• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score

Sorry, but that C-shape has been overpolished - the area around the bezel is meant to be brushed, not polished.

I don't doubt it; few C-shapes have dauphine hands either, though it's unclear whether that was a post-production swap or something Omega did late in the run of this watch. I suspect the man I bought it from (or the man he bought it from) was not a serious collector and modified it as he saw fit. Nevertheless, I think it's a good-looking watch and I enjoy wearing it.

oisin

Reaction score

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks a lot for your kind words everybody. Best thing to wake up to :)

The official title is JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon 39. Still a bit hard to find at an AD (at least here in the US) I am sure you will get better luck in Singapore HK etc. 

As oisin says I have a few pics in my gallery, but I will fiddle around with my camera this weekend. I'm not much of a photographer but I will do my best. Anything in particular you're looking for bhall41?

I've had it for 5 months now. It's a very elegant understated timepiece, but I'm sure the pics show that. Only 2 people have ever asked me about it. One, my cousin who is interested in watches; and two, a coworker who used to sit near me in our old building and saw watches on my screen all day--"oh is that what you finally decided on?" Otherwise it flies completely under the radar. if you want a watch that really stands out, then this is not the watch for you.

I was looking for just such a timeless/elegant piece to fit the bill as it was for my wedding (sorry for sounding like a broken record I think I've said most of this before), but I've also come to learn its "limitations". Not sporty and not really an every day watch (imo). Should be worn with a suit. Others say that your watch strap doesnt need to match your shoes, but it does bug me. So "brown" days, it sits in the drawer. In time, as my collection grows I'd like to reserve it for more special occasions. But at the same time, I've never regretted my decision to purchase it for the sake of another timepiece. Newcomer is fond of saying its the best moonphase in that price range. I certainly think so, but it really IS hard to beat its elegance from a $$$ standpoint. Sure PP, ALS have killer dress watches w complications, but they cost so much more--and thanks again Newcomer for your fine compliments (though he has threatened me w violence for it)  :tounge:

bhall41, your new zenith would be a perfect partner to it!

the speedy pro on the bund strap above is also awesome!

have you ever thought about putting a brown croco strap on it? I think it would look awesome. I was actually disappointed it comes with a black strap. But I wear brown much much more than black. I agree, strap should match(ish) shoes/belts. Interesting you find it a more suit watch. I certainly wouldn't call it sporty, but it seems like it would have some versatility (like it could work for business casual+).

Cylon

Reaction score
Quote:
Yes I agree that my El Primero (when it eventually arives) would pair with the JLC MUT Moon very nicely! I note your experience of your JLC being very much a dress watch, to be worn with a suit. That might be relevant to my next purchasing decision, as I also have the GO Panomatic Lunar in my sights. I wonder whether the the GO is a little bit more versatile than the JLC? Anyhow, I am mainly thinking aloud at this stage - probably won't make a purchasing decision for at least another 12 monthths.
Do you have any more wrist shots of your JLC? How big is your wrist?
Also really loving the Tudor Black Bay. Might have to purchase one of those in the future.
smile.gif

Quote:
Cylon - Did you find the Master Ultra Thin Moon at an AD in Tysons? I thought I was the only one who matched my watch band with my belt and shoes!! My office just went business casual so I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy a sportier watch or not? I still wear a sport coat sans tie when the temp is 60 degrees or below.

Quote:
have you ever thought about putting a brown croco strap on it? I think it would look awesome. I was actually disappointed it comes with a black strap. But I wear brown much much more than black. I agree, strap should match(ish) shoes/belts. Interesting you find it a more suit watch. I certainly wouldn't call it sporty, but it seems like it would have some versatility (like it could work for business casual+).

bhall41: I'm thinking the El Primero can handle mid cognac, burgundy, dark brown (which I think is stock right?) really well plus all sorts of NATO, Bund, Raptor, Azodi etc fun straps to boot. The JLC MUT can handle black (stock), grey, navy. That's a really great range to cover with just 2 watches. You are really only missing a light honey brown. I remember gdl recommended a honey brown with the MUT, and oisin just now w brown (im assuming dark). I'll tell you my wife got me a midbrown/cognac strap for my bday and I returned it because I wasn't 100% about it--the black just looked better. I'm still thinking a dark brown would look good too, just havent gotten around to it.

As for the business casual question oisin raised, it may just come down to personal preference. I'd (want to) play around with a chunkier watch for business casual (GO senator observer/pano?
devil.gif
) but I don't know why. I think it may have to do with the "ultra thinness" of the case coupled with the minimalism of the dial that lends itself to a really refined look. Could just be me though. I won't lie, I wear it with casual clothes but I still stand by what I say.

Cuttingboard: I did! I was actually about to pull the trigger on the GO senator at Finks in Tyson's 1, went over to Tysons 2 on a whim and there it was at Lillequist & Beckstead. In the store for 3 days. Bought it on the spot after a bit of a haggle of course
biggrin.gif
If your office is going business casual..JLC Master series is still a good choice, but if youre looking for some pure scalability then you cant beat the submariner

dukerules

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking for years, but finally decided to register, and maybe post a bit. I'm a big watch guy, but also enjoy my denim, shell cordovan, boots and such.

I'll start off with one of my favorites, and a workhorse in my collection:

dshap

Reaction score

Just wanted to introduce myself.  I've been lurking for years, but finally decided to register, and maybe post a bit.  I'm a big watch guy, but also enjoy my denim, shell cordovan, boots and such.

I'll start off with one of my favorites, and a workhorse in my collection:

Sup bro

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez, I am lovin' that BP FF. Definitely one of my favorite divers. If only they made it in a more reasonable size, it would definitely be on my radar.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bhall41: I'm thinking the El Primero can handle mid cognac, burgundy, dark brown (which I think is stock right?) really well plus all sorts of NATO, Bund, Raptor, Azodi etc fun straps to boot. The JLC MUT can handle black (stock), grey, navy. That's a really great range to cover with just 2 watches. You are really only missing a light honey brown. I remember gdl recommended a honey brown with the MUT, and oisin just now w brown (im assuming dark). I'll tell you my wife got me a midbrown/cognac strap for my bday and I returned it because I wasn't 100% about it--the black just looked better. I'm still thinking a dark brown would look good too, just havent gotten around to it.

Just my 0.02, navy padded croc with contrast stitching for the El Primero looks nice in my mind's eye.

Last edited:

blenden

Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify the watch the model is wearing in this video?

I've linked to the time where the watch is most visible (2:30). It might be obvious, but I don't have a lot of experience with wristwatches
shog[1].gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be any number. That is a fairly common type of watch--it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads