• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pairing. Any wrist shots? Where did you source the hornback from?

Might have a wrist shot tomorrow. I've been getting Hadley Roma straps fron Lone Star Watch Straps for a while now.

Speedy fans, what are your thoughts on the new '57 Speedmaster, reviewed here?

Nice watch, but why are they confusing their history? THIS is a 57 Speedmaster:

Then they had the homage reissue that they unfortunately named the "replica". I had one of these. I loved the dial, but the broad arrow hands blocked reading of the subdials and the movement on mine was a lemon:

Seems to me these "new 1957s" could stand on their own without reference to earlier models which are nothing like them.

Fascinating. Rolex employees were just told this morning in Geneva that Dufour, ex-CEO of Zenith, is now the guy at the top. Wonder what this means for Rolex's future offerings.

Was Dufour responsible for Zenith returning to its design roots, or for those monstrosities of the early 2000s?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[...]Was Dufour responsible for Zenith returning to its design roots, or for those monstrosities of the early 2000s?

No, that wack **** is squarely on Thierry Nataf. I actually like some of the stuff they've made after Jean-Frédéric Dufour became boss. They have a pretty good lineup these days compared their competitors.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Daytona El Primero Striking 10ths for Basel 2016?

Seriously though, Rolex wins the more it stays the same. They've made fat cases, they've made more precious metal and blingy versions to maximise the higher-margin opportunities with pimps and professional sportspersons, and they're working their way through the retro book. How much deviation can the brand stand? It would be a very brave (and I suspect, soon unemployed) man who really set out to revolutionise Rolex.

I think we can take a new "coke" GMT as red in a couple of years (but it will probably be platinum or something), some new colours, some more 41mm versions of the DJ and DD, maybe a super-sized Explorer? But my special request: 39mm no-date Oyster with a new super-dark blue "sunray" dial and sticks. I'm a man of simple pleasures. This year's 36mm grey one is pretty nice as it is, but that would be perfect.

What could they do that's crazy? A new PVD sports watch? Titanium Subs?

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Close as i can get, today @mimo Hope you're well friend?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Daytona El Primero Striking 10ths for Basel 2016?

Seriously though, Rolex wins the more it stays the same.  They've made fat cases, they've made more precious metal and blingy versions to maximise the higher-margin opportunities with pimps and professional sportspersons, and they're working their way through the retro book.  How much deviation can the brand stand?  It would be a very brave (and I suspect, soon unemployed) man who really set out to revolutionise Rolex.

I think we can take a new "coke" GMT as red in a couple of years (but it will probably be platinum or something), some new colours, some more 41mm versions of the DJ and DD, maybe a super-sized Explorer?  But my special request: 39mm no-date Oyster with a new super-dark blue "sunray" dial and sticks.  I'm a man of simple pleasures.  This year's 36mm grey one is pretty nice as it is, but that would be perfect.

What could they do that's crazy?  A new PVD sports watch?  Titanium Subs?  

I see the new Sea Dweller and 36mm Oyster Perpetuals as a sign of hope. They and the white dial Explorer II seem to be the best designed models in the lineup apart from the new Cellinis.

If Rolex were to start making Titanium watches, then they need to figure how Seiko does it. They're the only manufacture that has been able to make luxury finished titanium watches.

dbln79

Reaction score

It's been a while. I've missed wearing this.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new Nomos Metro in the flesh?

If so, any opinions? :slayer:

I think it's quite handsome in a quiet way. Sort of like the colour scheme though I'm sure some will find it a bit off putting.

Diameter at 37mm may appear a bit small(er) at first glance but because of the thin bezel it will wear larger I'm sure. Just looking for RL handling feedback/experience from anyone, if possible.

Can only think of one drawback right now - movement is obviously a little small for the case, but I can live with that.

Last edited:

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone seen the new Nomos Metro in the flesh?

If so, any opinions? :slayer:

I think it's quite handsome in a quiet way. Sort of like the colour scheme though I'm sure some will find it a bit off putting.

Diameter at 37mm may appear a bit small(er) at first glance but because of the thin bezel it will wear larger I'm sure. Just looking for RL handling feedback/experience from anyone, if possible.

Can only think of one drawback right now - movement is obviously a little small for the case, but I can live with that.

I kinda like it. Is the off-centre blue/red/white dial between 12 and 1 o'clock the "Gangreserve"? What attracts you to this one relative to other NOMOS offerings? I quite fancy the Zurich blaugold or braungold myself. The chocolate dial of the braungold is very warm:

...And for the price, they have finished the movement quite well:

Last edited:

NonServiam

Reaction score

NS - That AP is just fantastic. How did you get that little AP plaque?

Thanks, stich! I bought two AP plaques when a local AD closed shop a couple of years ago. Not sure about the vintage, I'm guessing 70s. Picked up a Patek dealer sign and a small Omega Speedmaster thingy as well.

I also have a small Rolex altar :embar:

And other trinkets ...

Sorry about the insane sizes of these pictures. Something up with my Photobucket ...

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kinda like it. Is the off-centre blue/red/white dial between 12 and 1 o'clock the "Gangreserve"? What attracts you to this one relative to other NOMOS offerings?

I like...

- the hands, and the way they align perfectly on the minute markers or the hour dots.
- yes that is a gangreserve, on a manual winder. Which makes perfect sense to me. The off centre-ness makes sense to me and I feel it balances out the branding opposite to it.
- the little splashes of colour on the silver dial, as opposed to a coloured dial.
- the lugs are different, a bit more rounded looking? I like them. Afaik other nomos have more angular lugs.

... So yeah, that's why I like it. Tbh I'm a little tired of wearing my chronos as my default casual watch and want something a little bit different. I've always admired nomos, but their older offerings have left me somewhat unmoved. This one might change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads