• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

clpotter

Reaction score
Thanks clpotter. I wore it daily and almost exclusively for the first two years I owned it. I was in love with the brand, loved the simplicity of the dial, and couldn't get enough of the novelty of its oversized 44mm case. Back then its larger size went from being outlandishly large to "just right" quite quickly, and temporarily spoiled me on watches of smaller diameter and lesser substance. I dressed it up, I dressed it down, I took it on vacation, you name the event and I wore the watch. The ability to quickly change the strap has a lot to do with this - It is very versatile, and (again) its simplicity fits any outfit.

It's a cool piece, but it helps that I got in when the 112 could be had for under $3000 new with a discount. I do wish I'd bought when the truly collectible pieces were on sale, but in the end it matters little to me because I do not flip my watches.

Were I looking at today's retail ...There'd be no AD in the equation, as I'd beeline straight to the preowned/NIB market.
Nice. Yeah, I was just curious. If I'm going to spend that much on a watch, I want it to be versatile. And to your point about the current retail price, once I pull the trigger, I'm definitely going the pre-owned route. If you don't mind me asking, when did you buy it?

Last edited:

CMT1

Reaction score
Nice. Yeah, I was just curious. If I'm going to spend that much on a watch, I want it to be versatile. And to your point about the current retail price, once I pull the trigger, I'm definitely going the pre-owned route.

Absolutely - It leaves more money for straps!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

edit -

I picked mine up exactly ten years ago, early spring 2004.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

cant wait for my pam 183 to arrive. 10 more days.

agghh. the wait is killing me

Fabulous, I'm not going to ask which one you went for. Why? Both great and it means I'll be on tenterhooks too till you post! :slayer:

Demographics indeed!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoes on your PAM. Is that one of their in-house movements? Regardless, I like the industrial style treatment they give all their movements; it's always very identifiably Panerai.
That watch is absolutely chock full o' OK. This house is also a huge fan of the movie, myself included. I've been a fan of Idina Menzel since Wicked, but [COLOR=333333]Adele Dazeem[/COLOR] is only one part of what makes that movie so special, and such a surprising antithesis to the tired/also-ran Disney "Princess" formula. Great stuff - I cannot wait to be unable to secure tickets to the Broadway adaptation. edit - Before anyone gets cantankerous, I'll bring things back on track with more 112.

CMT1

Reaction score
Nice shoes on your PAM. Is that one of their in-house movements? Regardless, I like the industrial style treatment they give all their movements; it's always very identifiably Panerai.

Thanks academe.

My 112 predates Panerai's push for in-house movements by quite a few years. It has a slightly modified/decorated UNITAS 6479 ebauche that looks sharp through a display back, and that has proven very reliable over the years, but it's hardly haute horlogerie. When I purchased the watch, Panerai's finest movements were either the El Primero used in a few chronographs or the JLC Caliber 875 used in the 190, which is hands-down my favorite PAM by far.

There were a few years where I wouldn't touch the 112. I felt like I OD'd on OP. I started seeing Luminors everywhere, especially in any given metropolitan area, and while the same could easily be said for Rolex I still retreated back to the coronet for a long time. I only recently started wearing the Panerai again, and I'm enjoying it.

With that said it's going to be a blue Saturday for me:

I hope the weekend is treating you gentlemen well.

Last edited:

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Panerai and houses that are not historically known for haute horlogerie, I'm not concerned if they don't use in-house movements. I've always liked how Panerai have finished their movements; very clear design language that identifies the watch instantly. Depending on the provenance of the ebauche, I'm not necessarily too bothered if a haute horlogerie house uses an externally developed movement; case in point, the JLC derived movements used by the Big Three, the F. Piguet manual chronograph movements likewise used by many great watch houses, etc.
Thanks academe. My 112 predates Panerai's push for in-house movements by quite a few years. It has a slightly modified/decorated UNITAS 6479 ebauche that looks sharp through a display back, and that has proven very reliable over the years, but it's hardly haute horlogerie. When I purchased the watch, Panerai's finest movements were either the El Primero used in a few chronographs or the JLC Caliber 875 used in the 190, which is hands-down my favorite PAM by far. There were a few years where I wouldn't touch the 112. I felt like I OD'd on OP. I started seeing Luminors everywhere, especially in any given metropolitan area, and while the same could easily be said for Rolex I still retreated back to the coronet for a long time. I only recently started wearing the Panerai again, and I'm enjoying it. With that said it's going to be a blue Saturday for me: [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] I hope the weekend is treating you gentlemen well.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
112 will be first watch, followed by a Bregeut type xx perhaps. Gotta stop buying shoes. Thanks for the wrist shots gentlemen.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

112 will be first watch, followed by a Bregeut type xx perhaps. Gotta stop buying shoes. Thanks for the wrist shots gentlemen.

No you don't. The obvious answer is "buy both"!

CMT1

Reaction score
With Panerai and houses that are not historically known for haute horlogerie, I'm not concerned if they don't use in-house movements. I've always liked how Panerai have finished their movements; very clear design language that identifies the watch instantly. Depending on the provenance of the ebauche, I'm not necessarily too bothered if a haute horlogerie house uses an externally developed movement; case in point, the JLC derived movements used by the Big Three, the F. Piguet manual chronograph movements likewise used by many great watch houses, etc.

Agreed! For me, in the case of my 112, I admit that I initially balked at what I felt was too high a cost for a 6479, but in the end I simply fell in love with the watch - I have definitely received my money' s worth in wear over the years, and I look forward to bringing it back into the rotation more often.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always pickup a 1931 if you wanted a Grande. Given how much I love mine, I would be sorely tempted if I had more £ to spare. But being of relatively modest means, I have to prioritise my spending at that AL&S that I want next won't come cheap!

Sometimes I think the emphasis on in house manufacture as a value in and of itself is a bit skewed. To me, the value of in house manufacture is that it implies better standards of quality control, finer finishing and a clearer justification for the higher prices charged for manufacture movements. However, for some houses, like AP, VC or Patek who have in the past or still source from quality manufactures like JLC, Piguet, etc. the subsequent degree of finishing for these ebauches can be so superlative and labour intensive that I can understand the premiums charged. Also I think many forget that the whole emphasis on "manufacture" is partly a function of the post-quartz mechanical watch renaissance (with more emphasis places on "artisanal" watch making in the mid/higher end market), combined with a practical reaction to the Swatch group restricting sales of ETA-based movements.

Ultimately, as you say, it's enjoyment of the watch that should be the most important denominator.

Agreed! For me, in the case of my 112, I admit that I initially balked at what I felt was too high a cost for a 6479, but in the end I simply fell in love with the watch - I have definitely received my money' s worth in wear over the years, and I look forward to bringing it back into the rotation more often. 

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads