• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your Maserati example is perfect actually. In an office of Porsche 911s (the car equivalent of the sub), to me a Maserati isn't sufficiently "different" (aesthetically) in that everybody also knows that brand and it is available everywhere. In fact it is very common in Singapore as it is the cheapest "premium" sports car factoring in tax etc. (and the reputation for issues is also there), and you see a lot in other megacities like London for presumably the same reason.

My point is that if one wants to be different, there are many more options than a Maserati: you could go your way with a perfectly restored Dino, although the time and expense probably disqualify it for non fanatics; you could get a Morgan or a Wiesmann, rare cars which are relatively reliable (Morgan uses BMW engines) and completely insane conceptually (guaranteed that a number of car guys just winced - but I vaguely remember that the President of the Paris automobile club is a Morgan fellow); you could try one of the budget McLarens for not much more. These are "different" and in my mind at least hold their own to a 911 (I am assuming said car buyer has a safe boring choice for the snowstorm days). But you later explained why UN: your friend wanted a brand that was well known amongst the general public (I guess McLaren counts). And in a way that is what I was referring to with "airport brands" - if I can find it in airport duty free all around the world it is not "different" to me (and Seiko is now in that bag since you can now get a lot of formerly JDM watches in large airports).

Incidentally the Rolex selection at major airports is still (IMHO) relatively limited; e.g. aforementioned SIN has a smaller selection of olive dial watches than the Sentosa location which sits under a couple 5* hotels on a man made island half an hour from the centre of town. I was surprised to find Stowa distributed in various malls, as there was a time when the brand was rare and needed to be ordered on the internet.

Thank you, I understand your point better. I think differences in geography and time, would change a bit of your analysis or suggestions regarding cars being different. At the time my friend already had in his garage- 2 Porsches, an Audi and a Ferrari F430. Back in 2008, Maserati dealers were fairly rare in the US, as they had left the US market for 10+ years from around 1990 into the early 2000s). So they were far less common back then than they are today. In addition, McLaren was not selling its own cars here back then, unless one counts that joint venture with Mercedes, the Mercedes McLaren SLR. Morgan AFAIK, has one dealer in the US, and they are in California, so again not really a daily driver here in the North East US. Sure one could have purchased a Dino 246 but that car was more than twice the price of a Maserati QP GTS. It also isn't really the kind of car one could use as a daily driver to work, in terms of comfort, or practicality. In addition, most people with vintage exotics don't drive them during the winter as the salt thrown down on our roads are terrible for them (especially if it is an unrestored Dino, which has no rustproofing). Vintage cars are probably among the most interesting and different in our region, but because of our harsh winters people tend only to use them from Spring through the Fall and again not as a daily driver. My friend's Maserati is a daily driver, but he needs (and owns other cars) for when the Quattroporte has issues arise.

ErikW

Reaction score
il_fullxfull.1445031835_av79.jpg

I realize this isn't quite the same caliber as most watches posted in this forum, but I was curious what folks thought about the GP Traveller II? On the pre-owned market, they look relatively affordable. I really like the size (38mm) and complications (GMT + alarm). Anyone have any experience with them?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's fair.

Incidentally, one of the new but older guys at our gym drives a 911, (along with the usual young guns and old hands we have a number of older hobbyists who have always dreamed of training, but never had the chance until usually a midlife crisis hits) which is probably one of the more improbably and impractical vehicles on the backroads of Idaho. There are a few inches of snow right now, and I imagine that a big bump would take the transmission straight off. But the thing seems to make himself happy. We all have mile markers in our lives, and I guess that his was making enough money to have a 911, something that feels alien to me, but is obvious very special to him.

These Leh Keen Safari type builds seem to be more and more popular in the last couple of years. Would serve the back roads of Idaho well I'd guess.

keen-project-porsche-911-safari-4.jpg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realize this isn't quite the same caliber as most watches posted in this forum, but I was curious what folks thought about the GP Traveller II? On the pre-owned market, they look relatively affordable. I really like the size (38mm) and complications (GMT + alarm). Anyone have any experience with them?

It'a awesome. I'd wear it as this one is relatively small as well. Better than GP's newer giant offerings.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could never understand the aesthetics of the Parmigiani which many of my colleagues wore back in Switzerland. I think it's a combination of the large size, and hands that more properly belong to a lower end sports watch. If there are Parmigiani fans here (Riva, are you one?) I would love to hear more about why you like it, as it is the kind of house I want to learn to appreciate at least.

Parmigiani's styling isn't for everyone. They're a bit too loud to be classical yet too restrained to be icons. Their marketing is also abysmal so nobody knows what their positioning is in the market. But the quality and technical aspects are undeniable. That particular piece I wanted simply due to the blue meteor dial which is rare if not the only one ever made by any manufacturer. Lundi Bleus may be able to make one for me but I want a rose gold case for it.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They put me in mind of Moser -- quality, quirky, dials often the main attraction. Nothing wrong with that if there's a big enough niche for it, and there seems to be.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That 911 Safari is an abomination :D

It reminds me of the old Paris-Dakar cars, particularly from Renault:
upload_2018-12-28_16-19-14.png
upload_2018-12-28_16-19-59.png
Although let's not forget the 953 from the same:

upload_2018-12-28_16-21-36.png

...which won.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

I had this watch a number of years ago, in rose gold. It was chunky, but pretty cool. Mine had a weird alarm issue (uh, it didn’t work), so I only had it for a short time. Go for it if you like it. GPs on the secondary market are a good buy if you aren’t to be flipping it any time soon.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would guess that 99% of non-Malays would equate a keris/kris with the sword they get in Runequest.

What I'm gonna say requires a bit of an open mind but it's easy to comprehend when you're living in a place where you see inexplicable things yourself and stuff people only see in movies. A rune dagger is actually correct in the truest words. A real kris is literally a dagger possessed by a djinn or demon done through a ritual that's capable of supernatural feats. The real ones are also made by shaping the soft hot metal directly using bare hands. It's used like a wand instead of the poisoned fighting daggers. Here is the final surviving relic from my great grandfather. He has gotten rid of the more beautiful intricately decorated ones but this was kept until his death simply of the reason that this has the most powerful being in it. Not sure if it's still inside as the feeding ritual hasn't been performed for half a century but this was used to extinguish a burning house once.

img_1545983519991.jpg
img_1545983351731.jpg

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My djin lives inside the empty Stoli bottle.:alien:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads