• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
There is only one AD in this country. Which is why I want to make sure I'm exactly right in the complaint I'm about to make.

I agree, the service price seems perfectly reasonable, if not low.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

There is only one AD in this country.  Which is why I want to make sure I'm exactly right in the complaint I'm about to make.

I agree, the service price seems perfectly reasonable, if not low.

Mimo. That total service price sounds about right to me. Take out the crystal and that's what I'd expect to pay for a full Rolex Service nowadays.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been searching around for comparisons. It seems to me that there are two issues: one is the assumption that all the things that could need replacing, will need replacing - before looking at them - and the other is that the guy didn't know how to answer my question and started making **** up. Which has made me suspicious, perhaps excessively?

Sweden

Reaction score
Whats the market price for a 16570 Explorer II with no papers and no box, serviced 2014. Comes on a natostrap.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mimo
I recently took my GMT II in for service (15 years old and it had only ever been in for service once). My AD quoted a flat $600 (which is on par with Rolex official prices) unless any additional parts were needed. I assume there are probably certain components (like seals) that are switched out on every overhaul service. It could be that they broke down the full price of the overhaul into subcategories?
@Dino944 would probably know ...

@Sweden - I'd say mid to upper $3k range probably. All depends on the seller's investment in the piece and how well you can negotiate.

Last edited:

Sweden

Reaction score
@Sweden
 - I'd say mid to upper $4k range probably. All depends on the seller's investment in the piece and how well you can negotiate. 
[/quote]

The deal is his Explorer for my IWC 3777 full set, no money between.

A good deal?

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Sweden

(the 4k was a typo FYI, I'd meant to say 3)

If you'd rather have the Explorer than your Pilot, why not?

It really all comes down to what's motivating you to have one watch vs another. At the end of the day, a Swiss timepiece is an emotional purchase and many $10,000 watches are effectively not that much better than many $5,000 watches. If you're thinking in terms of comparing which would sell for a few hundred bucks more, I'd push back and say what difference does it make? You want what you want and you should have it if you can.

Personally, I would want at least the original bracelet for the Explorer. No documents plus no original bracelet is usually a red flag for me (especially if it's coming from Brazil or somewhere with high Rolex theft). And OEM Rolex bracelets aren't exactly cheap.

Also, if the proposed trade is occurring online in lieu of a direct Paypal transaction, double red flag. If the guy just kept your Pilot there'd be no recourse.

I don't mean to scare you off from what could be a very gratifying trade. Just trying to play devil's advocate.

Last edited:

Sweden

Reaction score

@Sweden

(the 4k was a typo FYI, I'd meant to say 3)

If you'd rather have the Explorer than your Pilot, why not?

It really all comes down to what's motivating you to have one watch vs another. At the end of the day, a Swiss timepiece is an emotional purchase and many $10,000 watches are effectively not that much better than many $5,000 watches. If you're thinking in terms of comparing which would sell for a few hundred bucks more, I'd push back and say what difference does it make? You want what you want and you should have it if you can.

Personally, I would want at least the original bracelet for the Explorer. No documents plus no original bracelet is usually a red flag for me (especially if it's coming from Brazil or somewhere with high Rolex theft). And OEM Rolex bracelets aren't exactly cheap.

Also, if the proposed trade is occurring online in lieu of a direct Paypal transaction, double red flag. If the guy just kept your Pilot there'd be no recourse.

I don't mean to scare you off from what could be a very gratifying trade. Just trying to play devil's advocate.

It goes through a dealer in a nordic country :)

I think I pass, I want the steel bracelet as a minimum :)

Thanks for your input!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you're going to want an Oyster bracelet at some point for that watch, Sweden.

And like BH said, I'd look for a deal that has the whole ball of wax included.

There should be plenty of them out there.

mimo: not sure how to advise you in regards to your dealings with that AD repair, but I think you're right to assume that they're probably "backing into a number"... and just throwing out a bunch of parts and terms that the average watch owner might not be all that familiar with.

I mean, if everything gets fixed to owner's satisfaction at a reasonable price, then no harm, no foul... but that's really not how business should be done, IMO.

Poor souls probably have no idea that they are dealing with the Pernicious Enabler :devil:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

It goes through a dealer in a nordic country :)

I think I pass, I want the steel bracelet as a minimum :)

Thanks for your input!

I agree. The Oyster bracelet is the main reason to buy a Rolex, haha!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Sweden. Good call. I totally agree with BH. I've seen head only pieces list close to 3k USD without B&P. I'm not stuck on papers for older models particularly but the bracelet is pretty important.

Edit: it also depends which serial. As Dino has mentioned previously, SEL bracelets are preferable and they do sell for a bit more.

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rainy day today in NYC. Tips hat to TheWraith - love the 114060.

148a950a060526ceb63408601e2c314f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work of art there, my good man (and it's been pouring here in Australia for two days straight! :( ). I think this is now my favourite watch!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mazal tov. BH!

---

Mimo, an AD giving a repair estimate without opening the watch is ridiculous. The one and only way to do this is for the watch to be sent in, opened and examined, and then an estimate is given.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Gah! Been staring at that damn Sub pic for far too long now!

Funny how the beefy lugs don't bother me like they once did when the watch was redesigned. I may not have done a complete 180°, but have to admit that I've thawed considerably on that particular ... feature. (I know I'm not the only one). Definitely has grown on me.

There's surely room enough under the big Submariner tent for that new kind of sexiness.

I guess in a perfect world, I'd get a Red 1680, and a 5513 to wear on NATO, and a 14060 as a beater, and.....

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I was originally thinking of getting the previous version of the Sub, as I thought the chunky lugs would bother me (which they kind of did in some online photos). On the wrist, however, I don't even notice the wider lugs. Seriously, it's a complete non issue now.

Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads