• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idead as to what a typical discount one can achieve from an omega ad on a planet ocean 600m.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of being able to source a used Cartier Roadster? To make things more challenging, how about a blue-dialled Roadster?

I've seen a couple of Roadsters around, and they typically seem to be (in Australia) around the US$4000 mark and up. That's the plain (non-chronograph) version in steel. You can probably get them more cheaply elsewhere, as things like watches tend to be more expensive in Australia.

I've never seen one with a blue dial, only with a black or white (or maybe silver?) dial.

ctp120

Reaction score
Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that 1921 came in Pt*...or steel? Daydreams...anyway, you're clearly demented if you can't see that the Harmony is invoking just the same quirky asymmetry as the 1921, just in a different way. OK, the 1921 is just tidy and smart. You win. But I still like the Harmony. Even in WG :)

*Yes I know they made a Pt 1921 and it's a super fabulous thing...but I like the simple one, don't you?
Mimo, I thought being demented was a prerequisite to posting here? I can see the Harmoney is trying to invoke the interesting case shape and asymmetry as I stated in my prior post "This looks to me like with the success of the 1921 they decided to make a similar shape ..." I actually like asymmetric cases and dial layouts. I just think it poorly executed on this model and lack the elegance of the 1921. VC, PP, AP, JLC and others have offered watches with asymmetric dials that I really like. Sadly, and I am a VC fan, I just don't think the Harmony is their best work.

What are the chances of being able to source a used Cartier Roadster? To make things more challenging, how about a blue-dialled Roadster?
Lots of used Cartier Roadsters were made, so finding a pre owned one shouldn't pose much problem.
Finding the blue dial model could be tougher, as I believe it was a limited production watch. Still if you are patient, I'm sure you will eventually locate a blue one for sale.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BostonHedonist
Two years?! That's plenty of time to find your own way! In which part of town is your flat?

Suggestions for must eat places:

Borough Market in Southwark--among the hundreds of other delicious victuals, the kappacasein toasted cheese sandwich is the best grilled cheese you'll ever eat

Ottolenghi in Islington - fantastic Mediterranean food

Rochelle Canteen in Shoreditch - owned by the wife of Fergus Henderson

St. John Bread and Wine - one of Fergus Henderson's amazing places

Holly Bush Pub in Hampstead - IMO the best pub in all of London. Great location, great atmosphere and great food.

Maltby Street Market - another great weekly food market

Spring at Somerset House - great place for a fancy dinner

The Cricketers - in Clavering (out in Essex, north of London). An amazing pub restaurant owned forever by Jamie Oliver's parents. It's where he learned to cook.

You should google each of these, they are in various parts of London, w different cuisines, but all are excellent.

When you were in Greenwich, did you go to the museum? The Harrison chronometers are on display there--perhaps the most famous (and first) chronometers ever made. They changed maritime/naval navigation forever. Read Dava Sobel's "Longitude" to learn all about these amazing timepieces and the man that designed them.

PM me for more info if you like (about food or just in general about London).
I've added all these to my "hit list" thanks! I didn't go in the museum, no. It was just a drive-by with our agent, who was showing us around a bit. I'll be back though.

@BostonHedonist

La Petite Maison http://lpmlondon.co.uk

Also now on the list; I do quite enjoy French (cuisine). Thanks!

2. Mosers: Watches of Switzerland on Regent Street, or William & Son on Bruton Street (where you can also get a matching pair of shotguns).

You just don't miss an opportunity to defend your title, do you, Mimo!

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What is your view on the PP World Timer Ref. 5130, preferrably in white gold?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is your view on the PP World Timer Ref. 5130, preferrably in white gold?
In and of itself the 5130 looks great in the metal; I was sorely tempted by the one in white gold and a bracelet long ago. At its listed 39.5mm case size it is also a bit more appealing to modern tastes for larger watches, though that isn't necessarily a plus for me. My issue with the 5130 and other currently produced Pateks is that I end up looking at preowned pieces that are out of production (like the 5110P, for example) given the 5130's price point, even despite the recent 7% price cut in the U.S. We're talking about MSRP in the high 30s/low 40s (high 60s for the bracelet version) - so when I was making a decision long ago I went for perpetual calendars that were no longer in production (although to be fair, I also prefer the aesthetic and complication of a perpetual calendar versus a World Time). Within the hierarchy of Patek World Timers, once one gets to the 60s in terms of price point, I would probably much rather wait for the enamel dial 5131 from an AD. But that's assuming one wants to wait! Here's a pic of the new 5131 in rose gold, from a friend of mine who runs a Patek/Tiffany in the west coast (they just received one a few days ago):
4328b23dcaf15a30416c36ca94df0384.jpg
Wonder if they have space anywhere to even put the Tiffany logo in there. Or if Patek would allow them to (technically Patek only allows co-branding with Tiffany for pieces "below" their "Grand Complication" classification - so the World Timers do qualify - but where does one stamp this one?!). Let me ask.

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply. Two observations:

- I do understand the new-vs-pre-owned logic, but I am looking at pre-owned 5130s. 5396s, rail dial or not, would be much higher than what a 5130 costs in my region. The alternative would be an 5146, but that somehow does not appeal to me. Even a 3940 PC would be >30k EUR, and the one I would want is the WG model, more likely to be >35k.

- Have you ever seen the 5131 in real life? The upper-case Zapf Chancery font on the dial? The engraving on the bezel? Forgive me, but I would not put it on my wrist, no matter what. And, yes, the enamel thing requires extra-small dwarfs to put it on the dial, and it the baking oven is 1° too hot then everything will go wrong and so on. Ask yourself - would you put this on your wrist if it was a US$2500 Longines special edition?

Oh, and about the Tiffany branding. In what way would that "help" the watch being more interesting? Would it not rather be the other way around, a PP logo on Tiffany's ubiquitous stuff which you can even order over the internet.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many thanks for your reply. Two observations:

- I do understand the new-vs-pre-owned logic, but I am looking at pre-owned 5130s. 5396s, rail dial or not, would be much higher than what a 5130 costs in my region. The alternative would be an 5146, but that somehow does not appeal to me. Even a 3940 PC would be >30k EUR, and the one I would want is the WG model, more likely to be >35k.

- Have you ever seen the 5131 in real life? The upper-case Zapf Chancery font on the dial? The engraving on the bezel? Forgive me, but I would not put it on my wrist, no matter what. And, yes, the enamel thing requires extra-small dwarfs to put it on the dial, and it the baking oven is 1° too hot then everything will go wrong and so on. Ask yourself - would you put this on your wrist if it was a US$2500 Longines special edition?

Oh, and about the Tiffany branding. In what way would that "help" the watch being more interesting? Would it not rather be the other way around, a PP logo on Tiffany's ubiquitous stuff which you can even order over the internet.
I have put several 5131s on my wrist - and I quite like the aesthetic. You are free to disagree. Your dismissive point about Tiffany is amusing, and makes you come across as snarky (which is neither good nor bad). But, read my post carefully. Nowhere did I say that it would add anything of interest to a watch. I mentioned it in passing as part of the pic I posted, which came from a friend who worked for Tiffany. With that said, there are a number of folks who would pay a premium for Tiffany co-branded vintage pieces. I am not one of them, but I appreciate the appeal. I'm assuming you're not a fan, and that's okay too.

Last edited:

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Snarky yes but not aimed at you.

I do see the appeal of dealer stamps like Bucherer, Tiffany and the like on vintage pieces, when these dealers actually added some credibility to the brand, when the were positioned much more upmarket themselves. In fact, I think it would be quite cool to have a white gold 1960ies Cala with a period dealer logo on the dial. Remember how the font sizes were back then, very small and almost illegible.

Today, when even PP have become sort-of mass market producers and Tiffany sells keyrings and bookmarks for a could of bucks and can be found on every high street and airport shopping mall (= the Hermes phenomenon) I doubt that this kind of thing would add anything (not value, but charme) to a watch. Bucherer has become a high-street mass-market outlet, too. And Les Ambassadeurs, which you may know from a trip to Zurich or Geneva, isn't much better.

Let's just hope PP doesn't co-brand their watches with P-Diddy, Lion Snoop Whatever and others.

Back to your question re Tiffany-stamping the marmite 5131 - even IF they would find a space on the rather busy dial, just imagine how Tiffany's logo would clash with the all-caps (WHY?) Chancercy font of PP's own "design". All-caps ****** Font vs. Small-caps Roman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads