• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  Looks like I will be doing more research into which specific Rolex Sub I would like.  

Also DerekS,  I am in Nashville as well.  Any specific stores you recommend?  I live in Green Hills so King Jewelers is right there for Rolex but anywhere else?  I have only lived here a year.

Also what are G&Gs...I feel like I should know this but don't :(

no ****?? VERY cool! always nice to meet a neighbor. King Jewlers is a great AD, but they dont carry Rolex. To my knowledge, theres only 1 AD for rolex in the middle TN area and thats Bell Jewelers in Murfreesboro. A few years ago, all the rolex ADs were dropped by rolex here in nashville.

theres a couple places here that i trust for used rolex...which is typically how i buy.

**G&Gs are Gaziano & Girling shoes. highly recommended if youre a shoe guy.

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
Gaziano & Girling -- high end shoe maker. Search for them you will not be disappointed, but your bank account may be
biggrin.gif

rnguy001 -- you are in NOVA?

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Cylon - yup right now in Arlington. Be moving just across the American Legion Bridge come November..

Gaziano & Girling -- high end shoe maker. Search for them you will not be disappointed, but your bank account may be :D

rnguy001 -- you are in NOVA?

Jbarwick - just a thought, but Panerai make great wedding gifts ;) Have you ever considered one?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  Looks like I will be doing more research into which specific Rolex Sub I would like.  

I've heard nothing but great things about the BH boutique and Chad in particular..

also need to add....the best boutique service IMHO is the beverly hills panerai boutique. the staff there is absolutely unreal. Chad was managing it when i was on my buying spree...He would open early or stay late for the collectors to come hang out. A very knowledgeable, helpful, and polite fella. I really hope he's still there. If anyone happens to drop in there, look for that bald fella and tell him hello. :slayer:

Yeah, I hate to admit it but a big part of me agrees with you. If you're spending that much on the highest tier watch brands (not to mention multiple items from said brand, though the salesman may not have known that..), then I'd like to think you're buying more than just a timepiece. I would expect their customer service to match the level of craftsmanship of their watches That being said, it doesn't mean customers necessarily get a free pass to get whatever they want (not insinuating that this particular customer would or did..)

There are so many times I've been treated so well by AD's (mainly because I'm never pushy, I'm genuinely passionate about watches and respect the salespeople's time..), and I feel actual guilt when I can't buy from that store more often..

^^i gotta admit, I think specifically because he bought a lange he is entitled to fantastic treatment from lange. These arent $5k watches. hell, if i bought a few 6 figure watches, id expect them to throw me a party at the boutique that resembled a rap video.

The IWC AD in nashville is really great. I went in with zero plan to buy anything and just oogle over some watches...one of the salesmen knew me from the panerai world...They opened a bottle of champagne, gave me a hat, a few hardbound books, a couple magazines....it was like a ******* party. They were fully aware that i was not going to buy anything. But they spent a good 2 hours with me showing me all kinds of watches...taking stuff out of the safe to show, etc. Its not a busy store, but the couple people that did come in were given drinks and shown anything they wanted to see. I really wish i could have bought something, because i think they deserved the business.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Responding to a bunch of stuff... don't feel like multi-quoting:

1> Customer Service - so important.... sorry, but the Langhe is not worth the money in parts/resale, so they really ought to give you a good experience and look. But in general, that is the point of a differentiated product strategy... part of the differentiation is the mechanics, metals, etc. but the value is also in the exclusivity and treatment you should receive from the manufacturer. I'm going to chalk it up to them being German (J/K).

Funny side note on that.. a wonderful high end audio store in Columbus used to treat me like a king when I was in college... they made a good investment.. sold me some used stuff on the cheap, and when I am ready to buy big, I was planning to cross the country if I had to so I could buy from them... but they are out of business :(

2> G&G - they are beautiful shoes, but they're narrow as hell... if you have a bigger foot, might make sense to try Edward Green or JM Weston.

3> Nashville - don't remember the name, but there was a very good place upstairs on the main drag near Vandy - had a great selection of pre-owned stuff and very friendly staff, but it's been like 6 years since I've been there. I know - this is less than unhelpful.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
theres a couple places here that i trust for used rolex...which is typically how i buy.

Care to let me in on these sources? Also King Jewelers in where my fiancee's sister when to get a Submariner for her husband.

As to the Panerai comments, I have not seen them in person but love the style of some of them. When I look at their prices they are generally $10K+

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Responding to a bunch of stuff... don't feel like multi-quoting:

2> G&G - they are beautiful shoes, but they're narrow as hell... if you have a bigger foot, might make sense to try Edward Green or JM Weston.

3> Nashville - don't remember the name, but there was a very good place upstairs on the main drag near Vandy - had a great selection of pre-owned stuff and very friendly staff, but it's been like 6 years since I've been there. I know - this is less than unhelpful.

2...they have a myriad of different lasts...if stitch's fat foot can wear em comfortably...anyone can. ;)

3...i think i know the place youre speaking of...and for some reason i cant remember that guys name...great shop too. its right on 21st ave/hillsboro rd.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Care to let me in on these sources?  Also King Jewelers in where my fiancee's sister when to get a Submariner for her husband.

As to the Panerai comments, I have not seen them in person but love the style of some of them.  When I look at their prices they are generally $10K+

a sub from kings?? either they just started selling them, or maybe it was a special order...when i was there, they said they had no plans of becoming a rolex AD. theres a few places...Barrys Pawn in the ghetto is actually a great place....and honestly at times has the best rolex selection. The guy chicago ron mentioned has decent prices as well, but i cant for the life of me remember his name. Theres also a place next to Corner Music on granny white that stocks a dozen of them. I THINK its called gossage jewelers. I may be wrong though. But these are all used....I personally have no problem buying used...i prefer to buy used over new.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Frilly, when a dealer sees you coming, he should have you carried down the street on a platinum litter by Tahitian virgins in bikinis, scattering rose petals and saffron in your path and singing "here comes funky Jesus".

Or at least offer you coffee. For the last six months you've been like a watch dealer's benevolent fund.

Thanks for the vicarious joy! Heck, I'd offer you coffee myself, just for that. Now show us some more of that PP action, would you?

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ mimo, I am happy to oblige. Here is my new "two-tone perpetual calendar dual time split seconds chronograph!" That's right, boys and girls. I've got timepieces from Patek that allows for split seconds chronograph functionality - the ability to time two events simultaneously. No, it's not the 5004 or the 5204. I cannot afford either of those pieces. So, instead, I present my innovative split seconds chronograph - dual face watch, yellow gold and platinum, both with silver dials. For the first event I click the top pusher on the platinum, and for the second event I click the top pusher on the yellow gold. Voila! In fact, this "split seconds chronograph" of mine not only allows me to time two events at the same time... it's also a "perpetual calendar dual time" complication, which allows me to track the time/day/date/moonphase for TWO PLACES IN THE WORLD at the same time! How 'bout that! Not even the 5004 or the 5204 can do that! Heh heh.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
^^ i hate you for making me look at those pics. so. *******. nice. GAHHH.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
double post again. :fu:

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also DerekS,  I am in Nashville as well.  Any specific stores you recommend?  I live in Green Hills so King Jewelers is right there for Rolex but anywhere else?  I have only lived here a year.

Also what are G&Gs...I feel like I should know this but don't :(

no ****?? VERY cool! always nice to meet a neighbor. King Jewlers is a great AD, but they dont carry Rolex. To my knowledge, theres only 1 AD for rolex in the middle TN area and thats Bell Jewelers in Murfreesboro. A few years ago, all the rolex ADs were dropped by rolex here in nashville.

**G&Gs are Gaziano & Girling shoes. highly recommended if youre a shoe guy.

Never realized there were so many Tennesseans on this thread. I used to live in Memphis, and was in Nashville for a little while. I was just in Nashvegas the other weekend, actually.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But there are icky stories of dealers who just stopped responding to emails, didn't take me seriously, didn't treat me well - I didn't need capuccino served up to me every time I visited, I just needed 5 to 10 minutes of their time when I visited.  That's not so much, is it?  One guy stopped responding to my emails when I was looking for a 3940J because I asked about trade-in options.  Strange.  

Idiots. That's all I can say about them.

I apparently happen to be blessed with "young" looks. My personal theory is that my (copious) facial fat stretches out all the wrinkles, but anyway the end result is that I still look 5-10 years younger than I actually am to some people. This blessing however, turns into a curse whenever I want to buy a watch, for predictably sad reasons.

Though we've been at it for years in terms of having passion for watches, it really seems like it's taken off as a whole in the last decade, now capturing the public attention and spotlight (as it should!). I have no experience from overseas, but I wonder how different it is in Asia and Europe. For example I'm frequently told by AD's that discounts in the more affluent areas of Asia are non existent, and there's so much money and desire to own precious time pieces, the whole customer service dynamic is different from here in the U.S., where brick and mortar stores may really need to please every customer they can..?

I can comment on Asia, and to a lesser extent, Europe. Experiences were with AD/boutiques in Sweden, Germany, Vienna, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, and Hong Kong.

All of the following strictly IMO:

My experiences in (northern/western) Europe were nearly uniformly good. The sales staff certainly knew their watches. Inside out. Reference numbers, no problem. Movement numbers, no problem. Polite. Service is efficient, but low key and never OTT. Maybe there is a cultural reticence that I suspect Americans/Asians may misinterpret as aloofness? Low key and reserved sort of sums it up for me. I have nothing really bad to say about them.

Asia (specifically SE Asia) on the other hand is a really mixed bag. Full disclosure: I grew up in a mixed East/West cultural milieu, so I'd be interested to hear what others think of my opinions.

Compared to what I characterise very broadly as "western culture", the the dominant culture in asia (which is to say usually really east asian culture):

1. more materialistic,
2. less spontaneous,
3. and more hierarchical.

#1 manifests itself as complacence on the part of the AD/boutiques as their customer flow is essentially guaranteed. Conspicuous consumption is the norm. Locals earning the equivalent of US$1,000/mo will scrimp and save to buy a Rolex/IWC or a LV bag, then take the crowded public transport to work, and return home to shoebox apartments or government housing. I don't know what proportions of cab drivers or entry level office workers wear Rolexes/IWCs or sport LV bags in the US, but it's almost certainly less than the proportion here.

And because demand is high, pricing follows. A lack of discounts and a MSRP higher than Europe sometimes results.

#2 & #3 work out to impact CS in several ways IMO.

You have frontline floor staff who are paid peanuts (due to their low societal rank) selling $$$ things which they may never be able to understand the wider context of. The whole concept of a culture of luxury is lost on them because it is so far removed from their daily existence. How the hell is the guy who lives in a city of 10 million with open sewers, terrible air pollution, and children begging in the streets going to explain to me (and not appear ironic) Le Sentier's environmental consciousness, or understand that maybe I do expect an extra $400 strap gratis with my $200,000 watch?

Frontline staff also cannot take the initiative and make a decision on behalf of the brand - NO way are Asian floor staff going to break out the champagne spontaneously if you're not buying something big first. All decisions must go stepwise through the hierarchy - floor staff must check with the the floor "manager", who in turn is cautious because he is accountable to some other guy. It kills spontaneity, and I suspect this happened in that HKG AL&S example I mentioned earlier. It's certainly happened to me - I had the floor guy in a boutique check something with his manager, who then checked it again with someone else higher up. All I asked for was a bigger discount if I purchased 2 watches at a time.

Some salespeople, particularly ones representing the "better" brands let it all go to their head and become disdainful of potential customers - especially ones who are younger (or look younger), or who do not openly display their wealth. The Richard Mille experience in Singapore was hilarious/awful for that reason. It works both ways - serious customers are sometimes openly dismissive/rude to sales staff, who they consider beneath them. I know this probably happens in the US as well, but I can't help but suspect it's more magnified here - I've seen some really really truly terrible behaviour from some customers that would never be tolerated in Australia occur in asia.

As finally as medtech_expat once mentioned and I can confirm, there are some asians who take pride in paying MSRP to impress upon others their superior position in the hierarchy, which is when price elasticity goes out the window.

Stitch and i were talking about this watch yesterday...cant believe i forgot to suggest that. The ingy is an awesome watch. Rugged as hell too. I love the bracelet, but it also looks awesome on a strap..IIRC they did an AMG version on a black kevlar strap that was really sporty looking. Not something i typically like at all but it really looked nice on that.

I think I was openly contemptuous of this watch in the past, and I'll freely admit that I was wrong - it's a great looking watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads