• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice to see one of my all-time favorites getting some TWAT love.

Mine's a 2531.80 :slayer:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas day! Mailman just dropped this for me and it fits like a glove, won't even need to go and get it sized at my local watchsmith! Calling @TheWraith I know to some on this thread, this is just pocket change, but this is my first 'big' purchase and I'm thrilled! The bracelet is really confortable, a joy to wear! I apologise for the subpar iPad picture, I promise I will post some nicer ones soon, for the time being I'm just too excited to concentrate on picture taking! I know it's quartz but I feel this watch has reach quite a status (since being featured on 95's Golden Eye) and has quite a following among WIS. Refence number 2541.80.00 for those interested!
Well done, @ShawnBC my friend! That was my first big watch, too (though mine was a Christmas gift from my sister in 2006). It's a fantastic piece that will never let you down. It's still one of my favourites. And yes, it's the Bond watch from Goldeneye, also the watch Prince William, Duke of Cambridge wears every day :)

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The more I hang on watch enthusiasts forums, the more I hear about this movement-too-small-for-case thingy, and I don't see what's the big deal about it. So what, if the subdials are distanced a bit from the case, and they dress up the chapter ring a bit. I find that in some case it can be a nice addition. But I guess I'm not that anal about those details as some of you guys! (not hating, just inquiring).

Actually I wouldn't even have noticed if people on here had not pointed it out. It doesn't really bother me either, I'm more concerned with the external aesthetic than whether the movement is much smaller than the case.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
It's a matter of degrees, and how much the overall design is affected. But it tends to either be very obvious, or one of those "once you see it..." problems. To be fair, that Sturmanskie is far from the worst example. Where it really stands out is where a maker has two case sizes of very similar watches with the same movement.

Sweden

Reaction score
Okey, if I want to trade my IWC 3777-01 to another watch, whats your pick?

I can give a little bit of cash in between but not a lot, not like a YM 116622 like I really wanted before I heard the price :)

Rolex is the main target to trade to, but if you give me other options I´m open for that!

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Actually I wouldn't even have noticed if people on here had not pointed it out. It doesn't really bother me either, I'm more concerned with the external aesthetic than whether the movement is much smaller than the case.

This is exactly my issue with big case with small movement. It effects the aesthetic. In general I find it displeasing when subdials and windows move closer to the center of the dial. Some watches handle it better than others, but it's always noticeable. Then, after I notice it aesthetically, the rest of the issue comes in to play. I don't like large cases in general though which makes it more of an issue for me.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is exactly my issue with big case with small movement. It effects the aesthetic. In general I find it displeasing when subdials and windows move closer to the center of the dial. Some watches handle it better than others, but it's always noticeable. Then, after I notice it aesthetically, the rest of the issue comes in to play. I don't like large cases in general though which makes it more of an issue for me.

Case in point. Here is Vacheron's perpetual calendar chronograph reference 47112, which didn't really need any upsizing at its 39mm size:

585c4737ad75180e38784a9cceec56bc.jpg

Here is the model that's currently in production, up sized to 41/42mm but with the same movement. I took this pic when visiting VC's boutique in NYC with @Dino944, so that's actually his wrist:

7a3cbf4488fe3c5456d5e78e06228308.jpg

They are both beautiful watches, but I just can't help seeing (and obsessing over) all the white space in the larger version. And yes, that slightly more cross eyed look for the subdials at 3 and 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better pics of the 47112 from phase-de-lune.net. Amazing detail and proportions.

f5a6150dc243ab4e34650366b6119143.jpg

20bd48cf4187e8fd62c430a8677d12ab.jpg

That hunter's case, display back and movement!!!

9f88e2e55a441cb28f07b2f51c42aba0.jpg

I mean, did anything really need to change with this watch? Boom.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess some things just don't bug me this much after all. I mean, even in 41-42mm, I think that's a very desirablel watch I'd never turn down, if given!

Last edited:

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Case in point. Here is Vacheron's perpetual calendar chronograph reference 47112, which didn't really need any upsizing at its 39mm size:
585c4737ad75180e38784a9cceec56bc.jpg

Here is the model that's currently in production, up sized to 41/42mm but with the same movement. I took this pic when visiting VC's boutique in NYC with @Dino944, so that's actually his wrist:

7a3cbf4488fe3c5456d5e78e06228308.jpg
They are both beautiful watches, but I just can't help seeing (and obsessing over) all the white space in the larger version. And yes, that slightly more cross eyed look for the subdials at 3 and 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess we have different aesthetic senses then, I find the dial on the smaller original somewhat squished. The proportions on the newer model look better, the hands look more refined as well.

P.S. Why does the day / month window say MAR / SEP?
P.P.S. That is a lot of hair..

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

guess we have different aesthetic senses then, I find the dial on the smaller original somewhat squished. The proportions on the newer model look better, the hands look more refined as well.

P.S. Why does the day / month window say MAR / SEP?
P.P.S. That is a lot of hair..

That's ok. You can work on that. ;)

kankles

Reaction score
Seeing as we're posting seamasters.

Less glamorous than most posts in this thread as I'm currently wearing a hoody with a fairly septic looking hungover head on me. You can bet the bank that the engineers in the Omega factory weren't expecting that dive bezel to be used as a means of timing the cooking of a hungover feast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads