• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why wouldn't you get a few. You don't need to change them often, but it would be nice to have more than one color. Maybe even a seasonal change.

'Spensive!

I'm interested in the tank models as well, but am a little confused with all the options. Which is the one where the back is gold and the crystal is real, not synthetic? How does everyone feel about the real deal version versus the steel back.

The one I'm thinking of getting has a gold back and a real sapphire cabochon. The less expensive Tank Solo XL appears very similar but does not have those things.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For why?

From a purely design-focused perspective, the Panerai design is a Bauhaus triumph. The dial layout is one of the most perfect in all watchdom. The characteristic locking crownguard and large case size are perfectly inline with historical examples and justified by functionality. You cannot say the same about 99% of all other giant watches.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I can't speak for Tried and True, but it's not a design that appeals to my personal aesthetic.

Fair enough--it is not exactly a compromising design and therefore will be necessarily divisive.

That said, I do find the common criticisms to be misplaced. Yes, the design happens to be fashionable and trendy. However, unlike most fads, there is real substance and merit to it. The need to serve a function came first, then the design, then many decades later, the fashionability.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For why?

From a purely design-focused perspective, the Panerai design is a Bauhaus triumph. The dial layout is one of the most perfect in all watchdom. The characteristic locking crownguard and large case size are perfectly inline with historical examples and justified by functionality. You cannot say the same about 99% of all other giant watches.

Not sure if serious.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Foo, I'm sure you will end up with either or both of those, and more, but one piece of advice from an inveterate tyre-kicker: try them on. I've been very surprised by how different Panerais feel on the wrist, and I'm sympathetic to the idea that sometimes a massive watch is more wearable than you might think: the 47mm Radiomir 323 felt very easy to live with - if you like the style. Maybe you'll find the same with this one. Personally I would like a second hand (or subdial), but I agree that this is a quintessence of the original Panerai design: big, minimalist and with the famous crown guard. Although I like the Radiomir more.

But the Cartier especially might be a trickier one than it looks: for example, a friend of mine has a big fat Santos. It feels enormous for me. Yet I played around with a Tank Anglaise the other day in an airport, which is just as tall, but sat so much better with me. Case shapes and case backs are just so different in feel. So yeah, knock yourself out and there's no doubt you will go with your personal style and damn the rest - quite right too. But don't spend thousands on something you've never held in your hand, however good the pics are.

suaviter

Reaction score
Thanks, my friend! I know we have a little different tastes and that you're not a big fan of what's coming, but I really appreciate your insight and support (enabling) along the way! It's gonna be a looooong 2 weeks! LOL

Hublot?
rotflmao.gif

Congrats TC - stoked to see the new arrival - and the one that Mrs. TC will be getting shortly .... ha.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not sure if serious.

Absolutely serious. Are you familiar with Panerai history?

Foo, I'm sure you will end up with either or both of those, and more, but one piece of advice from an inveterate tyre-kicker: try them on.  I've been very surprised by how different Panerais feel on the wrist, and I'm sympathetic to the idea that sometimes a massive watch is more wearable than you might think: the 47mm Radiomir 323 felt very easy to live with - if you like the style.  Maybe you'll find the same with this one.  Personally I would like a second hand (or subdial), but I agree that this is a quintessence of the original Panerai design: big, minimalist and with the famous crown guard.  Although I like the Radiomir more.

But the Cartier especially might be a trickier one than it looks: for example, a friend of mine has a big fat Santos.  It feels enormous for me.  Yet I played around with a Tank Anglaise the other day in an airport, which is just as tall, but sat so much better with me.  Case shapes and case backs are just so different in feel.  So yeah, knock yourself out and there's no doubt you will go with your personal style and damn the rest - quite right too.  But don't spend thousands on something you've never held in your hand, however good the pics are.

This is so reasonable that I am now a little concerned.

All I can say is that I used to wear a Big Pilot, which cannot be much different from the 327, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads