• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

atila

Reaction score
I think a bit oversized (read: 40-42mm) is nice on certain watches, but anything larger than that on the average guy is too big.

I'm a smaller dude (athletic build), 5'5 145lbs and I have a 40mm that is the biggest I would ever wear. It is more trendy right now because it is bigger than the traditional 36-38mm while not being too "fashion forward".

junior varsity, I think that Omega looks good at the size it is but if you got the 45mm it would look too big.

junior varsity

Reaction score

+1. I'm all for large watches for utility purposes, but when Blancpain goes from this (40mm):

to this (45mm):

Something isn't right in the world.

umm... supply and demand...
simple economics... if the masses and the fashion magazines demand bigger watches, the manufacturers must supply.. or they'll be eliminated
the only civilian watch firm that hasnt gone big is probably rolex...
omega has gone big with its railmaster XXL 49.2mm beast ... and they made 45mm planet oceans..

photo courtesy of watchuseek

junior varsity

Reaction score

Something wrong with those guys? I don't think so.

man, those pictures are like older than a lot of the people on here...
obviously style is supposed to be long term, but you know why we dont wear fedoras like 1920s anymore? because that isnt 21st century.
people have tried to bring back dress hats many times and they've failed miserably...
we must progress with the times and embrace the changes...

Last edited:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

umm... supply and demand...
simple economics... if the masses and the fashion magazines demand bigger watches, the manufacturers must supply.. or they'll be eliminated
the only civilian watch firm that hasnt gone big is probably rolex...
omega has gone big with its railmaster XXL 49.2mm beast ... and they made 45mm planet oceans..

photo courtesy of watchuseek

And men also wear this:

It doesn't mean it looks good...

Also, if you see how well the vintage market does, there is something to be said for 33 - 35mm watches that are 30+ years old.

Last edited:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Diego-Maradona-wears-Hublot-Watch-Big-Bang.jpg

The only thing Maradona can be counted on to give a good opinion on is cocaine.

junior varsity

Reaction score

Also, if you see how well the vintage market does, there is something to be said for 33 - 35mm watches that are 30+ years old.

yeah, i dont think i can go into vintages... if i pay big bucks i expect brand spanking new custom made just for me...

style_man

Reaction score
JV- small watches are not like fedoras. Fedoras went out of style fifty years ago. Watches only started getting big in the last decade or so, and we're already seeing the trend moving back towards moderately sized watches. Sorry to say, but it's a pretty good chance your oversized watches will look ridiculous to even yourself in just a few years. I buy my watches for their enduring style and the longevity of their designs, not their trendiness.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

JV- small watches are not like fedoras. Fedoras went out of style fifty years ago. Watches only started getting big in the last decade or so, and we're already seeing the trend moving back towards moderately sized watches. Sorry to say, but it's a pretty good chance your oversized watches will look ridiculous to even yourself in just a few years. I buy my watches for their enduring style and the longevity of their designs, not their trendiness.

:nodding:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

junior varsity

Reaction score

so thats why omega unleashed a 49mm beast recently and they increased sizes of their planet ocean line with 42mm and 45mm compared to the old seamaster models, panerais are in ultra high demand, people are buying huge hublots, and rolex released the 41mm datejust 2 model back in 2009?
i think i can see what you are going to say as a rebuttal - that this is the climax, and soon it'll go out of fashion... :plain:

you have to understand, that people are getting fatter, bigger, every year...
back in the 1950s an average american male was definitely not the size of an average 21st century american male for sure, so obviously watches can be a bit smaller to fit smaller body proportions...
but have you seen what an average american man looks like today? then compare that with say an average british man... or a chinese man...
bigger watches are here to stay man...

Last edited:

style_man

Reaction score
The railmaster and planet ocean have been around for a couple years, at the height of the trend. Panerai fans among watch connoisseurs are dwindling and the price hikes brought about by in-house movements are making them inaccessible to many potential customers. The only people buying huge Hublots are rappers and toolbags like Diego Maradona above. Rolex's bigger datejust is still smaller than your ideal, and is being made alongside the standard 36mm version.

I agree that watches probably will never gravitate to the 33-35mm models of old. However, I think it's likely that they'll find a comfortable average of about 38-42mm.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The railmaster and planet ocean have been around for a couple years, at the height of the trend. Panerai fans among watch connoisseurs are dwindling and the price hikes brought about by in-house movements are making them inaccessible to many potential customers. The only people buying huge Hublots are rappers and toolbags like Diego Maradona above. Rolex's bigger datejust is still smaller than your ideal, and is being made alongside the standard 36mm version.

I agree that watches probably will never gravitate to the 33-35mm models of old. However, I think it's likely that they'll find a comfortable average of about 38-42mm.

Agreed. Also, some very respectable companies didn't jump on the massive-watch-across-the-board-trend.

bhall41

Reaction score
JV,

While the trend has been towards larger watches over the last decade, I observe that:

(a) There is bound to be a counter trend towards moderate sized watches, perhaps not returning to the days when 33 mm to 35 mm was the norm for men's watches, but certainly a trend away from 44 mm+ watches - purchase a 45 mm PO at your peril!

(b) You need to appreciate where you are posting your watch photos and expressing your opinion. This is not GQ magazine. People here are not, by and large, interested in the latest trend, although they do admittedly follow their own trends. I assume, given your large number of posts in the comparatively short period of time you have been a member of SF, that you value people's opinions here, in which case the penny should have dropped by now that oversized watches are not loved.

junior varsity

Reaction score

Agreed. Also, some very respectable companies didn't jump on the massive-watch-across-the-board-trend.

hmm? how respectable do you want to get? just to name a few high end and highly respectable
IWC? they released a 45mm portofino hand wound for 2011.5 and the standard portofino for 2011.5 jumped 4mm from 38mm to 42mm
Ulysse Nardin i posted earlier was 43mm and thats their newer model... and "the freak" model (drool) is 45mm
Omega dress watches - the new deville hour vision (new 8500 movement) is 41mm compared to the 37mm old devilles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads