• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a friend who said black dials can only be worn with blue or grey. I countered with much more. Wasn't sure if I was projecting my own minority opinion or if I was in the majority. Quite clear that my buddy is the minority. Thanks, gents.

Not to mention when one considers the number of iconic watches that have been around for decades, which many people use as daily wearers, and which have available with black dials, be it Tudor Subs, Rolex Subs, Sea-Dwellers, Explorers, Daytonas, Omega Speedmasters, Heuer Autavias, IWC pilot watches, Breguet Type XXs, etc...your friend seems a bit narrow minded. Cheers!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a very conservative, perhaps a little British, thing. I dislike black dials if the watch is not sporty (and therefore, worn casually), but my personal style is exceedingly boring (I also think Americans are much happier wearing sporty watches with a suit). All the watches mentioned are sporty. I almost prefer a dark dial on a sporty watch if its design is clearly about legibility, as is the case with divers, pilots and so on. Another way to put it: you don't really see Cartiers with a black dial, they are not quite as striking.

That being said, both the navy and gold linen dials above look fantastic, even though the DJ is dressier. They remind me of some of the 1960s Japanese dress watches entered in competitions.

Article 26

Reaction score
F574B2AC-D5EE-4969-A5A6-A4FB11AB74F4.jpeg

My everyday watch. Got tired of white dials along time ago, Black is just right (for me).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great watch, @Article 26! That particular model is a grail of mine. (I also like the one with the integrated bracelet.) It's a Patek that is not as conservative as the usual Patek. Do you know if it's still in current production?

Article 26

Reaction score
Great watch, @Article 26! That particular model is a grail of mine. (I also like the one with the integrated bracelet.) It's a Patek that is not as conservative as the usual Patek. Do you know if it's still in current production?
This was on a bracelet, I just took it off. Looks better on strap. But I fluctuate, a lot.
Ref: 5085 is no longer in production.
I particularly like the dial and mix of functions. Just wasn’t sure about the Nautilus at the time, I like the adaptability and thought the nautilus would be too limiting. However, it’s always on my mind.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice Patek. Sort of Cali dial-ish, with the Arabic numerals on the top half, and... well... none on the bottom!

LOL. It's the kind of thing that would drive some people crazy, but I can dig it (in this case).

That one has a pretty sweet bracelet, but I do like the OP's strap. Plus, microrotor FTW.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Rock it unashamedly!

Are those Alfred Sargeants doing their bit in the background too?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads