• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
comic sans in the new ss calatrava :lol:

B3B807EF-0049-4013-BF0E-17E9A831FC68.jpeg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the new Octo Finissimo chronograph from Bvlgari and was pleasantly surprised when it was announced yesterday. Even more so, since I was strongly considering the basic version as my next watch.

I tried them on in different metals at Harrod's last month and was smitten:

View attachment 1147420

Does anyone have one to share first-hand experience?
Amazingly this very thread did start with, or have early on, a discussion of its predecessor - so you may be interested in the first 10-20 pages IIRC.

I personally disliked the design initially then tried to think about how I'd improve it then realised that it was already at a local optimum. Very different from Piaget, certainly, but not in a bad way. Grows on you after a while. Your photo showcases the different metals well, better than the ad copy.

dan'l

Reaction score
Amazingly this very thread did start with, or have early on, a discussion of its predecessor - so you may be interested in the first 10-20 pages IIRC.

I personally disliked the design initially then tried to think about how I'd improve it then realised that it was already at a local optimum. Very different from Piaget, certainly, but not in a bad way. Grows on you after a while. Your photo showcases the different metals well, better than the ad copy.

Wow, I am impressed by your encyclopedic knowledge! I’ve been following this thread since v1.0 and recall many of the discussion, but not the exchanges between Mimo and Dino on the Octo.

The watch was nicer in the metal than in pics. The pic above is a bit dark and taken without natural light, but you can still see the differences in the metals.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the new Octo Finissimo chronograph from Bvlgari and was pleasantly surprised when it was announced yesterday. Even more so, since I was strongly considering the basic version as my next watch.

I tried them on in different metals at Harrod's last month and was smitten:

View attachment 1147420

Does anyone have one to share first-hand experience?

I have the titanium. I love the watch. It keeps excellent time. Pictures don't do justice to the finish. In sunlight it has a liquid-like appearance. And the hands look like chrome at times even though they are black. You can also get it on the grey market for a great price. I think it doesn't wear too big since the lug-to-lug measurement isn't much more than case itself.

The new chrono is awesome, but the small hash marks between the hour markers take away from the elegance of the design for me a little. Also the bigger size. And I wish the had kept the same style of small second hand that the auto has instead of the more basic small hands on the chrono. I think Chopard does this on its chronos.

I am excited to see the ceramic version of the auto.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
comic sans in the new ss calatrava :lol:

View attachment 1147522
Ha, that’s astounding. While it’s nice that they seem to be going for the hand-lettered style that gave so much beauty and charm to their vintage watches, they’ve unfortunately forgotten that those gorgeous earlier dials had skilled hand-lettering.

Whichever cartoony computer-based font they’ve chosen instead is a very poor imitation. Still beats Arial, though. :p

And just like the regulator that Non Serviam posted, the generic lame-o look of the date wheel is a complete mismatch.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really nice. but that watch winder sticking out pisses me off every time. it's the single most annoying thing about most watches. that thing poking your hand all the time.right where that vein is. it would be so much cleaner if it recessed in.

If it's a sticking point, you can always try offset crowns (like on seiko divers) and left sided crowns (like on a sinn ezm3 or left handed watches). Fwiw, I really like that feature in general cuz I think it looks cool.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
If it's a sticking point, you can always try offset crowns (like on seiko divers) and left sided crowns (like on a sinn ezm3 or left handed watches). Fwiw, I really like that feature in general cuz I think it looks cool.

yeah, that is the sticking point i was drunkenly trying to explain. thank you. :cheers:
because when you are walking and stuff, you get in your car, and because the watch has slid down your wrist, when you go to grab the wheel, it pokes your hand. i hate it. and yes, you are right.

This is my favorite Watch. that i would like to have Seiko restore, and put a Horween band on.
goldseiko2.jpg

note the positions of the buttons and winder. it is so comfortable to wear. and handsome too.

my remark about Casio being ahead of the others, is that on most of their watches take this into consideration. and i expect more pricey watches to do so too. but they don't. - fail.

Last edited:

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fullsizeoutput_d913.jpeg
Here is the watch that put a stop to my obsession for watches ...

View attachment 1147328

Only those who know, know what it is. And I am yet to meet one in person lol.

Now I watch Basel every year but nothing much tops what’s on the wrist already.

That's a stunning watch I have it's sibling.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That's stunning. GS with minimal, or at least less, text.... and no date blemish. Just all that clean, perfect workmanship to admire.

What is the reference for the steel one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads