• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, German Army Trainers from Epaulet, camo socks, off white pants and the 5711:

c8d17f2c4a47f6f44c56d80c3833572c.jpg

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@no frills you are my hero. Between that Nautilus, your other watches and your Corthays, I am quite a bit of reasons to be envious!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I cannot possibly condone what is on and beneath the ankle.

But you're still my hero too. Though mainly because you keep Gotham safe.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to try on this beauty today - absolutely stunning! Thoughts?

(Photos borrowed from Alex Ghobi.)

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of us--the true horologists--knew exactly where you were. I hope you saw the Harrison chronometers while you were on the south bank of the Thames--simply stunning. If you're still in London and in need of recommendations for fantastic restaurants/pubs, let me know.

Yes, I'll be kicking around here for the next two years. I'd love to hear about anything worth seeing/doing (pubs, museums, shows etc.), which seems to be a great deal! Where are these chronometers you speak of?

I took note of the even in even for a car. To me, it actually makes much more sense to spend more money on a watch than a car. I seem to recall having discussed this in TWAT before, but I'll revisit.
As a luxury splurge item, I think the watch is the better choice, compared to a car. (Yes, I know I'm late to the discussion.)

Watches last longer, generally speaking. Due to their size and general lack of "environmental friction," less is generally likely to go wrong with them (YMMV). And they only broadcast your means to those capable of recognizing them, which you can make as obscure or overt as you'd like - whereas an expensive car is quite an overt statement. If finance and resale value is a factor, after the initial depreciation, watches will often hold their value much better than a car, which means longer enjoyment and more fruitful liquidation.

All in all, as my watch collection develops and grows more valuable, I imagine my choice in cars will remain comparatively simple. With few exceptions, a car just tends not to be capable of heirloom status.

I say this as a fan of autocross (in a previous life).

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. That was an enjoyable read.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@academe I think it's beautiful, though for all its beautiful finishing, I'm sure Professor Dino will have something to say about the round movement in a spacer.

By coincidence, I was looking at the new Harmony range the other day. It's extremely rare for a genuinely new line to turn up in this relative backwater shortly after release. I suspect someone important must have enquired. But anyway, I love it: this one is in white gold, the RG was also in stock.

Also, something for the laydeez:

I'd love to get my hands on this rare bird, though.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mimo: The Toledo has a solid case back; the photo was taken with the case back open. I posted the pic mostly to show the lovely workmanship & finishing on the movement. With a solid case back, I don't really mind the use of a round movement in a square case. With only a few exceptions (eg the Reverso) most non-round automatic movements with full-size rotors don't have shaped movements. Most watch manufactures probably couldn't justify the cost of developing a separate shaped movement for different case shapes. To recoup the R&D costs they would probably be charging much more than they already do. (The Toledo is in the region of USD30-40K as it is).

Love the Harmony, esp the chronograph. The dual time is lovely, but the dial doesn't seem quite as balanced to me. YMMV.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@mimo: With a solid case back, I don't really mind the use of a round movement in a square case.
The dual time is lovely, but the dial doesn't seem quite as balanced to me.

I'm just saying, Professor Dino will make a little frown. That is all. I'm just standing by and watching. :)

And I rather like the oddity of the dual time. It's something that VC does that defines the marque, I think: a little bit of eccentricity. Those asymmetric subdials and the playful jumble of colours and sizes, while at the same time remaining so inherently beautiful and usable too - it's excellent, I think. But it's the case that I love most. A lot of things on my wish list have a "cushion" tonneau - GP 1960s chrono, RD Monegasque, Panerai's 1940 case in almost any form (or 1950 for that matter - looking good, @tchoy!). Pretty pretty pretty.

Fosterions

Reaction score
I need help identifying this Hamilton watch please.

The story behind the watch is that it was my grandfather's. I barely remember the man, but what I have heard reflects the state of the watch. It's been stored in a jewelry box since at least the 80s if not the 70s. About a decade ago I took it to a watch repair place and from what I remember of that visit I was told it wasn't worth repairing (not for him to say) and I didn't have the money to do so anyway so it was packed away again. I came across it again recently and have decided I want to, if possible, repair/rebuild it somewhat regardless of the cost. From a quick Web search it looks like it's from the 50s-60s and worth $400ish if pristine. So yes, as the repair guy said probably not worth replacing by value other than sentimental.

As you can see the second hand has fallen off, but when wound you can hear it tick consistently.
The back says 10k G.F. bezel, stainless steel back.

Need anything more to identify it? I don't have the tool to open the back for a serial.
Any thoughts on a please to take it in the Toronto core or Oakville/Burlington/Hamilton area for repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads