• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Arrival - Vintage Heuer Carrera 3647T from the 1960s (but look as good as a new watch)

Gorgeous - congratulations.

I've got a three-register Heuer Carrera chrono from the 1960s but it hasn't been getting much wrist-time lately. I must get it out and wear it on the weekend.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you think of the basic co-axial, two sub-dial Speedy? It is an entirely different watch, though the design elements are clearly based on the moonwatch.

The day counter kills it for me. Otherwise I would be a fan.

I think it's great looking and no doubt very reliable. That movement is Goddamn fantastic. The problem is that Omega has so vehemently fought to uphold the "Moonwatch" identity - they have always kind of hung their hat on it. Rolex conquered the sea. Omega's perview was space, where errors and malfunctions are even more costly and unacceptable. So in my mind, the truest most purely historical (and frankly, beautiful) Omega is the Speedy in as close to the original (non-in-house) movement as possible. At this point, one can't point to their co-axial Speedmaster and say, "This is what the astronauts wear." At least not with a clear horological conscience.

I don't know what they're going to do about NASA with the co-ax. They hadn't changed the Speedy in half a century because that would mean having to re-certify a new movement. Will NASA go co-axial? I dunno.

Sounds like something Mimo will need to chime in on.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ezlau

Reaction score

Gorgeous - congratulations.

I've got a three-register Heuer Carrera chrono from the 1960s but it hasn't been getting much wrist-time lately. I must get it out and wear it on the weekend.

Is it a 2447 Carrera? I have one in black/white dial too (2447 NST). :embar:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 By the way, while in Boston did you happen to stop into European Watch Co. or Paul Duggan Fine Watches?

I especially enjoy EWC. They buy up pre-owned watches with a real collector's sensibility. If you go when it's slow (midday works well) you can try on all sorts of great pieces from modern to vintage. I like to go in with a theme "moon phase" or "GMT" etc. Then press "GO" and be whirled through a good half hour (YMMV) of horology lessons and wrist Appreciation.

Duggan always has a strong collection of the essentials: Subs, GMTs, a Daytona or two, plenty of Omega, some Cartier some JLC and a premo case that usually has some gold PP, VC and AP. Just yesterday, I was told that Paul Duggan has a fresh, one-month-old BLNR coming in. I'm not going to look at it. Seriously, no chance. Well... maybe just a peek....

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the basic co-axial, two sub-dial Speedy? It is an entirely different watch, though the design elements are clearly based on the moonwatch.

The day counter kills it for me. Otherwise I would be a fan.
The Co-Axial movement itself is great, but I don't care for the 2 dial speedy. To be honest the only Omega that interests me is a Speedy Pro. While there have been some changes over the years, the Speedy Pro its a model that has remained true to itself. Omega makes a good product, but they don't make anything else that I'd truly want to own at this point...other than maybe a few vintage pieces like a Flightmaster (sort of a funky 70s design...very dated, but cool).

Agreed about the Speedy. I love mine so much but I just can't seem to feel the same way about any other Omega.
As stated above the Speedy Pro is the only current model that I'd add to my collection.

Dino's clearly holding out for the 50th anniversary LOL.

rotflmao.gif
crackup[1].gif
Exactly !!!! No actually, I'm holding out for the 51st &1/2 Anniversary edition!
Sometimes I wish Dino would just tell us how he really feels!
smile.gif
rotflmao.gif
Yes, in the future I'll try not to hold back with my opinion
wink.gif

Another Speedy variant that wasn't popular (at least in Australia) when it was released was the "Broad Arrow" variant, back in the early 2000s. It came with an auto movement, a date window and the 1957 "broad arrow" hands. I remember seeing them being offered at ridiculously good prices but my wife said that she hated the hands, so I didn't get one. Then they seemed to increase in popularity some time later and the price increased - I should have bought one and kept it in its box (although that's always a gamble, of course)!
The Broad Arrow was a nice watch, and you are right prices were very good on them at one point. But again, for me it would have to be a Speedy Pro.

@Dino944 By the way, while in Boston did you happen to stop into European Watch Co. or Paul Duggan Fine Watches?

I especially enjoy EWC. They buy up pre-owned watches with a real collector's sensibility. If you go when it's slow (midday works well) you can try on all sorts of great pieces from modern to vintage. I like to go in with a theme "moon phase" or "GMT" etc. Then press "GO" and be whirled through a good half hour (YMMV) of horology lessons and wrist Appreciation.

Duggan always has a strong collection of the essentials: Subs, GMTs, a Daytona or two, plenty of Omega, some Cartier some JLC and a premo case that usually has some gold PP, VC and AP. Just yesterday, I was told that Paul Duggan has a fresh, one-month-old BLNR coming in. I'm not going to look at it. Seriously, no chance. Well... maybe just a peek....
I probably go to Boston maybe every 6-8 weeks, so I've been to EWC and Paul Duggan several times and its always fun to look around. I actually, sold my Explorer to EWC a few years ago.
I've probably gone to EWC more often because its a more convenient location relative to other shopping destinations. EWC is good for window shopping, but they rarely have anything in meticulous enough condition that I would make a purchase (I'm a bit insane about condition). Regarding Paul Duggan, they'd probably have to have something that I specifically want to see if I am going to head to the downtown crossing area (although they do have nice merchandise).

Wishing you luck and fun with the BLNR...be careful...after you try it on, it might be tougher than you think to take off of your wrist.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always applauded Omega for keeping the Speedy Pro 3570.50.00 in their line-up along side all their other interpretations, as (like Dino) it's the only one I would consider, and I very much liked the idea that when and if I got around to it, it would be there.

So naturally they went and fucked that up :plain:

tigerpac

Reaction score
Liking this... 20k for white gold version.

Excellent implementation of roman numerals.

H.%2BMoser%2BVenturer%2BSmall%2BSeconds%2BRoman%2Bnumerals.jpg

H%2BMoser%2Bcalibre%2BHMC%2B327.jpg

Pics from web

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I always applauded Omega for keeping the Speedy Pro 3570.50.00 in their line-up along side all their other interpretations, as (like Dino) it's the only one I would consider, and I very much liked the idea that when and if I got around to it, it would be there.

So naturally they went and fucked that up :plain:

How so? What has changed on the Speedmaster Pro?

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the Omega Boutique today in Aventura (Miami) to check out the Speedy Pro and 300 Master Coaxial in person. IMHO, both these watches look completely different in the metal than online. The Moonwatch is much more elegant in person, as you can see the depth and detail of the dial, but for some reason the design doesn't "do it" for me on a completely personal level. The steel on steel 300 Master (which I ended up liking more) is admittedly more flashy, but also in a subdued fashion.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How so? What has changed on the Speedmaster Pro?

You can still get the same watch but to justify a major price hike Omega is now only offering it with a bigger box and some extras. Fine enough as an option I guess, but it has replaced the pretty good deal the 3570 used to be.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

From earlier.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't look like a link to the 311.30.42.30.01.005?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads