• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In your OPINION you're trying to be friendly....... haha

NO I WAS FACTUALLY BEING FRIENDLY YOU &%$!!11 &@@#**!!!

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
Good day with the DJII.
a5e6adu8.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh, no scratches. Those are the days.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Okay......apologies in advance for a longish tangent here.

I've been meaning to post these photos (and a few thoughts) since this past weekend, when I did a little more tyre-kicking (#mimo) around town.

Mostly I was reviewing some dressier pieces ... AGAIN ... since I have several sportier watches, and am not necessarily looking to add another one of those in the near future. (Though I've learned to never say never.)

For starters, one AD that I frequent, which already has a lot of nice brands-- has recently added Audemars Piguet. And I couldn't resist trying on the Jules Audemars Extra-Thin. (Inserting another apology here, for all the crappy phone pic
2122.png
wrist shots):

Basically, this is the kind of simple, elegant piece that one might argue is "missing in my collection".

Some of you may recall I have also strongly considered an Altiplano, and I've also worked through my own personal "quartz crisis" (#70s!), being smitten by the Tank Solo.

But this JA is really something. I love the size, which is modern, but still understated, IMO.

And she's got a wonderful tail feather to shake.

Dat rotor!

It's really beautiful. Just a nice, solid dress watch.

In fact, I'd say the biggest (er, only) problem that I have with this particular watch-- is that my boss owns one!

That's not cool, right? I just can't see myself purchasing this watch....and being "that guy". Everybody in the office would hate that guy.

So somebody else...please buy it and enjoy!

Moving on....next, I tried on the Jaeger-LeCoultre GRUT.

LOL, that's not a fair acronym...makes it sounds like a Marvel character.

So please excuse me: the Grande Reverso Ultra Thin.

I really should have re-shot this, the pic is sooo bad.....but again, what a great piece.

All the heritage/romance of the Reverso, in a precious metal, with updated size and movement.

Plenty to love here:

I think I could get a pretty good discount as well.

This AD probably has a little more room to play with JLC.

And shouldn't every watch nerd like me own a Reverso at some point?

I'd say it's a contender.

Next up, a couple of Vacherons.

God *damn* they are nice watches.

These people know what they are doing :)

I guess most everybody here is familiar with the Patrimony Traditionelle Small Seconds by now.

Clymer's already given it the full video treatment, and his stamp of approval. It's closer to a classic size (38 mm) and has a lovely sapphire case back (sorry, no movement pic, but there's plenty of those on teh webz):

And I think it looks pretty damn good on my wrist....comfortable, classy, luxurious.

It's modest, too. Somehow.

If a $15 - 20K watch can be modest?

But for whatever reason, it doesn't quite sing to me.

Feels like one of the watches that I should like more....and yet....well, I just can't put my finger on it.

So that one needs more thought. Still a contender though.

And moving on, I also tried the 40mm Patrimony Contemporaine.

This one, you may have seen featured in some of VC's print ads, the Wall Street Journal, etc. It has a solid case back.

And I know this one has a smallish movement compared to its size, but man, I REALLY like it.

Particularly for my size/shape of wrist. It sits perfect. It just has that balanced feeling that personally *clicks*.

I know this one has received the ..."saucer".... criticism for it's diameter : thinness ratio, and I do get that.

But IMHO, if it is in fact a so-called dinner plate, then it sure is an exquisite one.

Simply from the the tactile aspect of watchdom, I found it quite appealing.

I mean, it just feels good sitting there... and when I wind it up, it's like an angel gets its wings!

So yeah, just another tremendous, refined two-hander. And you already know how I feel about the VC buckles. Such a great detail.

If it matters, I have never owned a timepiece from the big three....

....but I have owned, and still own.... a Cartier.

To be more specific, I formerly had a Tank Francaise, which I traded a few years ago, and my current rotation includes a stainless Roadster that gets lots of wrist time.

So I also had to try the Tank Solo XL. (We are at a different AD now).

I was concerned about the size here, since the rectangular pieces can be tricky, and it carries that "XL" designation.

But I think it works.

Honestly, I could do without the date function (and the sweep seconds for that matter), but it's still a pretty darn clean timepiece.

It's actually the most reasonable option, essentially half what the above watches typically go for... I assume mainly due to the stainless case back, but also the (non-manufacture) movement.

For these reasons, I personally put it in a lower category-- but still under very sincere consideration.

And really, I still find it gorgeous in all of its Tankiness. Such an icon.

In my head, I actually visualize this one to be slightly more attractive on a black croc strap, rather than brown. Rather uncharacteristic of me, but of course, easily fixable.

So in summary, I'm not sure there's really an over-arching question here. Just posting some "pron" and maybe inspiring any TWAT comments or feedback on these pieces.

I'm not one to let a message board pick a watch for me, but do you have a favorite amongst this little group? Any strong likes/dislikes?

Maybe another watch you would recommend in this sub-genre/price range?

Aside from that, please resume your discussions....thanks for reading.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an ugly face in that crowd. I am a hueg AP fanboi, but I have to say I love the Patrimony Contemporaine the best.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow KeithT, GREAT post! I am bummed that I was not able to tyre-kick with you this time.

I love the Traditionelle, but I understand the feeling of it not singing to you. The Contemporaine is gorgeous, even if it is a fine, porcelain plate. The Jules Audemars is lovely as well, but the 41mm thing... eh.

Nonetheless, great post, looks like you had some fun! Definitely repping your moniker.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I like them all too, although I agree about the Tank on a black strap. Also, I kind of get you about the Patrimony not singing enough. It's one that should be loved but somehow it's not flying the way it needs to to be worth the money. I like the Jules Audemars a lot from the pics, though I've never had it on the wrist. And the Reverso looks really great on you. There's some logic in saying that a Reverso should be steel with a solid caseback, given its origin. Nevertheless, of all the pics, I think that looks most awesome on you.

There's not a bad one there. But when it comes down to it,as I said a couple of pages back, I just can't look past Lange for $15-20k. We all have our dreams; I think that one probably remains mine.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys....keep it coming.

Newc: plenty more tyres out there for us to kick, the next time you're here.

Can you tell that I've really been into GOLD lately? LOL.

photo courtesy of MI6

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get all four.. they're all fantastic!! :D

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In fact, I'd say the biggest (er, only) problem that I have with this particular watch-- is that my boss owns one!

That's not cool, right? I just can't see myself purchasing this watch....and being "that guy". Everybody in the office would hate that guy.

Thanks for the feedback, guys....keep it coming.

If your boss doesn't own the company, have you considered conspiring to get him fired so that you may be the only one wearing the Jules Audemars Extra-Thin? I mean no TWAT Master worth his title should let another dood get in the way of him wearing a watch he really, really, REALLY wants.

I like the Patrimony Traditionelle Small Seconds the most, but it does seem a bit cold somehow. Maybe bc I think it looks too perfect?

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, as I want to gauge the expert opinions here. Which is the more versatile watch, do you think, of the two watches below (not my photos)? I'm curious to hear...

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look what was available via the Rolex boutique at some city in Texas where I found myself today:

6e6eneje.jpg

Picked it up for a friend who really wanted it. He will of course pay me back hahahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads