• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this has got me itching for another kop. Fiancé Hedonist has moved past my moment of horological opportunity and insists that I must wait until our wedding before she buys me a dress watch. This news, combined with my recently-acquired GMT II being away for service for several weeks now - and a swollen war chest of rewards points (read: gift cards waiting to happen) has got my trigger finger a bit itchy.

Perhaps I should just treat myself to a little Seiko Shogun and upgrade my beater into more respectable territory...

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys,

If I'm looking for a snuff/tobacco/light brown suede strap with 18/16mm dimensions, who is the best maker to look at? I see that Leffot or Hodinkee only has suede straps only in 20mm.

Gunny straps might. I am not sure if it's suede or just roughed. You could email them.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

All this has got me itching for another kop. Fiancé Hedonist has moved past my moment of horological opportunity and insists that I must wait until our wedding before she buys me a dress watch. This news, combined with my recently-acquired GMT II being away for service for several weeks now - and a swollen war chest of rewards points (read: gift cards waiting to happen) has got my trigger finger a bit itchy.

Perhaps I should just treat myself to a little Seiko Shogun and upgrade my beater into more respectable territory...

If I were you, I would focus on choosing a dress watch.
My first choice is the VC Patrimony, though I liked the older one with stick hands and markers better than the current offering. Second choice, and likely cheaper, is the Piaget two-hander.
My favorite VC -

Might be considered too small for current tastes.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would focus on choosing a dress watch.
My first choice is the VC Patrimony, though I liked the older one with stick hands and markers better than the current offering. Second choice, and likely cheaper, is the Piaget two-hander.
My favorite VC -

Might be considered too small for current tastes.
That was a nice watch, but its definitely very small by today's standards. I believe at largest its only 33mm and it might actually be smaller.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ I know. I think the version I liked best was just over 30mm. Pity, as the design is absolutely perfect. From the applied cross, to the markers to the length of the hands to the sharp "stick" lugs. Perfect in every detail. And note that the Altiplano is pretty much a knockoff design (which is a compliment).

tigerpac

Reaction score

gopherblue

Reaction score

The downside of pushers for date setting is that I never seem to have a proper tool at hand when throwing on a watch in a hurry.

So, JLC MUT Moon on today, and the date is still wrong. Now, I'm sure I had a paper clip somewhere ...

No paper clips! Toothpicks. Won't scratch like a paperclip can.

gopherblue

Reaction score

Guys,

If I'm looking for a snuff/tobacco/light brown suede strap with 18/16mm dimensions, who is the best maker to look at? I see that Leffot or Hodinkee only has suede straps only in 20mm.

Jean Rousseau. They have an atelier in NYC and London.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the dress watch budget? I.e. how much can you get away with before she gets pissed?
rimshot.gif

Yeesh, I'm talking about a Jetta and you'd probably push me towards an S Class.

I love how nobody on TWAT will say, "Gee, Boston, you just bought that Rolex. Why not be patient and enjoy it a while?"

Last edited:

tigerpac

Reaction score
^I thought you should get TWO more watches so you're already being very responsible!!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, what the hell...
Hard to believe that's been almost 10 years ago.

Thank you, my friend, for a wonderful refresher on this honest, honest woman and her honest body parts.

And relevant to TWAT discussions - it's all about proportions, isn't it? She looks (and moves) perfect - not bad for a lady who's less than five feet tall.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who doesn't love Kate Upton? :inlove:

Me.

On a TWAT related note my father is all jazzed he now wants to give me my great-grandfather's gold pocket watch. I am less than jazzed.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
dress watch.

Naturally, a beater upgrade is always a reasonable palliative step. By all means, do it. But you need to address the disease.

I've said this before to a couple of others and in the end nobody's bitten, but take a look at Moser: if you can find a chance to put a few on the wrist, and let me know what you like, my local AD is still sitting on a dozen or so and desperate to get rid: the lack of brand recognition has just left the consumers here cold. Especially as the same AD does PP, AP, JLC, Lange and many others.

Basically, I think I can get you about 40% off retail. Which in terms of opportunity cost, makes it almost compulsory in my book. See if you can find a few locally, and as Wraith said, find out what talks to you on the wrist. Mrs BH-to-be has to recognise the pressing urgency of a bargain, right?

mwink[1].gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads