• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Awesome!

It's great to see Jaeger getting some love.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO all German watches have the same “cold” and “surgical” look. That’s what I feel at least. It’s like a nice Audi.

I do like ALS though, GO is good in some model, but in almost all cases I prefer ALS over GO

wristandfeet

Reaction score
My favorites: ALS Saxonia and EG Dover

336200BD-21C3-4DDF-9E07-DE3828B73980.jpeg

papa kot

Reaction score
IMO all German watches have the same “cold” and “surgical” look. That’s what I feel at least. It’s like a nice Audi.

You can cure that perspective by starting with a visit to a Lange botique or a Glashutte Original boutique. Moritz Grossmann, Dornbluth and Sohn, and numerous other micro brands will sure change your opinion too.

In all seriousness, many luxury watches look too sterile compared to what comes out of Glashutte and Dresden area.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
guess that explains...

Hehe, i know that the part you quoted may sound obvious, but it is especially true then it comes to Nomos from my experience at watchuseek.

Most can agree that it is impressive to see in-house movements at this pricepoint (and especially back in the days then their prices was more reasonable). But their look - the unique Nomos look - thin bezel, long lugs, cold aligned design, not strongly connected to popular movies or actors and not heavily markedet either seals the deal instantly or not.

I am in the latter category; i do not think that i will ever own a Nomos, but i still glance at their Orion and the Weltzeit from time to time.

Article 26

Reaction score
Can’t say i’m a tremendous fan of the German houses. Had WoS bring in a 1815 toubillion to over look, will be putting those funds towards a patek 5078.

As to why I don’t gel with the Germanic aesthetic; perhaps the precise constraint they exercise interferes too much with organic design. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never understood the appeal of Nomos, looks very "mechanical" for lack of better word...

No watch can be everything to everyone. Watches are a very personal choice. Even among brands I favor there are always pieces I don't wish to own.

I agree with MrUnderwood, that the appeal of Nomos is largely a very nice inhouse movement, they are within a reasonable price range, and they have a unique look (thin bezel, thin long lugs and their own aesthetic for dials).

As with most watches, you really should see some Nomos pieces in person before deciding if they do or don't work for you (unless of course you absolutely hate the design). I could appreciate some of the dials and of course the movements that are in Nomos pieces, but I was never really sure about the case and the lugs and how it all comes together until I saw them in person. I went to an AD and tried on several , and the case and lugs just don't appeal to me. Still, I'm glad I got to see some in person and decide if it is something I'd want to own.

As for Lange and other German watches, within the Lange range, I really only love the Lange 1s and the Zeitwerk, and within the GO range, some of the Senators appeal to me. Then again, even with most Swiss brands there are only a few current pieces that I'd want to own, and there are even some very respected Swiss brands I used to like that no longer make anything that I'd purchase.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and Andy's wife had the same anniversary idea—JLC. Have had the geographic at the top of my list for a while now, and it now takes on an even more special significance. I've owned a few GMT and/or dual time zones, and this one blows them all away.

View attachment 877321

Very nice anniversary!!! A watch is always a great way to commemorate a special occasion. Happy anniversary to you and your wife, and wishing you many years of enjoyment with your JLC! :cheers:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Maximus Mark very nice Datograph! Without a doub one of the best chronograph today, as said above! ALS movements are definitively pleasing to look at!

My only nitpick is the empty left date window between the first and 9th of the month (the absence of 0 on the left of the day). I don’t know the aesthetic reasoning behind this decision but it always felt a bit unfinished, IMHO. Still, a magnificient timepice nonetheless!

pmeis

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of Nomos, I did partially scheduled my vacation around a tour last April, but they’re not for everybody which is completely fine (I don’t care of The majority of Speedmasters myself).

I’ve kind of grown out of the Tangente and Orion though. I think it’s a matter of all the Daniel Wellington and Kickstarter brands out there monekeying with the minimalist aesthetic. Of course those are grosssly inferior things, but it’s stolen the luster a bit for me.

Part of the “hype” I think originates as almost a backlash to the height of the oversized bullshit piece era of the recent past. Nomos started coming into its own at the height of that as a company making restrained and coherent designs. I think this really help their profile.

This is my favorite watch though, I have more complicated/expensive, but I think 38mm is just about the perfect size and the thickness at just under 9mm is makes for a versatile wear.
Jx9fn1S.jpg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_7965.JPG

What's Eden Hazard wearing here? Rüdiger has gone for the ever-reliable Rolex and there are a couple of Pannys in the other squad pictures. (I'm not alone in always clocking the wrists first, am I?) After some noodling -- think it's a RM 016, which is actually one of their least-offensive pieces. Chelsea are, sadly, official partners with Hublot, of which there were none in evidence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics