• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanskl

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post in this thread..

My late grandfather left me a watch, and I have very little information on it. As far as I can tell the manufacturer is Junghans, but I have not been able to dig up much information on them on the internet.. On the box of the watch it says Starline.

Can you guys help me out with some information on this piece?
fing02[1].gif

Surely someone here has got some knowledge on Junghans?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this thread of sort of more about mechanical watches instead of quartz ones, unless there is something special (eg ultra accuracy or hybrid mechanical-quartz movement) about the watch.

It looks like a classic example of 70s design, but its value is really mostly sentimental or in the case metal.

hanskl

Reaction score
What are you trying to find out?

http://www.junghans.de/history.html

Its a quartz, probably from the 70's. Not a lot of value here but kind of a cool looking watch. Enjoy it.

I'm sorry, but this thread of sort of more about mechanical watches instead of quartz ones, unless there is something special (eg ultra accuracy or hybrid mechanical-quartz movement) about the watch.

It looks like a classic example of 70s design, but its value is really mostly sentimental or in the case metal.

Thanks guys, I was not aware that this thread is mainly for mechanical watches.. I understand it would have been more valuable if it had not been a quartz, but I still holds sentimental value to me..

Is the manufacture of decent quality, taking into account its a quartz? I'm looking to replace the wrist band, any suggestions to what would look good with the watch?

Really appreciate your help!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

My favorite Rolex models are the Daytona, the Sub, Explorer 2, GMT and Explorer. New or vintage, those are the models that capture my interest.

I find this remarkable, by the way. And for Rolex, I'd probably rank them in a very similar order.

But five different models....of what other manufacturer could you possibly say the same?

I suppose Patek for myself. Gimme a Nautilus, and a Calatrava, and a World Timer, and a .....

Or perhaps for dino, he could find five Vacherons that he would truly be captivated by.

But I'd be hard-pressed to name five different models "that really do it for me" from quite a few very recognized, highly-respected brands.

Who's got a roster that's any deeper? And those are all sport models.

kungapa

Reaction score

Thanks guys, I was not aware that this thread is mainly for mechanical watches.. I understand it would have been more valuable if it had not been a quartz, but I still holds sentimental value to me..

Is the manufacture of decent quality, taking into account its a quartz? I'm looking to replace the wrist band, any suggestions to what would look good with the watch?

Really appreciate your help!

Junghans makes straight forward, good quality watches. If it has sentimental value, enjoy it!

The thread is not strictly about mechanical watches per se, but most members are primarily interested in mechanical watches.

johanm

Reaction score
On watch sizes, below is some quick math on wrist sizes and watch diameters, based on the assumption that a cross section of a wrist is approximately a rectangle with a 2:1 width height ratio (based on my wrist which is admittedly pretty flat):

Wrist size (top surface):

6.25" (2.08")
6.50" (2.17")
6.75" (2.25")
7.00" (2.33")
7.25" (2.42")

A 40mm watch on a 6.25" wrist is therefore proportional to:

- 41.7mm on a 6.5" wrist
- 43.3mm on a 6.75" wrist
- 44.8mm on a 7" wrist
- 46.5mm on a 7.25" wrist

Obviously there is more to whether a watch is too big than the % of wrist surface occupied by the case (e.g., wearer's height and arm length, lug length), but I'd think that any normative claim about watch sizes is worthless unless it takes into account something like the above analysis, at some level. In other words, if you're of small stature and slim wrists, don't listen to pronouncements about watch size "orthodoxy" from a tall guy with long arms and thick wrists, and vice versa.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I tried this on today. It is 41mm but somehow doesn't look it. I just thought I share that, before I reply properly!

*No, I didn't buy it. In another life...

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Oh that is a nice piece, mimo! Check out this video with Liberace teaching Lou Ferrigno how to play the piano. Ferrigno is wearing a watch. Does it look too small on him.....?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I find this remarkable, by the way. And for Rolex, I'd probably rank them in a very similar order.

But five different models....of what other manufacturer could you possibly say the same?

I suppose Patek for myself. Gimme a Nautilus, and a Calatrava, and a World Timer, and a .....

Or perhaps for dino, he could find five Vacherons that he would truly be captivated by.

But I'd be hard-pressed to name five different models "that really do it for me" from quite a few very recognized, highly-respected brands.

Who's got a roster that's any deeper? And those are all sport models.

Interesting.

I would say that I go deeper with JLC. And Patek. Definitely Lange. Vacheron, AP, probably not. I go about five deep with Rolex. Four deep with Omega. With GO I can think of a lot that I would love.

But I thought out of the above-mentioned, Rolex is the only one where I could see myself actually owning five of their watches.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
The Watch Appreciation Thread: you come for the enlightening discussion of timepieces, but you stay for the Liberace videos.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I would say that I go deeper with JLC. And Patek. Definitely Lange. Vacheron, AP, probably not. I go about five deep with Rolex. Four deep with Omega. With GO I can think of a lot that I would love.

But I thought out of the above-mentioned, Rolex is the only one where I could see myself actually owning five of their watches.
A number of Pateks, and then a few Lange for me. Maybe one or two APs, and there's one JLC I currently wouldn't mind owning. I currently have the Rolex watches I want, unless I happen across a couple vintage ones that would be nice to own.

Oops, caught myself dreaming again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads