• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Does anybody here routinely switch out the strap on their watches? As previously mentioned I recently got an IWC Portuguese Chronograph and love it for pretty much all the scenarios I need a watch for except the most formal. For weekend casual wear though I would prefer to put it on a lighter honey color strap. How easy are straps to switch out and does anybody do this?

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suaviter

Reaction score
Is there a good site for finding values on vintage watches? I'm looking to purchase a JLC Memovox Cal 825 (1958) and am trying to research if I am overpaying. The watch I'm looking at supposedly has all original parts and has been very well maintained. The seller is asking $3k.

watchrecon.com

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Does anybody here routinely switch out the strap on their watches? As previously mentioned I recently got an IWC Portuguese Chronograph and love it for pretty much all the scenarios I need a watch for except the most formal. For weekend casual wear though I would prefer to put it on a lighter honey color strap. How easy are straps to switch out and does anybody do this?

It is very simple with a basic strap changing tool.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lowndes, bummer about the JLC, especially because Im a huge fran, but the IWC looks great. Congrats!

robw

Reaction score
I do it pretty regularly. It is not a big deal, but there is always the risk that you will scratch the lugs. Some advice if I may. First of all, buy a quality spring bar tool. A sharp tool will hold the spring bar and make it less likely that it will slip so you don't scratch the lugs. Also, work from the underside of the watch, not from the top, so if you do scratch or nick the lugs it will not be seen.

Some people cover the lugs with scotch tape but I have not found it necessary.

What I also do is when I get a strap made, I will order with the quick release type bar so you don't need a tool. These come with a little knob type thing that you slide that moves the spring bar. I suppose you could just buy the spring bar like and cut a little hole in the watch strap and do it this way too.

None of this helps you with the buckle if you will be changing that too, but scratching on the buckle is usually not as big a deal. You could also just have buckles for each watch strip so you need to deal with that at all.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did an impromptu watch-dude swap at a concert tonight, and my 116600 ended up on stage!

Olav Larsen (awesome musician) had his all-original like-new-condition blue Tudor Sub in plexi, which is a hell of a cool watch and was great to wear for a while. Here it is on his wrist:

Photo credit: Olav

This one of his isn't too shabby, either:

Photo credit also to olav1979

I guess Norway's not the worst country when it comes to the watch thing. :D

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried on a friend's new PP 5146G. Pretty incredible in person, though I was egging him on to get a 5960.

Got a GMT Master 1675 by "accident." Threw in a low proxy bid in an auction and somehow won it. It's a 1971, all original, pretty near mint condition, original box but no papers. Seems like it was barely worn. I had always wanted a 1675 or 16750, and now after receiving it, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. I'll probably end up selling it though, if anyone's interested, to help fund future acquisitions.

1946 Longines chrono with the 13ZN movement, very good condition. Keeping this for the collection, but would probably entertain offers.

All sweet. My affection for plexi GMTs is well-documented, and that high-grade Longines is :inlove:

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey watch guys. I am a casual reader of this thread. Wife just informed me she would like to get me a watch for my birthday. I currently only own one watch (CVDK) so I am looking to get something more casual that is good for weekend wear.

I would enjoy hearing thoughts for anything in the $1-3k price range. New, pre-owned, or vintage. I am fairly open minded at the moment with my only requirements being mechanical and water resistance = or > than 10ATM

I read on this thread two good spots to visit in Boston for pre-owned. Any reliable online pre-owned sites in Europe?

Last edited:

AidanSSK

Reaction score
Tried on a friend's new PP 5146G. Pretty incredible in person, though I was egging him on to get a 5960.

Got a GMT Master 1675 by "accident." Threw in a low proxy bid in an auction and somehow won it. It's a 1971, all original, pretty near mint condition, original box but no papers. Seems like it was barely worn. I had always wanted a 1675 or 16750, and now after receiving it, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. I'll probably end up selling it though, if anyone's interested, to help fund future acquisitions.

1946 Longines chrono with the 13ZN movement, very good condition. Keeping this for the collection, but would probably entertain offers.

The 5146 is my favorite PP, beautiful. One day I'll own one. The Rolex is also nice :)

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey watch guys. I am a casual reader of this thread. Wife just informed me she would like to get me a watch for my birthday. I currently only own one watch (CVDK) so I am looking to get something more casual that is good for weekend wear.

I would enjoy hearing thoughts for anything in the $1-3k price range. New, pre-owned, or vintage. I am fairly open minded at the moment with my only requirements being mechanical and water resistance = or > than 10ATM

I read on this thread two good spots to visit in Boston for pre-owned. Any reliable online pre-owned sites in Europe?

How about Nomos or Tudor?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:foo:
I know you guys are all (or none of you) wondering what's going on with my international GMTII acquisition scheme. The watch has been purchased in Spain but it turns out it will be quite difficult if not impossible to actually get the VAT refund because my friend's flight out of Madrid is so early in the morning the customs office won't be open and she won't be able to get the receipt stamped. I saved roughly $1k getting the watch in Spain (well, almost $2k compared to list price + sales tax in SF) and would get roughly $1k back if we can finagle the VAT refund.

I'm also waiting on delivery of my Nomos (plus one for the wife) so hopefully I will have a group shot to contribute to the thread in the next week or so.

mail in the vat forms / there is a box to drop in at airport

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about Nomos or Tudor?

Thanks. Nomos Ahoi did catch my eye. I will have to see if I can find it to try on as there are only a couple Nomos dealers in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads