• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer black. But I do really like the white as well. Honestly, I do not know which I would pick if I could only choose one or the other.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know I'm going to get stoned for this, but I find it kind of boring to see page after page of Rolex, Speedys, and Pannys.  I know that's what the majority of you buy, and you all have your own reasons for it, but where's the uniqueness?  I guess it's an extension of the SF groupthink. Kind of like AE shoes.
Don't get me wrong.  I can appreciate that they are nice watches, but after seeing the 379th Blue Submariner, it starts to loose the specialness.  

1. popular watches are popular for a reason.

2. most people can "only" afford to have a few luxury watches, so its almost inevitable that many people, especially like minded people who are looking for certain design features and certain purchase to value ratios, would end up with similar, if not identical watches, within the aforementioned subset of popular watches.

3. as has been stated, if you keep up with the thread long term, you will see indeed a very nice variety of watches featured here. sure there is group think here as i just said, but there is also a lot of individuality expressed here. some of the individuality expressed might be nuances in similar models, and some might be in different models and brands altogether, for example, roger p's recent zenith and his moser. either way, its not monochrome up in this TWAT.

4. no one will stone you.

5. please do not ever again compare rolexes, omegas and panerais to AEs. that might get you stoned.

6. there are far more black faced subs than blue, in these pages.

7. beautiful watches are always special. the 1st time, and the 5 millionth.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have watched this thread from far but stitchy nailed it. Especially no matter it's the first or 5 millionth time. There's something special about a beautiful watch. Every piece has special value and a special story behind it.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like-a de womynz!

Who ever swore off all hot blondes just because one of his buddies once had one?

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HorseHide

Reaction score

I like AE shoes. Sue me.

Not to interrupt the beating, but 116520 Daytona -- black or white dial?

I have the black dial (and it's gorgeous) but I oftentimes wish I had the white. I've actually played with the idea of trading...

BTW, wearing my JLC master geographic for the first time today (if I wasn't a tech luddite I'd post a pic). It's a wonderful watch and I can actually see (as oppose to calculate) what time it is in two timezones! Although I'm not enthusiastic that the central (US) time zone is marked as "Mexico" and the pacific time zone is "Los Angeles" (I spend most of my time on the West Coast in San Francisco). Those nits speak more to my OCD than the watch.

Unrelated to watches, AE shoes are meh at best.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know I'm going to get stoned for this, but I find it kind of boring to see page after page of Rolex, Speedys, and Pannys.  I know that's what the majority of you buy, and you all have your own reasons for it, but where's the uniqueness?  I guess it's an extension of the SF groupthink.  Kind of like AE shoes.

Don't get me wrong.  I can appreciate that they are nice watches, but after seeing the 379th Blue Submariner, it starts to loose the specialness.  

You missed the Patek collection posted recently.

I was actually about to comment to the effect that this thread was starting to become too chock-full of Pateks, JLCs and APROs.

This thread needs more modified Seikos and G-Shocks

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm going to get stoned for this, but I find it kind of boring to see page after page of Rolex, Speedys, and Pannys. I know that's what the majority of you buy, and you all have your own reasons for it, but where's the uniqueness? I guess it's an extension of the SF groupthink. Kind of like AE shoes.

Don't get me wrong. I can appreciate that they are nice watches, but after seeing the 379th Blue Submariner, it starts to loose the specialness.
I think Roger nailed it...with "And your contributions to this thread have been.... ????

We welcome people with interests in a variety of brands. Yes, many people here own a Rolex, Speedy, or PAM, but maybe its partly a statement as to the quality they provide and how they fit into a person's life style. I have some Rolex watches and a few brands that are considered more refined. But some of the more refined pieces are not watches I'd wear for more rugged activities. In addition, even after wearing some of my "more refined watches" I still enjoy wearing a Rolex. So every watch has a place from a basic Air King to a highly complicated F.P. Journe. In addition, most people here are excited when they purchase a new watch no matter what the brand is, and most of us enjoy sharing in the purchaser's excitement. If you don't like the photos people post, then skip them.

If you want to look only at Independents, F.P Journe, or Lange, etc there are forums with dedicated sections for them. This isn't one of them.
Not to interrupt the beating, but 116520 Daytona -- black or white dial?
White is easier to read than the black...but on the current version I greatly prefer the black dial. I've owned black and white of the El Primero based Daytonas, but only kept the black dials. Its a watch you really need to try on to see which appeals to you. I preferred it when the subdials on the white dial were black. I find them a bit washed out when its silver on a white dial. Good luck.

I might stone him.

7. is spot on bro!
fistbump.gif

Who ever swore off all hot blondes just because one of his buddies once had one?
+1,000,000
I was actually about to comment to the effect that this thread was starting to become too chock-full of Pateks, JLCs and APROs.

This thread needs more modified Seikos and G-Shocks

Very nice response to ABCXYZ!

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an aside Dino, you have been on an absolute roll lately.

And well said Stitchy. I agree on all points.

And finally, this thread has become as much about posting pictures as it has about discussing watches. It is actually much more about discussion. If I just wanted to oogle pictures, there are plenty of websites that I could turn to. But there is no other thread that has as many posters who put so much thought into every one of their posts.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And finally, this thread has become as much about posting pictures as it has about discussing watches. It is actually much more about discussion. If I just wanted to oogle pictures, there are plenty of websites that I could turn to. But there is no other thread that has as many posters who put so much thought into every one of their posts.
Thanks Nuke.

I think you hit upon a very valuable point. That while we enjoy seeing photos of people's latest pride and joy and their heirloom watches, and photos do liven the place up (especially of Kate.) this thread is so much more. Many of us come here for the discussions, well reasoned opinions, the humor, friendships, and to learn. I also like the general atmosphere. Some forums for watches seem too bubble gum basic, and you see the same question asked a thousand times. Other forums are so technical (which can be good for answering certain questions) that they get too bogged down, and the discussions are so slow that they nearly put the reader into a coma. Here there is enough of a mix between newbie questions that are easy to answer, and more thought provoking questions from seasoned collectors, which results in there being something for everyone to enjoy and participate in, on this thread. I just don't like to see someone suggest that some watches are too common or boring for owners to post photos, because I see that as not being very constructive and possibly inhibiting valuable contributors from feeling welcome to share their ideas, their purchase experiences, and photos of what may mean a great deal to them.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm going to get stoned for this, but I find it kind of boring to see page after page of Rolex, Speedys, and Pannys.  I know that's what the majority of you buy, and you all have your own reasons for it, but where's the uniqueness?  I guess it's an extension of the SF groupthink. Kind of like AE shoes.

1. popular watches are popular for a reason.

2. most people can "only" afford to have a few luxury watches, so its almost inevitable that many people, especially like minded people who are looking for certain design features and certain purchase to value ratios, would end up with similar, if not identical watches, within the aforementioned subset of popular watches.

3. as has been stated, if you keep up with the thread long term, you will see indeed a very nice variety of watches featured here. sure there is group think here as i just said, but there is also a lot of individuality expressed here. some of the individuality expressed might be nuances in similar models, and some might be in different models and brands altogether, for example, roger p's recent zenith and his moser. either way, its not monochrome up in this TWAT.

5. please do not ever again compare rolexes, omegas and panerais to AEs. that might get you stoned.

6. there are far more black faced subs than blue, in these pages.

Well said, sums up my thoughts as well.

I might add if he compares rolex, omega and panerai to GG and EG, he might get away with it :fistbump:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Nuke.

I think you hit upon a very valuable point.  That while we enjoy seeing photos of people's latest pride and joy and their heirloom watches, and photos do liven the place up (especially of Kate.) this thread is so much more.  Many of us come here for the discussions, well reasoned opinions, the humor, friendships, and to learn.  I also like the general atmosphere.  Some forums for watches seem too bubble gum basic, and you see the same question asked a thousand times.  Other forums are so technical (which can be good for answering certain questions) that they get too bogged down, and the discussions are so slow that they nearly put the reader into a coma.  Here there is enough of a mix between newbie questions that are easy to answer, and more thought provoking questions from seasoned collectors, which results in there being something for everyone to enjoy and participate in, on this thread.  I just don't like to see someone suggest that some watches are too common or boring for owners to post photos, because I see that as not being very constructive and possibly inhibiting valuable contributors from feeling welcome to share their ideas, their purchase experiences, and photos of what may mean a great deal to them. 

Yes, Dino, this thread has a perfect bland of entertainment, love the hottie shots, technical aspects and personal insights and stories of various brands, all mixed into one thread that you can easily read and follow.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fear that we are about to see an avalanche of Spock watches. Which will be accelerated when I show off my newest acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads