• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conspicuous consumption is most definitely a theme in all these sorts of forums. But I do think @roomiller has a point @Dino944 .

For the most part I ignore the rest of styleforum. Far too much much group-think object idolatry. But in this thread (and some others, like the shoe care thread) I find a distilled and thoughtful community that generally discusses the objects of desire through a far more contextually-informed and intentional lens.

I think what roo has observed about the rolex forums is something one should expect where larger, less distilled communities are found: a larger number of ego cases. Those who are driven by a drive for ego validation express themselves loudly in a manner that doesn't particularly drive productive discussion (a recent trend in politics too).

This thread has far less of that and those who stick around tend towards the tasteful side. In my opinion anyway.
I'm not saying the showing off and obsession with conspicuous consumption doesn't happen there, just that it happens in lots of places and I don't find it that big of a deal.

I gave up on many of the watch forums a long time ago, particularly Rolex forums, because the topics seemed to repeat themselves. Can I wear a Rolex while reading a book, while eating, while looking out my office window? Will the new model X shown at Basel last week, be the next Daytona (in reference to how are they were to get and them selling for more than MSRP). While single brand forums (for any topic) can have specific information that could be difficult to find elsewhere, perhaps the lack of variety, at least for me, eventually makes them tedious.

Perhaps you are on to something. I think things are a bit different here, and in styleforum's "Cars We Drive" and a few other SF threads, because they tend to have a small group of regular core contributors, who we start to know through regular interactions. Perhaps in these smaller threads the posters transform from keyboard personalities into real people, and sometimes become our friends (I've actually met a few in person). Therefore when people post photos of a new (or new to them) purchase it never seems like showing off, and there is often an outpouring of good will and happiness for the poster. In addition, many of us may have been following their decision making process on this thread (or others), so its interesting to see where the journey takes them.

Who knows, perhaps the converse is that the conspicuous consumer egomaniacs don't like threads such as this one, as they don't get the ego massaging they desire, so if they stop in here, they rarely last long.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The syringe hands and typeface elevate this above the non-US version. Exquisite.
Its a great watch regardless of which version someone has...however I have to admit I favor the sword hands.
shog[1].gif

atia2

Reaction score

Besides this being a thread dedicated to high end watches, your issue with vanity/conspicuous consumption is amusing as this entire forum is the "Styleforum."  What isn't a display of vanity on this forum, we have people with bespoke suits, bespoke shoes, high end cars, watches, boats, etc.

Style and vanity are not the same. Indeed, the most stylish things I see on this forum are the least conspicuous and, often, among the least consuming of resources. Frequently we compliment watches for being understated and "flying under the radar". Similarly frequently we discuss the economics of collecting: where to get a good deal, resale value, and so on.

I visit to admire the craftsmanship, design and history of high-level watchmaking, and the way in which ones choice of watch can be an expression of one's personality and values. We are dealing here with art, are we not?

atia2

Reaction score

Its a great watch regardless of which version someone has...however I have to admit I favor the sword hands.  
shog%5B1%5D.gif

I like the way the syringe hands don't overlap the hour markers. For some reason, which I would struggle to elucidate, I find it clumsy when the sword hands do that. But no doubt they are both beautiful watches. I was very disappointed to miss out on a mint US version in a recent auction.

Winot

Reaction score
I sold a couple of watches to Austin Kaye in London yesterday - the first mechanical watch I bought in 2007 (a Nomos Tetra) and my JLC Reverso UT (freed up to sell by virtue of buying a Duoface).

Picked up this in exchange:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know its not the only thing to love in a watch, but if I'm paying thousands for a timepiece, I think COSC should be table stakes.

On a totally unrelated note: Rolex Forums is the most confounding place I've been on the internet. It houses some of the most knowledgeable watch aficionados out there, able to explain all the nuances and release years of various Rolexes throughout the years, but they happen to set up camp to the internet's largest dick measuring contest outside of bodybuilding.com. Every third picture has a Porsche key on a Goyard wallet, with the Amex intentionally hanging out of it, and then the watch resting across the top. I know that this hobby, and particularly Rolex, will attract that type of crowd to some extent. But to me, the intense obsession with vanity and conspicuous consumption that is pervasive throughout the forum is enough to completely turn me off to the site. It's a shame, because once you sift through that, there is a ton of fantastic knowledge to be had. 

This is something that I'd been thinking about for a while now, but seeing the "Is your vehicle and your Rolex a balance" pushed me over the edge.

edit: and yes I see the irony of posting that from this site, on the 118th page of a thread dedicated to high end watches

Although I happen to post my watches with other things which I just happen to have a passion for I can certainly understand your perspective.

In regards to measuring my anatomy or envisioning myself being a bigger person because of something I have vs someone else these sites actually can be rather humbling at times if that were the reason for me doing so. I've long ago learned that there are numerous others who have or are able to get much more than I do. Frankly I don't find it that odd that those who choose to buy some fairly expensive with regards to watches where they could buy something that is much more accurate for much less would also choose to buy other types of things along these very same lines. Things that would serve the same purpose which could be purchased for much less but they choose items which cost much more for other reasons. I would guess because your here you've made the choice to spend much more than you needed at least when it comes to your watch and I would guess you've at least posted one picture here as well. So I'm just sharing with others the choices I made. The reason I do so is because i like to share with others who have the same passions and the same interests. God knows there's not that many located near me who share in these same passions and even if there were there are many more who share in these same passions on some of these forums. So even if there maybe a bit of showing off I'm doing so with a crowd of others were this isn't that big of a deal. So yes this thread does have a good bit more discussion but it also has pictures or a bit of showing off as well,

I can see where your coming from and it appears that it's not for you but it works for me, All in all I consider the Rolex Forum and Styleforum two of the better internet communities I've come across with regards to how people conduct themselves and the knowledge they have. So no matter why most of these people do it for the most part they treat each other fairly well.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style and vanity are not the same. Indeed, the most stylish things I see on this forum are the least conspicuous and, often, among the least consuming of resources. Frequently we compliment watches for being understated and "flying under the radar". Similarly frequently we discuss the economics of collecting: where to get a good deal, resale value, and so on.

I visit to admire the craftsmanship, design and history of high-level watchmaking, and the way in which ones choice of watch can be an expression of one's personality and values. We are dealing here with art, are we not?
I agree, style and vanity are not the same, yet they are often very closely intertwined, especially on forums dedicated to style. Sure there are levels to conspicuousness ...jewel encrusted watches vs...basic time only pieces in platinum (stealth luxury). However, to truly avoid being thought of as vain or showing off, one probably shouldn't be posting photos of their watches, bespoke suits, or high end shoes. As for this forum having the least conspicuous goods, I'm not sure I agree...and even if some of the good are inconspicuous, it doesn't mean the owners aren't a bit vain. I can't count the number of times on the forum I have seen people hashtag their own photos "Sprezzatura," when one can see the person clearly is trying too hard to be the next Gianna Agnelli. But in the end its harmless.

I really agree with @DDDrees about enjoying sharing my common interests sometimes through photos. In real life if walk into an event and I see someone wearing the same watch, I may have a new buddy by the end of the event.

I also appreciate the craftsmanship, design, and history that go with watches, cars, shoes, etc. In a world with lots of disposable items, its a nice change to own something of quality that a person/company cared about making with a high level of precision, and which is intended to last for a very long time. Yet having those ideals and owning high quality items even for the best of reasons, doesn't mean someone else won't view posts showing photos of said items as showing off. If you talked to a few of my co-workers they would think you are flaunting your wealth and wasting your resources if you are spending money on anything other than your home and family vacations. I don't subscribe to that mind set, but to each his own.
I like the way the syringe hands don't overlap the hour markers. For some reason, which I would struggle to elucidate, I find it clumsy when the sword hands do that. But no doubt they are both beautiful watches. I was very disappointed to miss out on a mint US version in a recent auction.
I can't decide if I find the syringe hands a bit too short looking...hence my preference for the sword hands...I could easily live with either version as I think its one of JLC's most attractive offerings in recent years. Sorry you missed out on a mint one!

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really follow too many threads here anymore, but just to echo a couple sentiments stated above, I find that the vast majority of pictures here are mostly to show particular features of a certain suit or shoe or fit combo. It's good for geeking out and appreciating subtle details or stylistic choices. On other forums ( or say Instagram), I think people often are trying to portray a certain lifestyle which is a little cloying. Like, conspicuously including the cabin of a private jet, sports car or gun. All in good fun but I think there are more tasteful ways of providing a little context for any given article.

wristandfeet

Reaction score
I can't decide if I find the syringe hands a bit too short looking...hence my preference for the sword hands...I could easily live with either version as I think its one of JLC's most attractive offerings in recent years. Sorry you missed out on a mint one!

Thank you both for the compliments. And absolutely agree that both are fantastic. To me the biggest difference between the two sets of hands are actually not the shape, but the color. The matching faux patina between hands and markers on the U.S. edition is what ultimately made me choose it.

The other minor factor is the taller font "REVERSO" on the U.S.

Again, both are phenomenal

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brilliant post; really made me grin! One of these days, I suspect it will be the 114060, for two reasons: firstly, I like the absence of the day counter and the resultant "purity" of the design. And secondly, I like the way the case sits on my (7.25") wrist, flatter and wider, like you said. But the SD does have more of a retro cool about it. Each to his own; for now they remain on the wish list. So get it. The waiting list is there, but it won't be forever and as you're still planning, there's no harm in getting on the list now. It depends where you are, but I'm sure that in reality it will be a few months, not years. As for your friend's comments, they seem a little ignorant. Yes, there is a trend for enormous watches right now, but trends come and go. Somehow a 36mm Rolex first sold in the 60s still looks as good now as it did then, and will in the 2060s. A 45mm bronze spam tin sitting 18mm up off the wrist will be about as cool in twenty years as tartan flares and platforms are now. Fortunately, I have both options! But only one is worth spending proper money on. As for Hublot, you can get one cheaper than a Daytona on the grey market. But that will also go the way of the tartan flares - and be worth about as much. The 39-ish mm Daytona is not big and it's not small. It is, however, a design classic of impeccable reputation, incomparable design identity, flawless manufacturing quality and proportions that just don't get old. It will never be the wrong watch to own. More importantly, it's the one you like. Get it, and feel great about it.
@mimo thanks for your comment and you are right that trends are essentially trends. I'm taking a trip to the Rolex dealership in SF tomorrow afternoon so thanks for the nudge.
If you like it, get it. Personally, would not go so sporty for the first "nice" watch, but it's a solid choice. And I wouldn't touch a Hublot for anything over $5500. Edit - not sure where (if anywhere) you are in your collection, but if it's just getting started or shifting from base level pieces, your budget allows you to make some really great inroads. For example, you can easily pick up an El Primero, iconic in its own right, and another comparably priced dress watch for your $15K budget.
@usctrojans31 First off , Fight on! I thought about getting a dressier and a sportier watch within that budget but ultimately decided that the Daytona had a good balance of both worlds
Have you considered the < 2015 Daytona- the model being replaced by the 116520 ceramic? You can still find those new/mint on the net, no wait. Many folks like that version better, it certainly dresses up more and is probably more versatile overall than the white face/black subdial ceramic. I liked the older model, but after handling the ceramic black dial I have to say it's truly stunning. You can buy the new one now if you're willing to go above MSRP. Most AD's will not take a deposit on allocated watches like this one. The ceramic bezel does make the newer model wear a little bigger FYI. I never found the older model small. Too many guys have seen women on Instagram wearing Daytonas and it's scared them off, pretty ridiculous to me. No offense to your friend, Hublot has very little respect in watch circles, and if you ever decide to sell you will take a bath on it. If you want something bigger/trendy Hublot could be good, something classic there is no comparison between anything in Hublot's lineup and a Daytona.
@bigbadbuff Im open to @] With a budget of 15k. I'd probably get two pieces 1) Sub non-date and 2) Omega Speedmaster FOIS. Hublot is a bit too eccentric for a first watch. Although I do like the aesthetic of the first big bang. But it's more of a flourish to a collection that has everything. Most hublots are ugly. but I do like this one.
[/QUOTE]
@k4lnamja Agreed with what everyone else has said regarding the Hublot. I wouldn't worry about the Daytona being too sporty as long as it matches your aesthetic. I can count the number of times Ill wear a suit in a given year by counting the Save-The-Dates hung on my fridge, so a sport watch works perfectly for me. Also office formal is often very different from actual formal, so a sport watch with a suit won't stand out too much and might even be de rigueur. If you're interested in the uniqueness of the Hublot, I'd recommend you check out the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400. It's a classic design that can be dressed up or down, and on the grey market it'll fall right within your budget.
@roomiller that's funny how you recommended the exact watch (AP Royal Oak) my friend was recommending. I'll def take a look.
Find a new buddy! ;) Just kidding. To each his own, but Hublot makes giant watches that are overly busy, on some level they resemble a mediocre copy of an AP RO, and Hublots have terrible resale value if you tire of it and decide to sell or trade it. If you love the brand or a specific model then go for it, but there are so many great options within your budget. In addition, if you really love the SS Daytona follow your heart. Put your name down on dealers lists and when you travel, see where the nearest Rolex ADs are and inquire with them. That's what I did 20+ years ago when steel Daytona were in very short supply and were selling for 50-100% over their MSRP. To be honest "The chase" was fun and added to the excitement when I finally got one (or later two). I don't find anything feminine about Daytonas. Heck, I'd gladly take a older manual wind Daytona which was only around 37mm. Unless you have giant wrists and are really ripped, I find 38-40mm is really a great very versatile size range. At roughly 40mm the Daytona can be paired with a suit if necessary and its still a great size for a sports watch. I think as others have said, perhaps seeing women wear them has made them seem more unisex or feminine but I see it as a mans watch. I've seen women wearing Submariners and I don't think the Sub is a feminine watch either. Wishing you luck on your search for a Daytona! +1 :fistbump: and as you suggested the previous generation Daytona is a great choice if the OP doesn't want to wait. I think the dial symmetry of the ND Sub and its lack of a date window, make a greater impact on the watch's appearance than the bezel symmetry of the SD. Personally I think the narrower lugs of the SD are a very nice nod to the previous generation of diving Rolex models, and help make the thicker SD more wearable than if it had both a thicker case and wider lugs. However, I prefer the less busy bezel of the ND Sub. In the end there really isn't a bad choice, the ND Sub and SD 4000 are great watches.
@dino944 I'm headed to the Rolex dealer tomorrow :) Appreciate the awesome feedback.
You have a $15k budget? First off go used, that 15k will get you very far. I personally don't like Hublot very much. If you are looking for a white dial watch that is non-feminine, I would look into getting a used AP Royal Oak. You can find them used for well under 15k. Throw a black or brown leather on that thing and you have a beautiful versatile watch on your wrist.
@egluck3 I'm definitely open to used but the likelihood of having the newer 116500 used is pretty slim. I am open to the pre 2016's though. -- Hi everyone. Sorry for the late reply as I've been busy with my new job. Apologies as instead of Hublot I meant Audemars Piguet (of what my friend recommended). Just to clarify, this will be my first watch other than my apple watch. Yes, yes, I know Im going from a Toyota to a Mercedes/BMW/Audi (whichever you want to use). Ive always been hesitant to spend over X $ because I guess I never appreciated watches or the "character" behind them too. I know Ive been told by many to not look at a watch as an investment but its hard for me to not think that way because 1. I used to work in finance and 2. thats just the mentality that I have. I'm sure there are many other watches that are great investments but the core reason of why I am open to a $15K budget (which may not be much compared to certain people) is I appreciate quality and everything that comes with it. Plus, I love the look of the daytona a lot. That being said, I appreciate all of your feedback and I'll be visiting the Rolex dealer and window shopping other watches tomorrow. Cheers

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck on the Daytona. Not to be a downer but it might be a few months before you get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics