• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you TWATS think of the BlancPain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe?

http://www.blancpain.com/en/news/fi...r-2013-blancpain-presents-bathyscaphe-version

I'm rather underwhelmed myself.

The hands remind me of a Tissot PRS 516 (I think that's the right reference).

Plus, the bezel seems a bit skinny .... and it moves away from the sapphire version that is one of things I really liked about the modern 50 Fathoms.

To be fair, I do like the oversized crown....and I also like the looks of the (sailcloth? kevlar?) strap.

Posting the pic here which shows the women's model, since you rarely see a diver that's designed/dedicated for teh femalez.

Couple more snaps available at the above BP manufacturer's link... you may need to click on the language of your choice to read the ad copy.
I hate to say it, even though BP makes a high quality product I find most of their products boring and unattractive. The regular Fifty Fathoms might be the exception, but I just can't see myself pulling the trigger on one. Generally, for what most BPs cost there is always some alternative in its price range that I would rather have. As for the Bathyscaphe I think it might be one of the ugliest watches they have made in ages. For years people complained the lugs on Rolex watches were too sharp and should be rounded, the lugs on Bathyscaphe look like they are modeled after the claw of a hammer. The bezel looks flimsy and too thin, and the hour markers look a too small for a real dive watch. As for the extra large crown, it some photos it looks ok, in others it looks like it belongs on a beefier watch. It seems like this watch is just trying too hard to be a modern looking dive watch. Sorry, but if this is their best effort for a new addition to the Fifty Fathoms collection, they should not have bothered.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the blancpain annual calendar is one of their nicest offerings. #jussayin

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you TWATS think of the BlancPain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe?[...]

It's a mess. The one element that strikes me as being particularly weak is the use of bold Arial for the bezel numbers. That's just unacceptable from an established watch company, as no professional designer would ever willingly choose that font. I presume they're going for some sort of classic diver's watch look, but when they use a badly-drawn low-end typeface that entirely owes its existence to Microsoft's being cheap when they introduced Windows, it smacks of design incompetence.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bhall41

Reaction score
I haven't posted for quite some time. I have been wearing this most days to work. Ref 16030. Probably a bit plain Jane for many of you but I really respond to the watch's fairly simple aesthetic.
ebu3ejeg.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lovely Rolex! Has a lot of character!

For those who are interested, Jocke's report is up: http://www.roleks.se/bas2013.htm

Some of my favorites:

Regulator movement:

All in all, kind of a slow year at Basel!

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would, I think, be cliche to speak of time being a precious commodity because that it chimes true for most of us -- whether we are students preparing for exams, or prospective grandparents reminiscing about 'what-could-have-been' if one had spent more time with one's family -- means that we are already painfully aware of time's value.

Napoleon Bonaparte was aware that time was not on his side on the bloodied plains of Waterloo, Marie-Antoinette, on the eve of 16th October 1793 before she was guillotined for the sake of liberté, égalité, fraternité, and the Duke of Windsor, when he abdicated the crown, crying that: 'I found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love'.

Yet, we sometimes forget that we need to cherish precious moments.

That's why I acquired this watch -- to remind me, like they did Napoleon, Marie Antoinette, and Edward VIII that time is, never, never, on our side.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More pictures would be great :).

Lovely watch, wear it in good health!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I hate to say it, even though BP makes a high quality product I find most of their products boring and unattractive. The regular Fifty Fathoms might be the exception, but I just can't see myself pulling the trigger on one. Generally, for what most BPs cost there is always some alternative in its price range that I would rather have.    As for the Bathyscaphe I think it might be one of the ugliest watches they have made in ages.  For years people complained the lugs on Rolex watches were too sharp and should be rounded, the lugs on Bathyscaphe look like they are modeled after the claw of a hammer.  The bezel looks flimsy and too thin, and the hour markers look a too small for a real dive watch. As for the extra large crown, it some photos it looks ok, in others it looks like it belongs on a beefier watch.  It seems like this watch is just trying too hard to be a modern looking dive watch.  Sorry, but if this is their best effort for a new addition to the Fifty Fathoms collection, they should not have bothered. 

this. 1000x this. Just not a fan of BP....a friend has a FF thats quite attractive, but spends more time at BP than on his wrist. he's spent around 1500 this year sending it in for service.

the new pic posted reminds me of an underdeveloped Kobold.

drool.

Lovely Rolex! Has a lot of character!

For those who are interested, Jocke's report is up: http://www.roleks.se/bas2013.htm

Some of my favorites:

Regulator movement:

All in all, kind of a slow year at Basel!

hey you know jocke?? I love that tattooed swedish ******!! that GO is ******* GORGEOUS.

moar pics of this.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

'the date appears through a dedicated aperture'

Wow.

It's doubly funny that they feel the need to play this up, when it would've been so much better if it... well, hadn't ;-)

Also, for something named Babyscape it's disappointingly large at 43mm.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I nearly bought this watch in the silver dial version. Nobody does a big date better, IMO.

Well, apart from Lange...
lol8[1].gif

It's lovely though, and I dig blue. Really.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads