• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few questions I'm pondering over for future purchases:

Nautilus vs RO
If nautilus, 3700 vs 3800 vs 5800 vs 5711?
If RO, 5402 vs 15202 vs 14790?

Kinda liking these two vintage watches recently
UG Polerouter
Omega Seamaster 300

Yoshka

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply regarding the Patek 3940P. I was being shown the watch where there lighting was not great for taking photographs and my phone was a poor substitute for a great SLR camera. The watch was not in the bag, but rather on top of it. Still, not a good photo. However, it does show the color contrast within the dial and I wanted to show that. I am not sure better pictures would be of value only because the brightness of the dial would be related to the lighting and exposure. It was for that reason, I was wondering without relying on internet photos if all 3940p watches have a very similar dial color or not. What I gather and also from just calling my local Patek store today and speaking so someone who seemed very familiar with the 3940p is that the dial color on the 3940p is pretty much the same for all of these platinum watches. I think I was just thrown off by thinking I was going to see a white dial when in fact these have silver dials. If the 3940p did come in white and silver dial options, I would pick white, but if all are the same and all are silver, I will be happy with my watch because all of the advantages of this particular watch then outweigh this issue.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply regarding the Patek 3940P. I was being shown the watch where there lighting was not great for taking photographs and my phone was a poor substitute for a great SLR camera. The watch was not in the bag, but rather on top of it. Still, not a good photo. However, it does show the color contrast within the dial and I wanted to show that. I am not sure better pictures would be of value only because the brightness of the dial would be related to the lighting and exposure. It was for that reason, I was wondering without relying on internet photos if all 3940p watches have a very similar dial color or not. What I gather and also from just calling my local Patek store today and speaking so someone who seemed very familiar with the 3940p is that the dial color on the 3940p is pretty much the same for all of these platinum watches. I think I was just thrown off by thinking I was going to see a white dial when in fact these have silver dials. If the 3940p did come in white and silver dial options, I would pick white, but if all are the same and all are silver, I will be happy with my watch because all of the advantages of this particular watch then outweigh this issue.

Best wishes on the purchase.

Here is my 3940P with the opaline white evincing more of that eggshell-like quality versus cold silver.

Emospence

Reaction score
A few questions I'm pondering over for future purchases:

Nautilus vs RO
If nautilus, 3700 vs 3800 vs 5800 vs 5711?
If RO, 5402 vs 15202 vs 14790?

Kinda liking these two vintage watches recently
UG Polerouter
Omega Seamaster 300

RO

benf

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post in this forum. Visited some vintage watch ships in Tokyo the last couple of days and got to try on several watches that I've been considering but would not be able to do in my home country. It comes down to this:-

- a 2010 Patek 5040J in mint condition with papers and complete set
- a 5035G with open papers and complete set although the interior of the box is quite worn

I also looked at 5146 and 5140 but I found that the larger cases do not fit me as well. Also i found the smaller dials to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Originally my grail (being my first PP complication) watch is a 3940G-the 36mm is a good fit for me. I came across a couple of them and I love them but they do NOT come with papers let alone box-which is a big let-down for me. The tonneau is an unusual shape but to my surprise, I was drawn to it almost immediately and in yellow gold (I am a WG person). In terms of price, the 5040J is ~60% higher. Also, the 5040 comes with a PP winder (3k value) together with a deployant buckle (3k) so that'd justify some of the differential. To me, the perp-cal represents relatively better value. The price is a stretch (at this point) though doable.

As someone who has never purchased a pre-owned watch nor traded one, my concerns are:-
- is the price differential in line with the general market
- is the 5040G a better value and investment proposition than a 3940G
- if I get the 5035 now and trade up to a 3940 at a later date, will most dealers accept a trade-in? If so, will they offer market value on the model I'm trading in and I pay the difference? Another issue worth noting is that there're few vintage dealers in Oz, so I've limited bargaining power. The alternative is a private sale but since I've no history nor feedback, i worry it'll be a problem. The 5035 would be a stop-gap measure and my ultimate goal is a 3940G with complete set (followed by a 3970G a.la no frills).

Gentlemen, may I ask how you'd approach this and also comments to my questions above.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
A couple of new acquisitions for me and the wife:

I love this watch. Pictures do not do justice to the depth of the red.

Next to my Grande GMT:

The difference in weight and thickness is amazing.

This one is definitely a keeper. Next step: Engraving the case back.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Have you thought of who to use for engraving? The best independent guy domestically retired a bit ago (JC Randell), I missed out on using him for my 1931 Tribute.

I don't know if there are any competent gun engravers near me, there is a guy in Australia who does watches (a la Madewell Rolexes) on Instagram that looks to do interesting work.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of the big name gun engravers in the states aren't taking new commissions and/or don't work on watches IIRC. I'm sure there are tons of talented people who are a little less well known.

Last edited:

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Yeah I was very bummed to find out J.C. Randell had retired, and there is no consensus engraver who has taken his place. I guess I will get a quote from JLC.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into sinn lately after reading the thread. I really like the look of the watch, kind of weird there seems to be only 1 US ad as far as I can tell.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends where you travel. I take it all off, and either put it in my bag or in the pocket of my jacket if I'm wearing one, then that goes through the scanner.

Hmm...Sinn again. Funny how that name keeps coming up.

FWIW I've got a 856UTC and EZM3, both of which get more wrist time than my seamaster

Some photos that I've posted here before...since this time I've switched to a bracelet for the ezm and to a nato for the 856

e: to further egg mimo on...both of these were acquired for under 1200 each

Last edited:

atia2

Reaction score
^ Yes, it's stunning. History, elegance, craftsmanship, quirkiness - all on one wrist. My next watch will have to be a Reverso.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads