• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got into a debate with a friend this week. Black dials on "daily wearer" type pieces: yea or nay?
Yea, verily!

I’m frankly curious as to how someone could even consider it debatable — do tell. I have way more love for the earlier Daytona as a daily wearer after putting in the black dial.
@Belligero That DJ is one of the best variation i have ever seen, it looks amazing. Sell the Daytona on the other hand, one of the most overrated watches ever made :)
Thanks.

The DJ’s nice to have as an alternative, but there’s no way I’d ever keep it over the 16520, which after the black-dial swap has usurped both the plexi GMT and the LV Sub as my favourite watch, period. I’d have no problem keeping the 5-digit Daytona as an only watch, in fact. Others may feel differently. ;)

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
The DJ’s nice to have as an alternative, but there’s no way I’d ever keep it over the 16520, which after the black-dial swap has usurped both the plexi GMT and the LV Sub as my favourite watch, period. I’d have no problem keeping the 5-digit Daytona as an only watch, in fact. Others may feel differently. ;)

Glad you didn't take my Daytona comment to heart; the most important thing about watches is wearing what you like - especially after knowing that some disagree with you're choice.

dan'l

Reaction score
Hey Belli, you wrote that your 16520 came back with the fatter hands. Did you send it off to a Rolex Service Center to have the dial swapped, and they changed the hands at the same time? I am wondering, since I thought that the RSC generally doesn't swap dials.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Nope, not an RSC job. Local dude with a parts hookup. :)

I went with SL for the new dial and handset, and got the tritium ones back in case I want to put it back to its original state. The few dozen molecules of lume on the markers are pretty much useless in the dark, but the fat hands work well enough for me.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on the Omega Speedmaster FOIS bracelet. I went to the OB in the Galleria to order it. I’m getting the racing bracelet 1564/975 end links. Price is $760 plus tax and they’ll let me know when they get it in which will hopefully be next weekend.

On another note, the selection at the OB is really disappointing. For a boutique I’d expect a little more. They had all of the standard watches but when I inquired about the 60 anniversary LE watches, they had know idea when they were getting any or if they were even getting any. They said Speedmasters were already sold out (not surprising) but had know idea when any RM or Seamaster’s were coming in. I also asked about the new 45th anniversary Apollo 17 Speedmaster was coming in. Again they had no idea. For a boutique, it’s really disappointing that they have no idea when any LE pieces were coming in or if they would even get any. I’d love to buy more Omega watches but it’s really frustrating that a boutique can’t get any of the LE watches. They couldn’t even get me my FOIS that’s not a LE watch. I had to buy grey through the rolexforums.com.

At least they have great after purchase service and the people there aren’t as stuck up as the Rolex people are.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ming watches? Not a fan. My buddy Sam Jones gets upset every time he hears the name.

@Belligero That linen dial Datejust looks incredible in that second picture. I've really grown to love and long for a linen dial Rolex. Nearly pulled the trigger on one earlier in the year. Congratulations.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update on the Omega Speedmaster FOIS bracelet. I went to the OB in the Galleria to order it. I’m getting the racing bracelet 1564/975 end links. Price is $760 plus tax and they’ll let me know when they get it in which will hopefully be next weekend.

On another note, the selection at the OB is really disappointing. For a boutique I’d expect a little more. They had all of the standard watches but when I inquired about the 60 anniversary LE watches, they had know idea when they were getting any or if they were even getting any. They said Speedmasters were already sold out (not surprising) but had know idea when any RM or Seamaster’s were coming in. I also asked about the new 45th anniversary Apollo 17 Speedmaster was coming in. Again they had no idea. For a boutique, it’s really disappointing that they have no idea when any LE pieces were coming in or if they would even get any. I’d love to buy more Omega watches but it’s really frustrating that a boutique can’t get any of the LE watches. They couldn’t even get me my FOIS that’s not a LE watch. I had to buy grey through the rolexforums.com.

At least they have great after purchase service and the people there aren’t as stuck up as the Rolex people are.

Which OB is this? Wonder if say NYC boutique would have more selections (or at least know better..)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got into a debate with a friend this week. Black dials on "daily wearer" type pieces: yea or nay?

I definitely agree with Belligero, I'm not even sure how that is a debatable. Of my daily wearers, more than half of them have black dials, 1 has a dark blue dial, and one has a dark gray/charcoal dial. Only 1 has a silver dial. If given a choice of a light dial or a black dial, I almost always prefer the dark dial for a daily wearer.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ming watches? Not a fan. My buddy Sam Jones gets upset every time he hears the name.

@Belligero That linen dial Datejust looks incredible in that second picture. I've really grown to love and long for a linen dial Rolex. Nearly pulled the trigger on one earlier in the year. Congratulations.
Ha, thanks. Check this out — they also made that linen dial finish in blue. It's bloody rare, but at least in photos (haven't seen one in real life yet) it's possibly my favourite dial of all time. This thing would be absolutely sick with denims, chambrays, worsted wools and ...uh.. linens:

d9e02f369544aba38f3d21e9444973dc.jpg

a_Ls_VRya_KAb5_Vtjb4jd4rsd_YW6_VRehh.jpg

PS: I don't know **** about Ming watches, nor do I particularly care about them, but I do like a good story. Do tell. :)

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course yea. Black is more subdued and therefore perfect as daily wear.

Yea, verily!

I’m frankly curious as to how someone could even consider it debatable — do tell. I have way more love for the earlier Daytona as a daily wearer after putting in the black dial.

I definitely agree with Belligero, I'm not even sure how that is a debatable. Of my daily wearers, more than half of them have black dials, 1 has a dark blue dial, and one has a dark gray/charcoal dial. Only 1 has a silver dial. If given a choice of a light dial or a black dial, I almost always prefer the dark dial for a daily wearer.

Have a friend who said black dials can only be worn with blue or grey. I countered with much more. Wasn't sure if I was projecting my own minority opinion or if I was in the majority. Quite clear that my buddy is the minority. Thanks, gents.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Is your friend from the Edwardian Era or something?
dontknow.gif

pmeis

Reaction score
The black dial conversation reminds me of a comment I saw on one of the watch blogs this week. A commenter was incredibly insistent that a blue dialed watch should never be worn with a brown strap, only belonging on a blue strap or a bracelet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads