• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure what you mean by luxury finished titanium watches?  However, other brands such as Omega, IWC, and AP have all made watches out of Titanium, and all were well done and reasonably successful.  However, its my understanding that it takes specific tools/dies to make watches out of titanium because its rather difficult to work. 

Apart from the difficulty of working it, Ti tends to attract scratches and oxidize to a darker color over time. Most of the swiss makers have had to compromise by using a dull finish on their Ti. Seiko uses different types of coatings and surface-hardening on their Ti cases, depending on price point, which end up being harder than stainless. All I can truly say is that the Ti Seikos I've had look and wear better than the omega and Sinn Ti watches I've owned, and unlike the Pelagos and RO I've handled, have brighter finishes that look more like steel or platinum.

Speaking of which, here's the wrist shot with the hornback. Is it too much?

mezentius

Reaction score
Speaking of which, here's the wrist shot with the hornback. Is it too much?

+1. Not too much. The texture of the strap complements the strong, sharp lines in the watch. If I ever got a GS, this would be the strap I'd use - I've always thought the lines on the GS were too strong for a normal strap.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apart from the difficulty of working it, Ti tends to attract scratches and oxidize to a darker color over time. Most of the swiss makers have had to compromise by using a dull finish on their Ti. Seiko uses different types of coatings and surface-hardening on their Ti cases, depending on price point, which end up being harder than stainless. All I can truly say is that the Ti Seikos I've had look and wear better than the omega and Sinn Ti watches I've owned, and unlike the Pelagos and RO I've handled, have brighter finishes that look more like steel or platinum.
Hi Hayward,

Thanks for clarifying your statement regarding Titanium. I can't speak from experience in terms of handling a Ti Sinn or Ti Seiko. However, I have handled IWCs, older Porsche Design watches(made by IWC), Omega Seamasters, and a RO all made of Ti. Personally, aside from the lightness and strength of Ti, part of what l liked was both the texture and darker color. IMHO, it added a different dimension to a sports watch in terms of feel (texture and less weight relative to ss), and then the color. If one already has a bunch of white metal watches, I like the variety that dark gray adds to ones color choices. The only time I might find having Ti resemble SS to be an advantage, would be if a company wanted to use Ti on a dress watch. I think in gray it would be too sporty for a dress watch. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Thanks again though for clarifying regarding colors and coatings on Ti Seikos as I really hadn't taken note of that in the past.
cheers.gif

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mimo
I haven't looked at Chronoswiss in a while but used to be a fan. I certainly don't like their migration to such large cases though. I prefer the classic size but still like their aesthetic

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to contribute to clpotter's site, all my watch acquisition stories go like this.

See
Obsess
Research on Internet
Obsess
Look at disposable income
Obsess
Obsess
KOP!!!

(Poast on TWAT)

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my Daytona just did a reverse Michael Jackson:

The swap was easy/quick and I'm happy with the change. The characteristics of this watch change remarkably with the dial options. The black has a bit of a vintage look while adding some apparent depth and heft, whereas the sportier white is tops in natural light. The printed elements on white also look a bit more distinctive (the splash of red basically disappears on the black) and the dial is slightly more legible overall, but they both read fine for me.

In isolation, I somewhat prefer the white option, but this wears a bit better on my wrist. I'd be tempted to swap back (of course I kept the original dial) if I lived in a more consistently sunny place. Just thought I'd share my thoughts as this question is inevitable for those considering a stainless Daytona.

clpotter

Reaction score

As much as I'd like to contribute to clpotter's site, all my watch acquisition stories go like this.

See
Obsess
Research on Internet
Obsess
Look at disposable income
Obsess
Obsess
KOP!!!

(Poast on TWAT)

Haha.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Belligero, they are both winners, aren't they? I jumped on the white dial when given the chance and haven't looked back.

HRoi: too funny. Especially the last step. Love it.

Mimo, thanks for the Chronoswiss pics, I have not given that brand much time or research myself, but have typically heard good things.

And lastly, does anybody else feel sorry for the Polar Explorer in NonServiam's Rolex group shot? Just buried in the back like an afterthought....seems so unfair LOL.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belligero - Nice dial choice. I've owned black and white dial Daytonas. The white is easier to read at a glance, but I prefer the black dial, particularly on the current version. On vintage Daytonas, its a closer call.

Below are some quick photos of my 16520 Daytona with cal 4030 based on the El Primero, and below that is a my current 116520.

suaviter

Reaction score

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Ugh. Black faced Daytona and the RO Jumbo are the two that occupy most of my TWAT thoughts these days. I wonder who's to blame ... (cough cough my friends on this page!)

Belligero do you just buy an extra dial for the swap? Pardon my ignorance ...

Hey Frilly, who needs a Sea Dweller when you can have this ?
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6769689&rid=0#msg_6769689
Hahahah good luck fending off those thoughts of the black dial Daytona! That 3940J is one of the most classic, timeless Patek references of all time. Fairly priced in the low $40s too. It is the reference that got me started on Grand Complications, which is why I have her (arguably prettier) sister - the 3940 in platinum:
7y9uru3a.jpg
Guess my personal issue is that I literally haven't broken my Sub cherry. Haha. Haven't owned a Sub or SD before, and I'm attracted to it. Also, even if I bought the new SD ref 116600 at MSRP of $10400 it's still a quarter of the price of a 3940J haha! The heart wants what it wants.....:.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Jaquet Droz as far as reliability, service, and so on? Thanks

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Black faced Daytona and the RO Jumbo are the two that occupy most of my TWAT thoughts these days. I wonder who's to blame ... (cough cough my friends on this page!)

Belligero do you just buy an extra dial for the swap? Pardon my ignorance ...
Sorry my friend, I hope my pix are not driving you too crazy
wink.gif
. I will try to be a better friend and not to tempt you with any photos of APs I tried on at the AP trunk show.

As for swapping dials, it depends on the country where you reside. I hear in Europe it is far easier to buy a spare dial, swap it and keep the original. Rolex USA, has a policy that if you want swap dials, its on a "trade in basis." Meaning, you pay $ x amount for the new dial, but they keep the old one...you do not get to keep it. My understanding (maybe people in the US were the greatest offenders), but I heard it is meant to keep people from selling old parts on Ebay to people that may try to cobble up fakes/"Franken-watches" using authentic used Rolex parts. This is also true of bracelets, bezels, and other Rolex parts in the US.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belligro & Dino: Nice Daytonas! The creme de la creme of sports chronographs. Now one of you just needs to kop one in rose gold! :bounce2:

Speaking of black dialled watches, what are TWATers thoughts on black dialled dress watches? I recently came across an article of the AP Jules Audemars Extra Thin Bolshoi limited edition, and that got me thinking about black dialled ultra thins. They are relatively uncommon but nonetheless there are a few (rare) but stunning examples:

AP JA Extra Thin Bolshoi:

AP JA Extra Thin (standard production):

Patek 5153G:

VC Patrimony Contemporaine boutique edition:

JLC Master Grande Ultra-Thin (limited production from earlier in the 2000's):

Generally when I think of ultra-thins, the archetypes are white or silver dialled watches. Black dialled versions seem that bit more sporty and a little less formal. In some contexts, they almost appear dashing and rakish... Less suited to black tie/morning dress (unless rendered in white gold or platinum, like the JLC or Patek quoted above). Opinions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads