-chamber, and for some there are certain brands that can do no wrong. Regardless of whether merited or not.

I judge watches one at a time, not by the brand. Some brands are more consistent than others; some brands trade on their name and marketing spend more than others. Even Patek has its share of duds, and frankly, its status, while oftentimes merited, is not the be-all-end-all for those who are horologically inclined. But branding is critical to some.

I suspect I may be one of those folks that certain people on this thread have written off and/or blocked, but that's not for lack of relevant content or input. Some people just don't like it when you call a spade a spade.
Many thanks.

While PP is indeed my favourite manufacturer (not "brand"), I actually only like a fraction of their model range. But the same goes for many other things in life. Companies, artists, people can get one thing right - and make a mess with everything else they do.

I like the matter-of-fact aura of PP in the 1980-1990ies. It was so simple, it did not need to be explained or endorsed by celebrities. A few watches manage to capture that special nimbus - 3940, 5110, 96. Minute repeaters in general. PP's design used to be very sober (and a 5127 still looks a bit like an oversized Timex), Breguet and later Lange & Söhne started this whole retro thing. Contrary to common wisdom on some watch fora I dont not neccessarily believe that a "proper" PP needs to be a complicated one - a 5196 or 5119 are very fine watches, simple and unique.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my current collection. The Stowa may go at some point. Not sure what's next. I really like:

JLC Reverso
Panerai 337/338
Omega Speedmaster Pro
Rolex Pepsi GMT birth year

Too many good options out there!

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank You all, how long is the warrant generally on Omega watches, debating the gray market options. Discounts there seem to he about %40.

dsn112

Reaction score
4 years. You can pm me if you want. My guy who got me my speedy can do 25-30% off overnighted from an AD with omega warranty. No tax either

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

4 years. You can pm me if you want. My guy who got me my speedy can do 25-30% off overnighted from an AD with omega warranty. No tax either

Anyone can get 20+% on an Omega in less than 2 min of entering an AD.

That peacock's a rather overt statement then, isn't it...

Marcus watches on New Bond St. is also worth a visit.

Smithfield on St. John Street is also good https://www.stjohngroup.uk.com

There's plenty of good eats and shops in London.

Londontown.com is really good for finding places close to where you are going.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are great deals. Are they generally available for newer models like the DSOTM?

Beach time earlier today:

b9490a696cbca7c863af7d8e38a80a37.jpg

Last edited:

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think people were getting much discount if anyone the DSOTM. I really like the Grey Side.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads