• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can we request a bigger picture? I really can't appreciatte the details.
biggrin.gif
lol8[1].gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

After a few months of lurking I’m ready to ask for some advice from this knowledgeable crowd. Seeking  suggestions for my son’s college graduation present within the following parameters:

• Appropriate for an everyday business casual environment, but not out of place with a suit

• Stylish, but not flashy

• Medium case size, with a 6½” wrist I’m guessing 40mm and under

• Strap, not bracelet

• Automatic movement

• Budget of $2,500 – higher than the Poor Man’s thread, but perhaps sub entry level for you guys. Would consider venturing into the preowned market, but would have more comfort if the sellers had a U.S. brick and mortar presence too, e.g., Govberg
Thanks for your thoughts. Welcome all suggestions, comments and questions.
Frederique Constant makes some watches that are very classic but in your budget. Perhaps start with the slim-line automatic , at 40mm. Or if you want 37mm, they make one that has quartz, No second hand-- so who's gonna know?

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
^ I'd second the FC rec. My personal favorite is a 42mm moonphase.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.5" wrist and I tried on the FC Moonphase. I wanted to love it so bad because it's an in house caliber, love moonphases, and the design is rather understated and elegant. BUT it is 42 mm, and wears bigger than that to me in person. At 38 mm it would have been a great match, but it was literally a huge saucer on me. May want to keep that in mind. The blue strap on the blue version is also much bluer than I had hoped, and would have looked better in a brown strap or even black.

Another +1 for Nomos, of which I agree the Orion was the most classy to me. Manual wind, but beautiful on the wrist for me in 38 mm (they also make a ~36 mm I think that seemed a bit small by modern standards). That was my second choice, believe it or not, after the JLC Ultra Thin Reserve De Marche, which are quite a bit apart in pricing. You can probably get a used Zenith Elite Ultra Thin small seconds around that price, if you like that sort of thing. I do.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I went to the Omega store today and saw the Speedmaster, the one with the story of the trip to the moon, you know which one. It's beautiful! I need to add that one to my collection, so i need to start saving some money for that one. They have the one with the steel bracelet but there are some combos that are really nice.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I bought my wife the 35mm Orion. I wear it often and I think it looks good by modern standards, but I also enjoy more classically sized dress watches. I think the lug length helps to fill the wrist. The dial is a bit more balanced to my eye on the 35 vs the 38 (on the 38mm the sub seconds starts to creep too close to the center) but that is a tiny nit to pick.

The FC I thought wore smaller than it's dimensions because of the lugs, but it is a lot of watch face. I didn't mention it previously because of the size.

If the OP buys new I'm not sure there are better options out there than NOMOS or FC. Still lots of options, but I'd rank those two at the top.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can we request a bigger picture? I really can't appreciatte the details. :D
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
derp hows this for "details"? some spillage going on there.
900x900px-LL-89aa2692_image.jpeg
So I went to the Omega store today and saw the Speedmaster, the one with the story of the trip to the moon, you know which one. It's beautiful! I need to add that one to my collection, so i need to start saving some money for that one. They have the one with the steel bracelet but there are some combos that are really nice.
so nice. speedy on that strap is so much nicer than on the bracelet imho.

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because I went through this same dilemma a while ago, thought you might want to see a few pics of said watches on a 6.5" wrist. Of the two FC, the white wears larger I think because of the contrast/whiteness. Not sure if that shows up in the picture.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

how much?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B, both are nice, i prefer the first strap. great mom/son pic.

d4nimal - i like that last pic the most.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Might as well wait for NOMOS to incorporate the swing system. I think the plan is to have it in all their movements within the next couple years.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Might as well wait for NOMOS to incorporate the swing system. I think the plan is to have it in all their movements within the next couple years.
I believe they said they will swap/upgrade any model down the line if they haven't changed it over. I al hoping they do the Club soon as I have had my eye on that model for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads