• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino. The new Tank Solo XL in steel is $3,400, while the Tank LC XL will set you back about $14,000. Of course, comparing SS to Gold is kind of silly, but if you are after the look rather than the metal, or the movement, I think it is a fair comparison. For $3,500 I can't really think of a watch that I would prefer more, to be honest.
Also kind of irrational, I really don't care for the fact that the Tank LC XL uses a round movement. If it used a square movement, I think I would be more interested in it horologically speaking. But personally, that is something that just really bothers me. That is not a knock on the Piaget movement in general, but just a general preference
smile.gif
. And the size difference is definitely substantial. Already having something of an ultra-thin watch (if the Master Control counts as an ultra-thin), I think I wouldn't mind a dress watch that could stand up to a little more abuse. On a different tangent, I sometimes wonder whether ultra-thin movements really do have problems withstanding daily wear, or whether it is just a preconceived notion we have of such watches. Even then, I feel fairly guilty about the whole ordeal. They made a poor bet at the beginning of law school
smile.gif
. Sometimes it is unwise to bet against your children I guess!

Hi Newcomer,

I was merely pointing out that beyond the case metal there are other factors resulting in the cost difference, such as the movement and work it takes to produce an ultra thin watch. I've tried it on and its impressively thin, but as mentioned, I just don't know how well it would stand up to day to day wear and tear. However, you may be right that the notion of ultra thins being delicate could be something we have as a preconceived notion due to how delicate the cases appear.

As I mentioned in my prior post, I think the Tank Solo is a better watch for day to day use. ETAs while not rare, are good solid workhorses that are durable and relatively easy to have serviced. When you said you would be graduating, I presumed that short of you being a trust fund baby, if you are going out into the work force you would need something that can be worn daily (even if its just in an office). In addition, in its price range there really is nothing new on the market the market that compares to it. Furthermore, you don't want to go on interviews with a gold watch that may cost a lot more than a that interviewer/managing partner's watch. It could send the wrong message about your salary expectations etc.

I agree whole heartedly about your belief the movement would have been more interesting in the Tank XL ultra thin if the movement had been square or rectangular...although I may be a bit biased
wink.gif
since I have the prior model which used a rectangular Piaget movement as a base.

Congrats on your journey through law school...I made the same journey several years ago. Congrats again and wishing you lots of success in whatever area you choose to practice.
Best regards,
Dino

Below is a quick photo of the rectangular movement of the prior Tank XL from the Privee Collection.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino! Your posts and insights are always appreciated. I think that the watch would be a great day-to-day workhorse, and that is definitely something that plays into my calculus!

Also, your Cartier is absolutely gorgeous! Your pictures of it earlier in this thread started my Cartier envy, as I had never really examined the Tank LC or some of the more reserved Tanks. Also, that square movement is something special. It really elevates the watch to another level. Square watches with round movements just seem a bit half-assed. Not enough to preclude me from owning one, but enough to make me think a little bit more. It still looks plenty thin as well, albeit not quite as thin as the new one I presume (not that that is a bad thing, a little thickness goes a long way aesthetically speaking). The rose gold is also very nice on the model. I think I would appear a bit self conscious wearing gold right now, although I would love a rose gold watch in the future! The tank, in particular, looks mighty handsome with those blue hands.

The guilloche pattern on yours is quite striking as well (it is guilloche eh? Not sure what that pattern is called offhand).

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the advantage is as follows. as someone who does a fair bit of jewelry business (buying and selling) through the mail, and online, and for some very high price point items, i have leaned that some people just prefer the low touch. they are busy, or just dont like shopping, even though they like nice things. this gives them the opportunity to go right to the source, completely removing the classic online obstacle of are you getting a fake, and with a few clicks, you have the watch you want at you door the next day. in a sense, its great. i certainly relate to it.
when im interested in a watch, i do most of my investigation online anyway. if i had the funds, i cant think of anything more convenient that buying that way, once my mind was made up.
as to events, since they have your shipping, billing and email addresses, im sure you would get invites to their swanky parties, as a customer of the brand.
smile.gif
Hi Stitch,

I'm sure you have met people that like buying things online. However, at least in my experience, even guys that don't like shopping for clothing, they enjoy the personal experience of buying a high end watch or very high end car from a fine watch store or exotic car dealership. Sure doing research online is great, we all do that. But honestly, I just can't see most of the collectors I know going to their computers to buy a $10,000+ watch. I often look online to see where to get the best deals on certain products, but those are not items that I consider the buying or the ownership to be an "experience." Its not as though I really care about the shopping or ownership experience of a particular USB flash drive.

As for getting invited to the events...don't count on it. They have your name and address but you are simply a number if they don't know who you are. Some of the really nice watch events where they brought multiple versions of tourbillons, perpetual calendar chronographs, and other great items, were limited to 50 people. Its because the store director contacted me our of the blue and asked if I would be interested in going that I was able to attend. Later I got an email confirming I was on the list, but also stating if for some reason I could not make it to let them know because they had people on a waiting list that also wanted to attend. Buying in person and making contacts has its advantages.

I have very little information about this watch, other than I know it is genuine, serial numbers were confirmed by main patek office when I sent it in to be repaired through a Madrid retailer, they said this was the only one to have been made in this exact style other similar styles were made. This was my grandfather's watch (who is now dead) on my dad's side (who is now dead) so I was wondering if any of you could tell me a bit about these.

That's a beauty and something to be treasured. Very interesting lugs, for a Patek. The curved glass and somewhat tear drop shaped lugs (although inverted compared to VC's tear drops) really remind me of vintage Vacherons rather than Pateks. I'd suggest for more info search on the Patek website on Timezone or Puristspro. Also, maybe consider getting an archive extract from Patek (although, I'm not sure of its cost).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it has always made me feel uncomfortable. Also, being a younger guy, I always feel like I am treated as a kid (which happens about 99% of the time), or I feel like I am being judged. But I digress. Because of this, I tend to only shop at a couple places.
When you are younger, yes people at stores will treat you as a kid....but thats going to happen as a new granduate from law school. However, you have to get some thick skin. As a new/young attorney, you are going to be treated as a kid, often by older attorney's who think you should kiss their a$$es because they have been practicing longer than you. Get a thick skin, be polite, but don't take any **** just because you are younger than they are and eventually if you are smart and dilligent you will earn their respect.
Thanks Dino! Your posts and insights are always appreciated. I think that the watch would be a great day-to-day workhorse, and that is definitely something that plays into my calculus!
Also, your Cartier is absolutely gorgeous! Your pictures of it earlier in this thread started my Cartier envy, as I had never really examined the Tank LC or some of the more reserved Tanks. Also, that square movement is something special. It really elevates the watch to another level. Square watches with round movements just seem a bit half-assed. Not enough to preclude me from owning one, but enough to make me think a little bit more. It still looks plenty thin as well, albeit not quite as thin as the new one I presume (not that that is a bad thing, a little thickness goes a long way aesthetically speaking). The rose gold is also very nice on the model. I think I would appear a bit self conscious wearing gold right now, although I would love a rose gold watch in the future! The tank, in particular, looks mighty handsome with those blue hands.The guilloche pattern on yours is quite striking as well (it is guilloche eh? Not sure what that pattern is called offhand).
Thanks for the kind words about my posts and my watches. My first entry into shaped movements was a square VC with a JLC Reverso movement as a base. I agree a round movement stuffed into a square or rectangular watch seems like an easy compromise that IMHO cheapens the significance and purity of design...although its very common even among greats such as PP, AP, and VC.

Yes, the LC Tank XL that I own from the old Privee Collection is not an ultra thin, its thicker than the current Tank XL, but I like the feel and weight that it has. The new one lacks the saphire crystal back in an effort to remain as thin as possible (although, maybe also to conceal the new one's round movement). You are also correct the dials engraving on mine is guiolloche, the new one lacks the guiolloche dial and has a simple silver dial.

You will know when you are ready for a gold dress watch. I bought my first in 2002 when I was 31. I chose rose (rather than white ) as I wanted something in terms of color that looked different from my usual steel sports watches...but I wanted rose because it also seemed softer in color and less flashy than yellow gold, which also seemed a bit too 1980s to me.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing some Tank photos here once you graduate. Trust me, a Tank is very versatile and you willl get a lot of wear from it!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hi Stitch,

I'm sure you have met people that like buying things online.  However, at least in my experience, even guys that don't like shopping for clothing, they enjoy the personal experience of buying a high end watch or very high end car from a fine watch store or exotic car dealership.  Sure doing research online is great, we all do that.  But honestly, I just can't see most of the collectors I know going to their computers to buy a $10,000+  watch.  I often look online to see where to get the best deals on certain products, but those are not items that I consider the buying or the ownership to be an "experience."  Its not as though I really care about the shopping or ownership experience of a particular USB flash drive. 

As for getting invited to the events...don't count on it.  They have your name and address but you are simply a number if they don't know who you are.  Some of the really nice watch events where they brought multiple versions of tourbillons, perpetual calendar chronographs, and other great items, were limited to 50 people.  Its because the store director contacted me our of the blue and asked if I would be interested in going that I was able to attend.  Later I got an email confirming I was on the list, but also stating if for some reason I could not make it to let them know because they had people on a waiting list that also wanted to attend.  Buying in person and making contacts has its advantages. 

hey buddy,

youd be surprised. i know of people that woud just call in their patek orders to their AD hoping they had them, and have it charged to their house account. this is the same, just factory direct. i know its odd, but some people just prefer it that way. they find it easier, and the size of the purchase is not important to them. not my bag, but to each their own.

admittedly i dont know a lot about those types of events, i was referring to the larger less exclusive ones. then again, the type of person who makes his purchases that way, may very well not be interested in these events either.

who knows, i just know some people like to purchase that way. :)

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even then, I feel fairly guilty about the whole ordeal. They made a poor bet at the beginning of law school :). Sometimes it is unwise to bet against your children I guess!

No need to feel guilty I bet they are delighted you did so well and pleased to pay what they offered. My wife and I were in the same situation and the success of our children is worth more to us than a little cash. I would say they made a good bet.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must be one of the strange ones who prefers buying nice things online - even when I was just accompanying my father too often I found the "real experience" kitschy, sprinkled all too often with blatant attempts at ingratiation and ignorance.

If you're selling 4-figure wines or 5-figure watches and the fat kid with specs, zits and a bad crew cut accompanying his dad knows more about your product than you, you have failed at life.

Sigh, guess I am one of those unfortunate misanthropes.

Last edited:

evanrose

Reaction score
A couple of goodies from recently:

The brown Rolex is obviously vintage (and great looking), the silver and gold are my new stainless datejust and a vintage gold datejust, and the Omega was presented to a friend's grandfather upon retirement from Southwestern Bell.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ singular - great pics, i especially like the breitling.

I must be one of the strange ones who prefers buying nice things online - even when I was just accompanying my father too often I found the "real experience" kitschy, sprinkled all too often with blatant attempts at ingratiation and ignorance.
If you're selling 4-figure wines or 5-figure watches and the fat kid with specs, zits and a bad crew cut accompanying his dad knows more about your product than you, you have failed at life.
Sigh, guess I am one of those unfortunate misanthropes.

nothing wrong with proving me right. :)

A couple of goodies from recently:

wow

johnvw

Reaction score
i think the advantage is as follows. as someone who does a fair bit of jewelry business (buying and selling) through the mail, and online, and for some very high price point items, i have leaned that some people just prefer the low touch. they are busy, or just dont like shopping, even though they like nice things. this gives them the opportunity to go right to the source, completely removing the classic online obstacle of are you getting a fake, and with a few clicks, you have the watch you want at you door the next day. in a sense, its great. i certainly relate to it.

when im interested in a watch, i do most of my investigation online anyway. if i had the funds, i cant think of anything more convenient that buying that way, once my mind was made up.

as to events, since they have your shipping, billing and email addresses, im sure you would get invites to their swanky parties, as a customer of the brand. :)

Hi Stitch,

I'm sure you have met people that like buying things online.  However, at least in my experience, even guys that don't like shopping for clothing, they enjoy the personal experience of buying a high end watch or very high end car from a fine watch store or exotic car dealership.  Sure doing research online is great, we all do that.  But honestly, I just can't see most of the collectors I know going to their computers to buy a $10,000+  watch.  I often look online to see where to get the best deals on certain products, but those are not items that I consider the buying or the ownership to be an "experience."  Its not as though I really care about the shopping or ownership experience of a particular USB flash drive. 

As for getting invited to the events...don't count on it.  They have your name and address but you are simply a number if they don't know who you are.  Some of the really nice watch events where they brought multiple versions of tourbillons, perpetual calendar chronographs, and other great items, were limited to 50 people.  Its because the store director contacted me our of the blue and asked if I would be interested in going that I was able to attend.  Later I got an email confirming I was on the list, but also stating if for some reason I could not make it to let them know because they had people on a waiting list that also wanted to attend.  Buying in person and making contacts has its advantages. 

I have very little information about this watch, other than I know it is genuine, serial numbers were confirmed by main patek office when I sent it in to be repaired through a Madrid retailer, they said this was the only one to have been made in this exact style other similar styles were made.  This was my grandfather's watch (who is now dead) on my dad's side (who is now dead) so I was wondering if any of you could tell me a bit about these.

That's a beauty and something to be treasured.  Very interesting lugs, for a Patek.  The curved glass and somewhat tear drop shaped lugs (although inverted compared to VC's tear drops) really remind me of vintage Vacherons rather than Pateks.  I'd suggest for more info search on the Patek website on Timezone or Puristspro.  Also, maybe consider getting an archive extract from Patek (although, I'm not sure of its cost).

+1

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey buddy,
youd be surprised. i know of people that woud just call in their patek orders to their AD hoping they had them, and have it charged to their house account. this is the same, just factory direct. i know its odd, but some people just prefer it that way. they find it easier, and the size of the purchase is not important to them. not my bag, but to each their own.
admittedly i dont know a lot about those types of events, i was referring to the larger less exclusive ones. then again, the type of person who makes his purchases that way, may very well not be interested in these events either.
who knows, i just know some people like to purchase that way.
smile.gif
Nah...not really surprised. I know people that buy almost everything online. As for phone orders with an AD I've done that before, particularly if its something thats in high demand/difficult to get, or out of production, then AD or boutique often will not have it in stock if you just show up. Also, by doing a phone order with my AD for a VC, I got the item I was searching for, and got a discount that saved me enough to essentially give me a free Submariner. If I had bought it online at full price (not that VC does online sales)...well maybe someone else would be wearing my Sub
wink.gif
. To some people the savings would be irrelevant, but I'll gladly take a free watch! Whatever floats your boat.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nah...not really surprised.  I know people that buy almost everything online.  As for phone orders with an AD I've done that before, particularly if its something thats in high demand/difficult to get, or out of production, then AD or boutique often will not have it in stock if you just show up.  Also, by doing a phone order with my AD for a VC, I got the item I was searching for, and got a discount that saved me enough to essentially give me a free Submariner.  If I had bought it online at full price (not that VC does online sales)...well maybe someone else would be wearing my Sub ;) .  To some people the savings would be irrelevant, but I'll gladly take a free watch!   Whatever floats your boat.

sounds good to me, friend. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads