• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The random serial number is exactly what is sounds like, random. My GMT BLNR (Batman) has a completely random serial number with only 3 numerals before the letters start then more numbers. It has nothing to do with the model number, and mine was purchased brand new at an AD. If you have any doubts ...then maybe it isn't the right piece. A good deal isn't much of a deal if you don't have peace of mind about what you are buying. The old saying is always buy the seller. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Was it not a conversation between you and I where I learned that one of the possible reasons Rolex randomized these numbers was to "equalize value" across production years or batches, and prevent collectors from placing undue value on, say, watches produced in (insert year or batch here) because (insert reason for why other serial numbers are valued over others)?

And how could you have only 4,000+ posts here? For sure I would've thought you'd be in the 20,000 range?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was it not a conversation between you and I where I learned that one of the possible reasons Rolex randomized these numbers was to "equalize value" across production years or batches, and prevent collectors from placing undue value on, say, watches produced in (insert year or batch here) because (insert reason for why other serial numbers are valued over others)?

And how could you have only 4,000+ posts here? For sure I would've thought you'd be in the 20,000 range?

Hey, good to see you here pal. Yes, I recall you and I having a conversation about that some time ago. It certainly a very plausible explanation, as I can recall people insisting on certain serial number pre-fix letters even if there was no difference between some watches with serial numbers starting letter "X" and the previous one...making it sort of a pain for dealers to deal with people who follow the serial number sequence.

As for my number of posts, well, I only have so much time and insanity to devote to watches :tongue:. I have other hobbies where I am equally crazy and expending similar amounts of time (and sometimes money) ...oh not to mention, Mrs. Dino (who is a pretty good enabler) often wants to do things besides look at and talk watches ...so I lose some time in jewelry stores, clothing stores, hand bag stores etc., but you know what that's like. :cheers:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have other hobbies where I am equally crazy and expending similar amounts of time (and sometimes money) ...oh not to mention, Mrs. Dino (who is a pretty good enabler) often wants to do things besides look at and talk watches ... so, I lose some time in jewelry stores, clothing stores, hand bag stores etc., but you know what that's like. :cheers:

must be an awful life. glad you enjoyed salzburg and austria last time. cheers

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
must be an awful life. glad you enjoyed salzburg and austria last time. cheers

:rotflmao:

Hi Fritzl,

Yes, I know...definitely first world problems :) Thanks, yes Salzburg, Austria and Germany were a great trip. We actually had brunch today with friends who traveled there with us and we were all chatting about what a great trip it was. Hope you are doing well my friend!

Best regards,
Dino

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5075514F-2634-41C6-A668-98DF6D1DE94F.jpeg

Normally don’t wear a NATO with a long sleeve dress shirt since my shirts are all bespoke with tight cuffs or French cuffs but this is one of my first barrel shirts I had made before I shrunk my cuffs. Because of that I could actually fit the NATO under my sleeve.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:rotflmao:

Hi Fritzl,

Yes, I know...definitely first world problems :) Thanks, yes Salzburg, Austria and Germany were a great trip. We actually had brunch today with friends who traveled there with us and we were all chatting about what a great trip it was. Hope you are doing well my friend!

Best regards,
Dino

yes, I do. just had the opening of an exhibiton in our town hall. shoe photography. will send you a link to the online catalogue, as soon as it is launched.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice combo, Texasmade. You rarely see that watch on anything other than the bracelet.

And I’m glad to say that around my house, the watches are only his...and his lol. Thank goodness my wife has “other” interests! But that’s a great pair for sure.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great piece! Girard Perregaux is one of those brands that's terrific but has zero brand recognition outside of a very, very select group.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads