• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other approach is to paint the hands on the mechanism and have the whole mechanism rotate inside the case, but that 1. has been done (UN's The Freak) and 2. is a totally different design.
The "Magick" models use a 2 layer mechanism, right, though essentially, for those, the hands are simply disks? No, this would need to be more inventive. You would not be able to simply make the crystal even thinner and then say, have 2 layers, wafering a liquid layer in between - you have to do something more innovative than that.

I thought about painting the hands on the crystal and then having it move. Would that be something innovative, or just a variation on theme?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The "Magick" models use a 2 layer mechanism, right, though essentially, for those, the hands are simply disks? No, this would need to be more inventive. You would not be able to simply make the crystal even thinner and then say, have 2 layers, wafering a liquid layer in between - you have to do something more innovative than that.

I thought about painting the hands on the crystal and then having it move. Would that be something innovative, or just a variation on theme?
Right; the mystery models just use discs instead of hands so no savings in thickness. What we are trying to do is a riff on what Piaget did. they use the caseback as part of the movement. We want to use the crystal as part of the dial. So whatever you do, the crystal has to be strong enough to work as a crystal and still have some ability to rotate. So having the whole crystal rotate doesn't work because the rotating part would be exposed and caught on your shirt, etc. And you can't just have an extra layer because that would be too thick. So you need a protective crystal that is rigid and fixed on the outside but can move on the inside and is as thin as regular, minimal crystal. So I cote on inventing one with a liquid core.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may be the only thing you've ever said that I agree with. I have a timewalker GMT that I got very inexpensively in 2010, and I honestly really really love it. The new heritage pieces are amazing. They're not everyone's cup of tea, but I like em
Trying to sell a Timewalker GMT. Black with blue hints. Anyone looking in PM if interested! Nice watch in barely worn condition just never sees the light of day.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how to get the time pinion to the center, but I think that is not the hard part. The hard part is adding hand that are above the movement (so they extend over the whole face) without adding an extra layer of thickness. So the route is to embed them in the crystal somehow in a way that the outside surface of the crystal doesn't move, but an interior layer or underside does, without compromising strength. I have no idea how to do that, but that is what I would try working on.

Why use hands at all? Just have 2 concentric discs with a pip painted on. The inner disc denotes hours and the outer disc denotes minutes. I would insert an hour track in between the discs and an hours track on the perimeter for reference. Not as easy to read as hands, but you get the full benefit of the diameter of the watch.

And if you like Cartier, you can have the minute track printed in the wrong place to confuse people.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why use hands at all? Just have 2 concentric discs with a pip painted on. The inner disc denotes hours and the outer disc denotes minutes. I would insert an hour track in between the discs and an hours track on the perimeter for reference. Not as easy to read as hands, but you get the full benefit of the diameter of the watch.

And if you like Cartier, you can have the minute track printed in the wrong place to confuse people.
Because discs take as much height as hands. Right now the dial is offset and sunk so the hands are not above the dial. To move them to the center and have them cover the whole dial would add thickness without some way of using the crystal or some other idea.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10atm, quartz, Hirsch rubber... Finally got a dedicated sportwatch that has a unique case shape as well.

img_1550201178038.jpg

img_1550201423761.jpg

DMcG

Reaction score
@DMcG Really like that Jaeger. If you had too purchase one today, would you have went this one or with a Polaris instead? Just curious.

Thanks. I still prefer the Deep Sea. I’m generally not a big fan of Tachymeters like the Polaris Chrono has. I also prefer the hands on mine. I do like the blue dials and display backs on the various Polaris models. And I’m using the rubber strap from a Polaris. I wasn’t that impressed with the strap mine came with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads