• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucan

Reaction score
Is it possible to manually wind a Cartier Tank Francaise when it is 'dead', or am I ok just putting it on in that state and letting the movement get it going again?

Thanks

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly! 

Yes I do own a few Rolex watches.  But before you label me a Rolex brand junkie, I have own several other brands and I have owned an Omega Seamaster.  My Seamaster was fine but uninspiring, basic ETA movment, and eventually it just wasn't what I wanted.  So I sold it to fund another watch. I probably would not buy another Seamaster.  However, if you have read some of my other posts, I have regularly praised the Speedy Pro as that is one watch I would like to own.  I also like the vintage Flightmaster of the 1970s...kind of intersting retro watch.  In additon, my friend's experience with Omegas Seamaster waws far from perfect.  Several years ago one of my best friends owned 2 Seamasters and had quality control problems with each.  He bought an outgoing Seamaster and a few days after purchasing it noticed that there was a small feather floating around between the crystal and the dial...this added entertainment was at no extra cost! :D   So my buddy brought it back and traded it toward a new generation Seamaster.  Within six months he noticed the extension part of the bracelet clasp kept opening from the back.  It went back, Omega replaced the bracelet and clasp twice for the same issue.  He gave up and got a Speedy Pro...that ran perfectly.  He mistakenly sold his Speedy pro when he fell for another watch...but several years later bought another Speedy Pro that he still has.  

Dino, this is great perspective. I am drawn to the Omega Speedy Pro because of its aesthetics, workmanship and history. I'll PM you about more detailed stuff. Thanks for all the perspective you share, I continue to learn a lot.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the new Novelties from SIHH are up and around. Some pretty awesome pieces too!

HEPennypacker

Reaction score

True but the same can be said about luxury shoes/ suits/ shirts/ties. And if we stop talking about all of that this forum would be redundant and we would all have to go back to being lonely in our parent's basements because we would have no one to talk to.

Lol. I agree that there is an appreciation for quality--often hand-crafted--that underlies many of the topics of conversation on the forum (particularly suits, shoes, and ties). Sure, a lot of the conversation concerns "style," but there are many informative threads that go into nitty gritty, and this is one of them. They are certainly what makes the forum great. I find myself visiting Timezone much less these days b/c of this thread.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really a very cool watch Dino. It certainly looks like a very dynamic watch. I am not the best at describing these sorts of things, but I really like the "recurring" square and quadrilateral theme of the watch. To be completely honest, it is the type of watch that I think I would pass over when looking for a new watch, but that I wish that I would not. For some reason I am not overly drawn to Tonneau or Square-shaped watches, but this one is absolutely spectacular. The lugs are something else as well.

I think I have come to the conclusion that VC makes my favorite dress watches--at least simple three handers. They have some absolutely spectacular watches, both from their current collection and vintage. I think Patek takes the cake with Perpetual Calendars, Perpetual Calendar Chronos, and the like, but VC really knows how to make some wonderful simple watches.

They have that certain je ne sais quoi that I cannot seem to find in other brands. Almost a whimsical characteristic.
Thanks. I'm glad you liked the photos of my Carree. I find the "Stepped" lugs really add to that sense of different layers to the watch and the continued use of square shapes really attracted me. I can understand your being drawn toward round watches, its what we are most use to seeing these days. I wanted my first dress watch to be as different as possible from my daily wearers or other watches I had owned. So I chose a non-round watch in rose gold. Your impression about VC's designs often being whimsical is spot on! For many decades until roughly the 1950's -1960s, they were basically the top brand of the "Big Three." However, unlike many of the designs from PP or AP; VCs designs were more adventurous and often played with the shapes of lugs and cases .

Love that Chronometer Royal in the photo. Very cool watch, also referred to as the Batman watch due to its shape (it was never used in a Batman TV show or movie).
Just adding onto this.

A classic Vacheron Dress watch...with I believe in house cal 1400. Looks great!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to manually wind a Cartier Tank Francaise when it is 'dead', or am I ok just putting it on in that state and letting the movement get it going again?

Thanks
You will probably have to let the motion on your arm start it. The crown on the Automatic TF is so small and tough to grip that when its up against the side of the case its very difficult to grasp turn. It seems like it just wasn't designed to wind using the winding crown.

Dino, this is great perspective. I am drawn to the Omega Speedy Pro because of its aesthetics, workmanship and history. I'll PM you about more detailed stuff. Thanks for all the perspective you share, I continue to learn a lot.
Thanks No Frills, glad you enjoyed it. The Omega Speedy Pro is a great watch. As you have stated its aesthetics, workmanship and history add tremendous appeal to this watch. Although there have been variations, using automatic movments, co-axial movements and different sizes and dials, thankfully the Speedy Pro has largely retained its original design. The bracelet is a bit different and there have been changes to the movement, so some prefer the vintage pieces but its a great watch no matter which model you choose.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hello, dddrees, best to say names!  No insult really given, only to a brand, a brand is not a living organism (not insulting your intelligencia)! When I say brand junkie, everyone is a brand junkie; clothes down to the beer you prefer!  And yes I did accomplish excitement, but I did't think anyone should/would take it personal! After all at the end of the day, who really cares what watch you are wearing! You know it! only you! Listen, I jerk around almost everyday and some guys get my dark humor, others dont! Try this; for those who found what I said distastefull ! when you read it just switch the the brand names around omega to rolex! You see how that works!We men are funny creatures :)   (starting today I will tone it down, just for the sensitive gents)

the idea is this, the people who come here to talk about watches, are people who appreciate them, and are looking for other enthusiasts with whom to have interesting and informative watch conversation. sure, the guys here like to have a good laugh, but saying things just to jerk people around or promote a reaction, is not really appreciated.

if you make a statement about any two watch brands comparatively, only to say that the brands in your statement could be switched, then your brand comparison, is essentially meaningless, and is kind of a waste of peoples time.

no hate, just telling you what what bothersome to some.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also, +1 to the VC simple, classy, dress watch, love.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.  I'm glad you liked the photos of my Carree.  I find the "Stepped" lugs really add to that sense of different layers to the watch and the continued use of square shapes really attracted me.  I can understand your being drawn toward round watches, its what we are most use to seeing these days.  I wanted my first dress watch to be as different as possible from my daily wearers or other watches I had owned.  So I chose a non-round watch in rose gold.  Your impression about VC's designs often being whimsical is spot on!  For many decades until roughly the 1950's -1960s, they were basically the top brand of the "Big Three."  However, unlike many of the designs from PP or AP; VCs designs were more adventurous and often played with the shapes of lugs and cases .  

Love that Chronometer Royal in the photo.  Very cool watch, also referred to as the Batman watch due to its shape (it was never used in a Batman TV show or movie). 

A classic Vacheron Dress watch...with I believe in house cal 1400.  Looks great!

Thanks! and Yes if I'm not mistaken the movement used was their first manual wind non complicated movement produced in house in a long time. In regards to your comment on VC and the other big three i remember a quote along the lines of "Vacheron Constantin was the greatest watch maker of my grandfathers generation" Even my mother used to tell me how during my Grandfathers time it was Vacheron who was the watchmaker to beat and this is in Singapore so yes we do have some watch lovers here besides the Omega/Rolex crowd! . And honestly even though Patek or lange might have better movements or finishings or w/e Vacheron IMO makes the most beautiful pieces the movement might only slightly lose out to patek but the case itself is art. Strangely enough I've been asked about 20 times while wearing that VC i posted "is that a patek". And the number of times i have been asked while wearing my actual Patek is zero which is pretty ironic lol. Vacheron seems to have been making a comeback in recent years though but I'm glad the general population still hasn't heard of VC same can be said about Patek but in my experience even some people who know about Patek Philippe will have not heard of Vacheron Constantin

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1.

I think that the Watch Appreciation Thread is easily one of the best and most informative threads on teh forvm. I feel like most of the regulars post very informative and interesting posts, and really spend time thinking about what they write. This thread is definitely not as 'fast paced' or dramatic as some of the other threads, but this is probably the only place that I check many, many times per day.

I just hope the quality keeps up.

+1 i just recently started checking this thread out and its such a relief from the other "How does this suit fit" followed by 1 million replies saying "for that money you could have gotten 50 billion suits made from (insert random developing country)" or how Allen Edmonds are god's gift to mankind there was even one guy who claimed AE was better that RLPL which are made by Gaziano & Girling/ Edward Green. At least in this thread we don't have a bunch of people telling us that it would have been a better idea to "get that watch made in (insert random developing country) for .0006% of the price" when all we asked was for opinions on how it looked lol

Lucan

Reaction score
Thanks Dino re the Cartier TF advice, I was just overly worried it wouldn't be good for it.

Video of the JLC Gyrotourbillon here:

Nice for us mere mortals who'll never get to see one!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great video. jlc has done some of those in the past for the other gyros, love em.

anyone have deets on the next level clasp?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if you make a statement about any two watch brands comparatively, only to say that the brands in your statement could be switched, then your brand comparison, is essentially meaningless, and is kind of a waste of peoples time.

Bingo! Don't stir the pot... for the sake of stirring the pot.

Went and tried on some Hublots today for the sheer heck of it. Eye watering prices - almost in ALS/PP territory for many models. The King Power, is, well... the King Power of something, I'm honestly not sure what. Then there was this other model which looks like a copy of an IWC sports watch - the name escapes me now. Even had faux screws in the polished bezel..

I really have no idea what attracts people to this marque. Are there any Hublot owners (make that real Hublots, not fake Hublots) on this thread who can explain their appeal to me?? :confused:

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino re the Cartier TF advice, I was just overly worried it wouldn't be good for it.
Hi Lucan, based on the design of the TF, you really don't have much choice in terms of how to get it started (but don't worry its a very durable watch). On most other watches, yes I'd use the winding crown.

Thanks! and Yes if I'm not mistaken the movement used was their first manual wind non complicated movement produced in house in a long time. In regards to your comment on VC and the other big three i remember a quote along the lines of "Vacheron Constantin was the greatest watch maker of my grandfathers generation" Even my mother used to tell me how during my Grandfathers time it was Vacheron who was the watchmaker to beat and this is in Singapore so yes we do have some watch lovers here besides the Omega/Rolex crowd! . And honestly even though Patek or lange might have better movements or finishings or w/e Vacheron IMO makes the most beautiful pieces the movement might only slightly lose out to patek but the case itself is art. Strangely enough I've been asked about 20 times while wearing that VC i posted "is that a patek". And the number of times i have been asked while wearing my actual Patek is zero which is pretty ironic lol. Vacheron seems to have been making a comeback in recent years though but I'm glad the general population still hasn't heard of VC same can be said about Patek but in my experience even some people who know about Patek Philippe will have not heard of Vacheron Constantin
Hi Jeff, you are correct cal 1400 was the first manual wind time only non-complicated in house movement that VC had made in many years. Prior to that many of their watches used F.Piguet or JLCs as a base. Actually, my Carree uses a JLC Reverso movement as its base. The quotes about VC being the greatest watchmaker of your grandfathers generation is interesting, but I am not surprised. A friend that lives in Europe once told me if you talk to older generations, the two brands that are of the highest regard in their eyes are Vacheron and Breguet, he said they have little interest in AP, PP, AL&S. In addition, several articles online or even in some books I've read described VC as the pinacle of watch making until roughly the 1950-60s when Patek took on that title.

Interesting that people have mistakened your VC for a Patek. Although, I'm guessing they were not truly into watches, but know the Patek name. I find the flared lugs on the case of your watch are pure VC and not something I'd expect to find on a Patek, AP, AL&S. I agree that some people may have heard of Patek or AP, but not VC. My Dad knew about Patek because he had an uncle that owned one in the 1950s, he knew about AP because when he had his first good watch a GMT Master in the early 1970s he met someone with an AP who showed him the watch told about them being one of the finest watches. It was not until the mid 1980s that he heard of VC when another doctor told him about the brand, as this doctor had practiced in Europe for a while and bought a VC while over there.

It is interesting how the landscape in the world of watches changes. At one point VC was the top brand, and then it became Patek. Some of it may be attributed to changes in ownership with VC, and at times I don't think they were well funded by their owners and their collections became a bit lacking in direction...although that has changed in the last 10+ years. Patek certainly has been a step above in terms of movements, although at the level these watches are at, on some level the difference in quality (other than of an AL&S which seems to be the finest finish) is largely theoretical as tollerances are now so small. I do like many Pateks, but for several years I found some of their designs too old for my taste, and VC were overall more appealing as their designs seemed bolder, more beautiful, and more suitable for a younger person. I don't currently have a Patek in my collection, but I hope to be able to enjoy the ownship experience some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads