• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

roomiller

Reaction score
15-year waiting list sounds more like a "Buy a PM perpetual calendar and the waiting list has now shrunk to the time it takes me to walk to the vault and back". Either way, congrats on the awesome purchase.

The Nautilus line is the only modern Patek that I'd be interested in owning, and its a real shame that most dealers seem to require you to piggyback the purchase.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the RO. :nest:
There is only one true RO.
eusa_snooty.gif

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hehe check out the AP club!

Yeah RO is nice but Nautilus feels a bit more unique - I dunno. Also I think the accuracy is better on Nautilus? Can someone confirm the accuracy (in seconds per day) on a RO?

You just bought a Nautilus, so congrats and enjoy it! There is little point in my explaining why I favor the RO (there are tons of my past posts in this thread). My preference was merely my agreement with another poster who has chosen to go with a RO.

My RO 15202 does not have a seconds hand so I can't confirm or deny accuracy, relative to your watch (not that 2 watches are a good sample size). However, today most very good watches are so accurate that it is hardly a sales point with most collectors, any more than whether a Lamborghini or a Ferrari is the better choice because one of them has a higher top speed by 1 mph. However, if accuracy is a big selling point for you, then buy a good quartz watch ...my old Rolex Oysterquartz will be more accurate than your Nautilus or my RO. Cheers!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
15-year waiting list sounds more like a "Buy a PM perpetual calendar and the waiting list has now shrunk to the time it takes me to walk to the vault and back". Either way, congrats on the awesome purchase.

+1

The only Nautilus models I've heard of waiting lists for the time only 5711/A and the 5712/A. I've walked into dealers and seen the other models available. 15 years is just silly hype that I'd guess a dealer made up to make pieces sound insanely exclusive and as though he is doing a buyer a favor if he gets the piece in for the buyer in 2 years or so. Not to mention, I knew a high end watch dealer that used to insist on a deposit of $500-$1,000 on any hard to get watch. He said, the minute you ask for a deposit...the list becomes more manageable. It keeps speculator/flippers from getting on the list as they don't usually want to have funds tied up for a year or so, and it keeps people who are just acting like big shots but no intention of actually buying from getting on the list.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, speaking of the One True RO™, I wanted to set the record straight on something. I mentioned a few years back about the 45000 NOK / 6850 USD repair bill on my friend's 15202, and how this was caused by a lack of lubrication. I discussed it with him later, after he'd sold the watch back to its original owner (the one who'd incurred the bill) and asked if he had any more information on the fault.

The watch had gone dry, all right, but he found out the rather important extra detail that it was because of a failed seal that had let moisture in, not because of any inherent deficiency or delicacy of the movement. In general, the 2121 has a good reputation as being a reliable and well-designed calibre, and although it's nothing you'd want to abuse, you don't exactly need to baby it or get it serviced extra-frequently, either. Probably a good idea to take an amplitude measurement and get the pressure check done regularly, though.
:)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, speaking of the One True RO™, I wanted to set the record straight on something. I mentioned a few years back about the 45000 NOK / 6850 USD repair bill on my friend's 15202, and how this was caused by a lack of lubrication. I discussed it with him later, after he'd sold the watch back to its original owner (the one who'd incurred the bill) and asked if he had any more information on the fault.

The watch had gone dry, all right, but he found out the rather important extra detail that it was because of a failed seal that had let moisture in, not because of any inherent deficiency or delicacy of the movement. In general, the 2121 has a good reputation as being a reliable and well-designed calibre, and although it's nothing you'd want to abuse, you don't exactly need to baby it or get it serviced extra-frequently, either. Probably a good idea to take an amplitude measurement and get the pressure check done regularly, though.
:)

Yes, I do remember that story from a few years back. Thank you for sharing the details. Knowing the (base call 920) 2120 has been around for over 40 years and used by PP, AP, and VC in various forms, your friend's situation seemed well out of the norm, particularly as I had not heard of other service bills like that in the past. I remembered wondering what could have happened to the watch to result in such a large repair bill.

I think the only time I've heard of a more costly repair bill involved a guy who owned a RO Offshore (I don't recall what the case and bezel were made of, but IIRC it was a rather complicated model), and he had brought it to the beach. For some reason he took it off and wrapped it in his beach towel. He had forgotten about it being in the towel and when he shook the towel to get the sand out he was at the edge of the parking lot and the watch went up in the air and came down hard on asphalt. I believe he shattered the crystal, damaged the bezel and part of the case and did some damage to the movement and the repair bill was in excess of $8,000. Anyway, thanks for sharing the details. Cheers!

robw

Reaction score
I don't watch this thread regularly so apologies if it has been mentioned here, but if you are in or can get to NYC, the patek phillipe exhibition is not to be missed. If you are a watch guy and certainly if you like the brand, you want to be there. Besides being able to see pretty much the entire current collection, grand complications included, the historical pieces are just amazing. Graves, packard, caliber 89, and so on. I can't count how many times I found myself muttering "wow" to myself as I wandered around. Even the enamel/art/ladies pieces that don't generally interest me were breathtaking. There are also watchmakers and other artisans there who you can to or have demonstrations. It is almost too much to take in in one visit. I think it runs through the weekend.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Priced in euros so FX rate may be favorable, haven't checked lately so not too sure what it'll be when converted. Also you get a VAT refund and depending on who you use or how the AD in Paris rings it up it'll be anywhere from 14-20%.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads