• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote for a ‘Swiss army’ / kitchen sink watch.

Chronometer
Divers bezel
GMT function with GMT numbers discretely on the rehaut
Date but only at 3 or 6 o clock not squeezed in at 4-5
Crown guards
200m WR

But it will be amusing to see SF try to reach a consensus on this!

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as the caseback has an engraving of Mr. Moo's shorts pic.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
It's a fashion watch that appeals to a lot of young guys. They certainly look much better than anything else in the price range.

Personally I love MVMT because the company has brilliant founders and an amazing CMO. They are doing things like layering TV ads with digital to drive CPM way down, etc... Got to meet the CMO @ IAB a bit ago...

I wouldn't ever buy one but I certainly am signed up to digest all their marketing material.

Are you crazy? You like a watch that retails for far higher because it can appeal to young impressionable kids. God i never thought i would dislike someone this much over the internet.

They are honestly horrible quality watches that retails crazy high purely because of marketing, and again you like that. no words.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you crazy? You like a watch that retails for far higher because it can appeal to young impressionable kids. God i never thought i would dislike someone this much over the internet.

They are honestly horrible quality watches that retails crazy high purely because of marketing, and again you like that. no words.

I'm a digital marketer turned private equity entrepreneur, so yes, I can appreciate really well done marketing. They aren't lying or being deceptive to the best of my knowledge. Hilarious that people like you drink the kool-aid with higher end brands though. Look @ avg inflation adjusted pricing for many "high end" watches from the 1970s until now and you'll see what the marketing premium looks like. Obviously I drink to the kool-aid too but at least I'm not in denial. :)

By the way - you may have won the award for most room temp IQ I've encountered on the internet in a while, well done!

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Woah, woah... He said that he admired the company, as a business.

It's like hating someone because they admire the Ikea business model. It's a bit of an overreaction, to understate things. He is talking about a company that sells inexpensive fashion items. It's not as though MVMT is deliberately pushing Oxy or something. Geez.

He also said that he liked the look of the watches more than anything in that price range - which is basically, taking away the novelty watches like G-shocks and swatches, basically Timex, Skagen, Fossil, and other brands with what one must admit are seriously not great in house design.

I don't like them, personally, and I prefer that old school, streetwear style, but I can see that they have an easy appeal for a very casual customer.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
I like this diver a lot (and I liked the Yue Fei a lot as well). Is the bezel steel or ceramic? What is the water resistance?

My major concern with independents/microbrands is aftermarket service. I have a microbrand watch that has been at the spa for over three months to fix a non-working chronograph hour counter, while the Swatch Group routinely takes eight weeks or less to service a watch. From your website, it sounds like you have a system in place for service. Can any skilled watch repairman service this movement, or do you recommend a factory service?

Apologies for my late reply Ambulance Chaser, I had a very busy last week launching my new brand and handling the surge in client and media interest. Thank you for your kind words regarding my Monarque and Yue Fei. The bezel is sapphire and water resistance is 200m. I wanted a sapphire crystal back to show that wonderful Vaucher movement off.

Let aftermarket service with my brands be the least of your concerns. We have cultivated a wide network of high-level workshops on every continent that is able to service this Vaucher movement, with target turnaround time of 2-4 weeks (which is five to ten times faster than the mainstream brands). I would recommend only using a watchmaker in my network to service a high-end movement like the Vaucher, but the Soprod is simpler and can be serviced by many workshops. All our servicing is done at cost, and the cost is very reasonable.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
I assume not a single one of your customers will actually dive using this watch, but it still seems odd to have a diver that has no numerical markings on the dial and, especially, the timing bezel.

What made you assume that? I have many clients that dive regularly with my divers, and they love the practicality of the design. I never design a watch to have a merely cosmetic function, and personally test my watches beyond their stated endurance. I even swim regularly with my dress watches to see how far they can be pushed, and none of them have ever failed. There are vintage divers actually issued to military personnel with a similar lack of numerical markings. It is nonetheless quite easy to tell the time.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
^ +1 dopey

I thought "It's a... dive watch...?", my inner monologue adopting a rising inflection, like Ron Burgundy confronted with an unexpected question mark on his autocue.

I like many aspects of it but I think the diver-but-not aesthetics would bother me.

The hands seem a bit fussy for a dive watch. But it isn't a dive watch. Or is it?

See what I mean?

It is a dive watch and is fully designed to be worn as one. I would not say the hands are fussy. They are unique and evidence a level of thought and care that went into the design. For instance, look at the length, proportion and resulting legibility of each of the three hands. If you want blocky hands and a purely utilitarian watch, there are more suitable offerings on the market.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
But on the bezel they do,which I think is what @dopey wss referring to.

For me, the lack of minute increments on the bezel stood out as a more glaring omission, if this is intended to be a dive watch.

Benjamin, does the bezel rotate?

Yes sir, it definitely rotates.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
I have to admit I find these quite beautiful. Especially the blue star field.

Well thank you sir. That is the one with the aventurine dial.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
My two most lasting reactions from clicking this link are that 1) Ben Chee has a great head of hair, and 2) Ben Chee should not wear turtlenecks...

1) my photographer does wonders

2) what would you suggest? :)

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Great idea but the stainless versions were over $7k. I’ll admit it’s at the far edge of what I’m willing to spend on a watch.

We won't be doing the forum watch with my flagship brand BCHH. In any case, we'll let members decide on the movement, specs and therefore price point of the forum watch.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
The BCHH branding reminds me of MVMT ?‍♂️

Couldn't imagine a brand further removed. :D

Curious why it reminded you of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads