• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoot, all this rectangular watch talk makes me want to leave this here. Still my go-to dressy watch but have been dressing it down too, Like Keith said the dial takes on a creamy/champaign tone now that it's on a brown strap. Can't get enough of it.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
I think it was suggested up-thread as well, but have you considered the Reverso Classique?

As someone also highly drawn to the design of the Tribute to 1931 models but finding them too large - especially for this type of watch - I think the Classique would be the best bet. Clean dial, nice proportions and a solid case back. At 38.5mm for a rectangular watch, I can't imagine wanting it to be larger.

zoom_reverso-classique-1309-2.jpg

Actually, looking at it now again, it seems like the perfect dress watch addition to my couple of round, black faced sports watches. Goddamnit.
I'm definitely a fan of modestly-sized watches, but the Classic Reverso is really tiny. I have the Grande Taille, and even this "medium" size Reverso looks slightly fragile on my wrist. But to me it's clearly the best option out of the family. The duoface comes in at a close second.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoot, all this rectangular watch talk makes me want to leave this here. Still my go-to dressy watch but have been dressing it down too, Like Keith said the dial takes on a creamy/champaign tone now that it's on a brown strap. Can't get enough of it.

That Tank Basculante looks great on a dark brown strap! Nice choice!

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those who chimed in with thoughts on the Dark Side of the Moon. Decided to kop before rationality caught up with me so dropped a line to my AD to check price and availability.

Only to find out that its apparently a boutique exclusive model and they can't get any. Which probably means I can't get my usually pretty hefty discount :fu: :fu:

I've never actually purchased anything from a boutique before - is it kosher to ask for a discount there too?

Last edited:

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen them on forums for as low as $9k. Boutiques will not discount, so it's not worth it in my opinion.

erbs

Reaction score
I have a 39mm Explorer I and I'm looking to pick up a Sub. I'm trying to decide between the date and no-date versions. Any thoughts?

I like the symmetry of the no-date, but it would be nice to have a watch with a date function since my Explorer is dateless.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Omega boutiques discount. at least in my personal experience. it's worth a try

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the explorer and quickly sold it because it was dateless and got the sub date.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I would go the opposite way, personally: I love how clean the no date Sub is, or as it should properly be called, the Submariner. As opposed to the Submariner Date. But there's no right answer - buy what you love. There's also the new SD4000 of course, for the compromise of a date without the "cyclops" bubble.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would go the opposite way, personally: I love how clean the no date Sub is, or as it should properly be called, the Submariner. As opposed to the Submariner Date. But there's no right answer - buy what you love. There's also the new SD4000 of course, for the compromise of a date without the "cyclops" bubble.
This works:
he6ytymy.jpg
This works too:
me6u9uhe.jpg
But then this kind of works too...
5unedy6y.jpg

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw it at my local AD in Northern VA. Not a boutique either.

R

Thanks for those who chimed in with thoughts on the Dark Side of the Moon. Decided to kop before rationality caught up with me so dropped a line to my AD to check price and availability.

Only to find out that its apparently a boutique exclusive model and they can't get any. Which probably means I can't get my usually pretty hefty discount :fu: :fu:

I've never actually purchased anything from a boutique before - is it kosher to ask for a discount there too?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
*Sigh*

"Have you looked at the Deep Sea, even? Apparently they have some new special edition out too, with a weird blue-ish dial..." (he adds, theatrically.)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

*Sigh*

"Have you looked at the Deep Sea, even? Apparently they have some new special edition out too, with a weird blue-ish dial..." (he adds, theatrically.)
Imma tellin ya - must be seen in the flesh:
aqu6aqyz.jpg
Takes nothing away from the original IMHO:
uhysevet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads