• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino - I am sorry you took my reply in a way I did not mean it and if I have caused any offence I apologise.

Perhaps I did not word my self properly but while I like watches I see them as a luxury purchase like bespoke shoes or suits which unlike cars do not provide more functionality the more they cost.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you value personality or prestige?

Personality: Subjectively, of course. From my own point of view, it would have a lot to do with managing to be somewhat unique and/or distinguishing in design as well as demonstrating a decision to ignore design aesthetics that may even be ubiquitous and proven to sell volumes of units to the mainstream (>>shooting an eye askance to Tudor<<)

Prestige: Also subjectively. In this case I look at a few of factors.
  • What has the watchmaker added to the field of horology?
  • How likely is it that my grandson will be able to send the watch into the original manufacturer for service?
  • Where does the watchmaker "fit" into the context of its industry peers (does it do business with other MFGs? In what manner?)?
  • Is this particular model by this particular watchmaker significant in some way greater than the sum of its components and design aesthetic?

When we're making gratuitous purchases of a superfluous nature, we all must have our criteria. I know some are particularly concerned with lugs. That's great, though less of a deal-breaker for me.

Though I do not agree at all about this remark of flattering egos and impressing friends. This is the wrong place for that line of drivel...

@mimo

They have a pie pan!

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino - I am sorry you took my reply in a way I did not mean it and if I have caused any offence I apologise.

Perhaps I did not word my self properly but while I like watches I see them as a luxury purchase like bespoke shoes or suits which unlike cars do not provide more functionality the more they cost.
No need to apologize, but its appreciated. I mainly addressed your post because I did not want you to hold me responsible for a statement I did not make. I enjoy discussing watches even when it leads to differences of opinion as we often learn from them. Cheers!
cheers.gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is it?

The new beast! 2015 RR SC Limited. I'm going to spoiler the pics so as not to further muck up TWAT, but figured my car friends here might be interested. Cheers!

Another clock:

17294006855_5b355d5efb.jpg

In all her glory.

17122089536_909a24e613_z.jpg

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a SUV guy but whenever I see a Range Rover, I can see myself driving one. I'd choose one any day of the week over a BMW/Porsche/Audi/Mercedes SUV. Ok, maybe I'd have a hard time choosing between a RR and a Benz G-Class!

Congratulations on the purchase!!

Back to TWAT!

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I fear that TWAT shall forever and always be "mucked up", TC.

But congrats on that awesome Range Rover! :worship2:

And here's a shot of my watch choice for today:

Dachshund

Reaction score
I've tested all of those bar the g-Wagen, and it's Rangey every time. Now the g-Wagen - that's a ride - the African dictator's choice.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Any NYC TWATers going to the George Daniels/Roger Smith documentary premiere tonight?

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out a few Porsches recently, whereupon I noticed analog clocks in the magnificently appointed dash.

The hands did not line up with the markers.

What does it say about me that this would most likely preclude me from buying one?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new beast! 2015 RR SC Limited. I'm going to spoiler the pics so as not to further muck up TWAT, but figured my car friends here might be interested. Cheers!
TC congrats on the new ride! Hope it brings you many miles of enjoyment.
cheers.gif

I checked out a few Porsches recently, whereupon I noticed analog clocks in the magnificently appointed dash.

The hands did not line up with the markers.

What does it say about me ...
Actually, it says you weren't driving the car as intended
wink.gif
!

In all seriousness it may also depend on the model you were driving. In some of them, at least years ago, the clock was at a slight angle so the driver had a better view of it. Not sure if the ones you saw were set straight or at a slight angle, which might have affected your perspective.

The only reason to have the analog clock in those cars is for the other options that are part of the sport chrono package, such as dynamic transmission mounts, sport plus mode with throttle remapping, and a hard redline (doesn't cut out extra early before the redline) etc.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I had considered a G63 but the RR SC is so much nicer to drive. When this limited edition was announced in this particular configuration I knew it was the "one". Lol. So far so good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads