• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Looks good ReversoLover....don't let mimo get under your skin LOL!

stitchy hurry up with teh vintage Explorer pix please....frilly's arms are about to explode and he may have a watch casualty.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Wore this "festive Daytona" look yesterday ....

ReversoLover

Reaction score
I personally don't see the big deal about Hublot...I tried one on in the Dallas boutique and wasn't blown away. The sales lady in said boutique however...:nodding:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great-looking watch there, Keith.

1016, as promised!

ese3umy6.jpg

y9y6a7yv.jpg

pa6ymaje.jpg

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Same here...

Second that

BTW I have a thigh that is comparable to that wrist!

KeithT Love it all, super clean look with the Daytona :nodding:

Stitchy, what vintage would that 1016 be?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an old explorer, that is very desirable for some reason. I'm not exactly sure the history, but a standard vintage explore seems to go for about 1500 and these fetch 6-8k or more.

Maybe someone here who knows more about the history can explain what the story is. I would certainly like to know, as I haven't really looked into it yet.

Last edited:

alpyigit

Reaction score
Yes, I heard something about a possible change in the color AP is using on the Jumbo. I love the color of mine and the way it reacts to different lighting situations. Yes, AP has used lots of blues for various models.
That's correct. The dial color is changed to a dark tone and with a new logo font/design..

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's an old explorer, that is very desirable for some reason. I'm not exactly sure the history, but a standard vintage explore seems to go for about 1500 and these fetch 6-8k or more.

Maybe someone here who knows more about the history can explain what the story is. I would certainly like to know, as I haven't really looked into it yet.

Dino will expound on this in great detail but wasn't the 1016 widely associated with several "historical" cool stuff:

1. Sir Edmund Hillary - or Tenzing Norgay - wearing the piece when they summited Mt Everest. Long discussion about whether or not they actually wore the pieces or if they just brought some that Rolex provided for them along for the ride.

2. The 1016 is the original "James Bond" watch from the Sir Ian Fleming novels (not the movies). Fleming himself probably wore a 1016 and incorporated it into the Bond character in the first novels.

Other possible factors?

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also stitchy those pics of that 1016 are frigging awesome. Looks like a well maintained piece.

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info, frilly. much appreciated. glad you liked teh pics!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Nice looking Daytona setting there, KT...definitely the one that my heart desires. The watch, I mean. Not that we're not friends and all but...

My workout buddy told me my arms need more work. I told him his wrist game needs more work. Boooom!

It's only because that hideous Hublot is so heavy. If you'd have bought that Graham Chronofighter you wanted instead of your dainty Patek, you'd have arms like his. (And possibly tiny little raisin testicles, but let's not go there...)

1016, as promised!

Mmmm...smell the history.

BTW I have a thigh that is comparable to that wrist!

You have nasty tribal tattoos on your thighs? Didn't see that one coming!

Last edited:

ReversoLover

Reaction score
Fantastic pictures of the Explorer! The vintage ones are so much more charming than the current production line IMO

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitch, love that old Explorer. Also like all the recent RO love on the board recently. Rekindling my interest on that one for sure.

Back to the old BP today:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good flake!!

We also just looked at this tudor sub, 7016/0. Cust wanted too much tho, do no buy. :(

zu2eju5e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads