• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch is gorgeous. If it had a date it would be on my wrist by now

Blasphemy, I know ;)

Or this bad boy--related:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

also lovely, though i like the simpler non chrono on this watch for some reason. also, isnt that a touch more espensive?

I believe it comes right in at $10k. Usually you can get 15% off of ADs with JLC too.

McWu

Reaction score

So I was told by my fiance to give her some watch ideas for a wedding gift for me.  Budget is $10K.  I really like the dive watch style and the fact they they are rugged so some scratches will only add character.  A nicer dress watch is in the cards but I feel I would not wear it daily.  

So far my ideas are:
Omega Planet Ocean - Black dial, gray bezel, 42mm
Rolex Submariner - undecided on color
What other dive watches are on this caliber?  I feel like I have went through a ton and none pique my interest.

Now I told her I like the 2nd hand market idea which would put a Rolex Deepsea or a IWC Portuguese Auto (though not a dive watch).  I love the look of 70s sub with the patina and yellowish lume but she thinks they are too old plus she wants to see it in person.

Any ideas or pointers would be great!

If you're looking for a solid dive watch that'll do daily duty and come out 20 years later looking great? I've experienced a full spectrum of dive watches from Seiko to AP and one of the top contenders for this slot is still the Rolex Sub-C. Classic yet modern design, will do both dress/casual duty with ease, and has all the nice modern touches, including the one of the best bezels and clasps (with glidelock micro-adjustment) in the business. Plus, they can be had for well under $10k.

There are plenty of more "interesting" divers out there, but I doubt you'll find one that is as complete a package as the Sub-C.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is a guy named Johnny whose shop is coincidentally right across the hall from Peter Lee in TST. The "shop" is really just his collection in which he sits all day chilling, smoking cigs and drinking tea. He sells something if he feels like it. I used to hang out there when I was getting stuff made at Peter's and just talk watches, learn from him and watch as he tinkered and played with his toys!

more pix of his shop.... it's SO cool...

I don't know anything about this watch but I really dig it...

THe shop around the way (with the front facing Middle Road) has nicer people, better watches, and a better reputation. ARe you in TST now?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

THe shop around the way (with the front facing Middle Road) has nicer people, better watches, and a better reputation. ARe you in TST now?

I know that shop as well. Like I said, Jon's place isn't so much a "shop" as it is a guy with a collection who happens to have a storefront. At the time it was just fun to hang out and learn little details and some history of certain brands, watch him work on different pieces and have tea. I can't say anything for the people in the other shop but Jon is beyond "nice" so I'm not sure why you would mention that. Usually Peter would be working on something across the hall and I'd go get some chai and sweets from the Indian joints in Chung King Mansion!

Left HK and Asia in general last summer, but hoping to visit again next spring. Any one know anything about that last one... I believe it's "Cler"...??

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

So I was told by my fiance to give her some watch ideas for a wedding gift for me.  Budget is $10K.  I really like the dive watch style and the fact they they are rugged so some scratches will only add character.  A nicer dress watch is in the cards but I feel I would not wear it daily.  

So far my ideas are:
Omega Planet Ocean - Black dial, gray bezel, 42mm
Rolex Submariner - undecided on color
What other dive watches are on this caliber?  I feel like I have went through a ton and none pique my interest.

Now I told her I like the 2nd hand market idea which would put a Rolex Deepsea or a IWC Portuguese Auto (though not a dive watch).  I love the look of 70s sub with the patina and yellowish lume but she thinks they are too old plus she wants to see it in person.

Any ideas or pointers would be great!

hate to be that guy, but a rolex GMT IIc or the ceramic submariner. out of all the dozens of watches ive owned, these are some of my favorites. they hold value better, and are just all around great watches and like has been said...well under 10K. buy the rolex and a pair of G&Gs and still have some cash left over for a few shirts or ties. WIN!

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that shop as well. Like I said, Jon's place isn't so much a "shop" as it is a guy with a collection who happens to have a storefront. At the time it was just fun to hang out and learn little details and some history of certain brands, watch him work on different pieces and have tea. I can't say anything for the people in the other shop but Jon is beyond "nice" so I'm not sure why you would mention that. Usually Peter would be working on something across the hall and I'd go get some chai and sweets from the Indian joints in Chung King Mansion!

Left HK and Asia in general last summer, but hoping to visit again next spring. Any one know anything about that last one... I believe it's "Cler"...??

NVM

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Rolex guy but I agree it would make one heckuva wedding gift. The sub-c would also hold its value more than any dive watch which may not be that relevant since this will be your wedding gift. Alas the price increase last year probably puts the DSSD out of your range unless you have a very very generous dealer in which case please pm me his info too! Since its somewhat relevant to the past few posts, here's my wedding gift (from the in-laws)
So I was told by my fiance to give her some watch ideas for a wedding gift for me. Budget is $10K. I really like the dive watch style and the fact they they are rugged so some scratches will only add character. A nicer dress watch is in the cards but I feel I would not wear it daily. So far my ideas are: Omega Planet Ocean - Black dial, gray bezel, 42mm Rolex Submariner - undecided on color What other dive watches are on this caliber? I feel like I have went through a ton and none pique my interest. Now I told her I like the 2nd hand market idea which would put a Rolex Deepsea or a IWC Portuguese Auto (though not a dive watch). I love the look of 70s sub with the patina and yellowish lume but she thinks they are too old plus she wants to see it in person. Any ideas or pointers would be great!

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is a guy named Johnny whose shop is coincidentally right across the hall from Peter Lee in TST. The "shop" is really just his collection in which he sits all day chilling, smoking cigs and drinking tea. He sells something if he feels like it. I used to hang out there when I was getting stuff made at Peter's and just talk watches, learn from him and watch as he tinkered and played with his toys!

more pix of his shop.... it's SO cool...

I don't know anything about this watch but I really dig it...

Very cool - anyone deets on this watch?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I believe it comes right in at $10k. Usually you can get 15% off of ADs with JLC too.

not only are you correct, i am a marsupial. the MSRP is less on the chrono than on the memovox tributes by over a grand.

hate to be that guy, but a rolex GMT IIc or the ceramic submariner. out of all the dozens of watches ive owned, these are some of my favorites. they hold value better, and are just all around great watches and like has been said...well under 10K. buy the rolex and a pair of G&Gs and still have some cash left over for a few shirts or ties. WIN!

you dont hate it, you cherish being THAT guy. ;)

while i agree that those are both great watches and would happy to have them, considering this is a wedding gift, i dont think how well they hold their value will be a big factor. i dont imagine he plans on selling this wedding gift. but either way, they are great options and no reason not to go with them if that is what appeals most.

and i would definitely say to get GGs regardless of what watch is chosen. :devil:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

not only are you correct, i am a marsupial. the MSRP is less on the chrono than on the memovox tributes by over a grand.
you dont hate it, you cherish being THAT guy. ;)

while i agree that those are both great watches and would happy to have them, considering this is a wedding gift, i dont think how well they hold their value will be a big factor. i dont imagine he plans on selling this wedding gift. but either way, they are great options and no reason not to go with them if that is what appeals most.

and i would definitely say to get GGs regardless of what watch is chosen. :devil:

we know. ;)

the memovox reissue is a stellar watch for sure...if it were priced a tad lower, it would be a much stronger contender for me.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Clearly I need some new in-laws. And in order for that to happen, I would also require a new fiance.

Never mind.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after posting pix of the "Little Shop of Horrifically Cool Watches" I've received a bunch of PMs concerning the shop so... here it is

please don't all call at once! :happy:

and FYI... he doesn't update his website very often so if you are really looking for something, I would email him. Had I had the funds last time I was there I would have scored my JLC Reverso for quite a deal!

One last thing... ChicagoRon and I have determined that the grumpy, not nice guy who occasionally works there is a curly-haired white dude. John is the guy in my pic who is a very cool and almost-always-willing-to-chat-about-watches, middle-aged Asian guy... just so you know... talk to John!

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very cool - anyone deets on this watch?

it is by "Cler Watch" although I know nothing about them. It has that very cool scalloped, border around the face... and tho the colors are not great in the pic, very nice patina and the sub-seconds hand is cobalt blue. as a casual weekender, I really loved it... should have grabbed it. I think he wanted about $650 USD but not having any info I was at a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads