• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I apologise if any things I have mentioned have caused any offence. I will keep posts like that to a minimum from now on to preclude causing offense. I really enjoy the flow and exchanges found on this thread and would prefer its ecosystem remain intact!
smile.gif

Anyway, I spent some time today with some Parmagiani Fleurier watches... while an incredibly annoying watch salesman literally hovered around me.

This brand has a somewhat schizophrenic collection, with watches running the gamut from big chunky chronographs which reminded me of some Corums or Hublots, to some rather inelegantly executed tonneaus, to some incredibly elegant simple dress pieces - the "Tonda 1950"s.

One in particular caught my eye - the version with the black dial has a beautiful depth to it which I do not know how to describe. The lugs with their wider inter-lug width were a pleasure to examine, and they avoided a problem I think plagues some modern dress watches - when upsizing the case width the lug width does not follow and I feel that it upsets the proportions somewhat. I prefer a wider lug width, and consider the 20mm with the 36mm Explorer 1 a good combination.

So clearly there are some independent companies that don't get much exposure on this thread. PP aside, does anyone actually own anything from a (non-PP) independent that is a recased ebauche?

I know GDL has his Dornblueths, which I exclude from the aforementioned movement recasers category because of their beautiful Ship of Theseus Unitas movements - and with the recent release of their first in-house movement (that actually introduces some innovations... i.e. not just reinventing the wheel!) I now believe them to be truly credible watchmakers in every sense of the word. And I recall another member once launched us into a discussion about Sarpaneva... which are beautiful watches but alas not to my taste.

So, again - PP aside, does anyone actually own anything from (lesser known) independents that are not movement finishers/recasers?
I don't think there was anything to apologize for in your posts. I found your post amusing and was kidding about it. We should be able to express ideas and opinions about watches honestly or there will be a loss in the overall value of opinions here on SF.

I like the Parmagiani pictured above. Its a clean, modern interpretation of a dress watch. I agree with your description of their collection being schizophrenic. For years their collection was all over the place and lacked direction. My friend's brother inherited a Parmagiani, and he likes it, but its a design that doesn't really appeal to me.

An acquaintance showed me his Peter Speake-Marin. Overall, I thought it was very nice, but when I found out that I think its base movement was something from ETA, I was less interested in it at that price range. I don't mind if a brand/independent uses someone else's movement (Lemania, JLC, Piaget, F. Piguet etc), but onece a watch is in a certain price range, I'd prefer something other than an ETA product.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is very true. Some topics tend to get others very fired up, but as long as we can agree that this is a forum and differences in opinions are what make this particular thread really great, then there's really no need to apologize. Everyone's entitled to their own opinon/style (sorry for all the cliches), and I'm really enjoying the different styles here and really am learning a lot!

I don't think there was anything to apologize for in your posts.  I found your post amusing and was kidding about it.  We should be able to express ideas and opinions about watches honestly or there will be a loss in the overall value of opinions here on SF.  

Had no idea about this in regards to PSM - that's.. disappointing to hear IMO.

An acquaintance showed me his Peter Speake-Marin.  Overall, I thought it was very nice, but when I found out that I think its base movement was something from ETA, I was less interested in it at that price range.  I don't mind if a brand/independent uses someone else's movement (Lemania, JLC, Piaget, F. Piguet etc), but onece a watch is in a certain price range, I'd prefer something other than an ETA product. 

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apropos,

While I don't own one yet, I am a fan of some of Journe's creations. I believe they would qualify :)

NDND2012

Reaction score
So, again - PP aside, does anyone actually own anything from (lesser known) independents that are not movement finishers/recasers? [/quote]

I purchased a Nomos Taganomat a couple of months ago, I think Nomos would be considered an independent. The finish on the case is nice, the movement finishing is great. I haven't measured the accuracy but I haven't had to adjust the time in months. I can't comment on the reliability or any issues with servicing it yet since I haven't had it for long. So far it's one of my favorite purchases, hence the avatar picture.

I don't know anything about PF, but the pic you posted was gorgeous.

dbln79

Reaction score

Thanks for the compliment on the JLC No Frills! I own a Rolex that's more on the "fun" side. I think Rolex is a brand with the most recognition and sometimes for the wrong reasons. Most of the watch is brushed so it doesn't call attention to itself. It was calling my name for months before I finally pulled the trigger.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the compliment on the JLC No Frills! I own a Rolex that's more on the "fun" side. I think Rolex is a brand with the most recognition and sometimes for the wrong reasons. Most of the watch is brushed so it doesn't call attention to itself. It was calling my name for months before I finally pulled the trigger.
I've prolly posted this before but this is the one model in the current lineup I'd buy.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey, if you like it and wearing the piece makes you happy, I'm happy for you! Looks elegant on you, and I applaud your self-restraint for waiting for months before pulling the trigger!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of waiting for months before pulling the trigger...

I suppose I'm one of those kids who would have eaten that marshmallow instead of delaying gratification. But, I couldn't resist.

Belligero - it really does wear slim and relatively discreet (not too large for my 6.25" wrist), doesn't it?

Dino944 and Stitchy, that didn't take too long, did it?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fantastic. no, that was not long at all. enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads