• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

suaviter

Reaction score
[redacted]

Last edited:

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a fan of either watch.  1.  Too big.  2. RD - MOP dial and overly large text bug me. 3. FM - Some of his watches are neat, this one I don't care for.

I find my taste in watches are similar to my mother-in-laws taste in wine.  "I won't know if I like it until I try it.  I have a long list of wines I don't like".
RDs collection has always been kind of hit or miss for me.  I really love non round dress watches, (none of my dress watches are round), but I'm kind of lukewarm on this one's dial (it might be more appealing if they nixed the minute track and small seconds).  Also the size is a bit too much, as square and rectangular watches tend to wear larger than round ones.  My favorite RDs are the Monegasque line.  If my list of "Must haves" were complete...I would give some serious thought to picking up some version of the Monegasque. 

FMs, just do not appeal to me. 
I wasn't asking for opinions on the pieces per se, but rather about the brands in general; Whether they were regarded with same contempt as Hublot.

A note about the two watches: In the few years that I've had them, they (the FM particularly) have attracted more attention from women than have all my other watches, collectively, over thirty years. Like having a puppy or a kitten strapped to my wrist. Strange.

Last edited:

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not surprising...?

FWIW I think they're pretty cool but not something I'd consider anytime soon.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Moo, is that the Orion "Weiss"? Looks great - congratulations! What size is it?

T&T, I would do bad things for a RD Monegasque, approved or otherwise. One or two of the exotic Excaliburs are pretty exciting too. FM hasn't pressed my buttons, but I can't say I've seen many.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

15a401f4d3fef721e974a6c1528c01a7.jpg

An old one but worth it to push someone into a purchase...

This is probably the watch that will let me overlook the cyclops and finally get a Rolex with a date feature. This or a coke bezel next year in SS *fingers crossed*

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That Lange tourbillon!!

@appoooh , sorry for calling you Moo, mix up: to be honest, I am drawn to the original for that reason - the extra interest of the blued hands really makes it special to me. But that said, this is supposed to be the essence of Bauhaus design, so the more minimalist look is perfectly appropriate. Also, those polished hands will really pick up the colours around them - as in your pic.

I was curious on the size because I'm seriously thinking about getting the Orion one of these days. The price is really attractive, and my only question was 35mm or 38mm. I have a vintage 35mm Omega (see pic to the left!) that I wear most days as my dress watch, and it's fine, but I'd definitely go up a mm or two rather than down. So I am interested to see how the 35mm Orion wears in the real world with those long lugs. Any chance of some more pics? And how big is your wrist? The 38mm would sound like the perfect size to me, but if the 35mm wears a little bigger, I think the dial is better proportioned to the movement (placement of the subdial).

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
It is the Weiss - in 35mm. I'm concerned it looks cold compared with the standard and Rose Orion - thoughts?

I have the rose (well I bought it for my wife, but I wear it quite often anyway) , and it's my favorite dial of the Orions, but the Weiss is right up there with the black dial as well. I'm not really a fan of the blued hands version. I'm also a big fan of the grey dial but, unfortunately, I don't care for the 38mm version; and the 35mm wears plenty big enough for that style of piece IMO.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is probably the watch that will let me overlook the cyclops and finally get a Rolex with a date feature. This or a coke bezel next year in SS *fingers crossed*

Cyclops hate makes me sad.

Future Rolex kops makes me happy tho.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Rolex comes out with a Black/Red SS GMT sometime soon. The GMT started using cerachrom inserts in 2005 and it took until 2013 to release a bicolor version though Rolex has mentioned it was tough getting the split right. The Sub has multiple bezels in SS but it is the more desirable Rolex so it may make sense to have that.

Seems like Rolex would update other watches first before the GMT though. Just makes sense from a business standpoint.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It took 8 years but they did release two bi-color cerachrom bezels back to back. I want a coke bezel in SS but I have an odd feeling that it will be in platinum. :( And it seems really tough to do too, the pepsi bezels blue isn't the same as batmans, it is more purple-ish in the sun. Kind of disappointing to be honest.

People on TRF are expecting a moonphase from Rolex next year but I must have missed a report or news that it is even in Rolexes plans?

The Sky-Dweller is great, I hope it come sin SS soon, probably take a few years but I wouldn't be mad if they introduce it next year.

Next year is technically Rolexes 100 year anniversary so I expect something special.

Personally I am just hoping for a ceramic bezelled Daytona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads