• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried this on today. I was actually hoping to try the steel GMT One if they had it, but they only had the titanium and gold. I was hoping to like it, but left fairly unimpressed as the GMT bezel did not work very smoothly on this one at all.

View attachment 2169457
That is disappointing to hear. I quite like Chopard watches, but their pricing has gotten really aggressive, a bit like the recent Patek discussion.

Their older LUC watches that are quite beautiful seem to offer great value, I think. Second hand of course. But they are much dressier than this GMT.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is disappointing to hear. I quite like Chopard watches, but their pricing has gotten really aggressive, a bit like the recent Patek discussion.

Their older LUC watches that are quite beautiful seem to offer great value, I think. Second hand of course. But they are much dressier than this GMT.

Yeah they were Geneva seal watches for way below other brands used. Now prices have caught up a little but still low which is nice.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is disappointing to hear.
I didn't try the gold, as it's out of budget, and they didn't have the steel model I was interested in, but I think the combination of the titanium being very light and the roughness of turning the internal GMT bezel, almost made it feel like a toy. In any case it wasn't the experience I was hoping it would be. Perhaps the gold or steel would be different. (Media circus outside the store was insane too as it's directly across from Trump Tower.)

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot that Patek should not be commended for but the RHC line is one place where I think that Patek should be commended. I think the Surfer is cool and I respect the craft, but that one does not really do anything for me. However, to me the right RHC is something that is very cool. In particular, I am incredibly drawn to the 5089G-059, which shows roped alpinists. Some of the designs are kitschy, no doubt, but the people who make these dials are at the top of their craft. I personally really like marquetry and enamel.

clipboard15-horz-1024x635.jpg

I did learn, however, that the price is about double what I was told the price is, so that curtails my personal desire 🤣.

I think the craft and artistry behind this line is wonderful and I think its a nice addition to the Patek brand. Where I am at odds with the RHC line is the super high bar for the ability for allocation and the niche subject matter of each one. From my (albeit rudimentary) understanding the RHC are on par or near the same bar for allocation as minute repeaters.

Its just gotta be wild to spend a years collecting high end Pateks to get an invite to visit the factory/museum, to place a RHC on your wishlist to be allocated one the following year. Then you find out its got a surfer on it but you live in Chicago and don't even really like the beach or maybe you're an UMC Manhattanite and you get one of mountain climbing but you've never spent a weekend even camping?

Since these are application pieces anyways, I think it would make more sense for them to almost be bespoke piece unique ones that speak to the owner directly.

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the craft and artistry behind this line is wonderful and I think its a nice addition to what they the Patek brand. Where I am at odds with the RHC line is the super high bar for the ability for allocation and the niche subject matter of each one. From my (albeit rudimentary) understanding the RHC are on par or near the same bar for allocation as minute repeaters.

Its just gotta be wild to spend a years collecting high end Pateks to get an invite to visit the factory/museum, to place a RHC on your wishlist to be allocated one next year. Then you find out its got a surfer on it but you live in Chicago and don't even really like the beach or maybe you're an UMC Manhattanite and you get one of mountain climbing but you've never spent a weekend even camping?

Since these are application pieces anyways, I think it would make more sense for them to almost be bespoke piece unique ones that speak to the owner directly.

This Asian couple on Instagram seems to get whatever they want from PP (and AP and Journe)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried this on today. I was actually hoping to try the steel GMT One if they had it, but they only had the titanium and gold. I was hoping to like it, but left fairly unimpressed as the GMT bezel did not work very smoothly on this one at all.

View attachment 2169457
That's a shame as they have made some great watches in the past. I will say, and perhaps I am biased being a Rolex fanboy, there are lots of GMT or second time zone watches on the market, but few are as easy to use, easy tell the time at a glance for both timezones, and attractive as a GMT Master or Explorer II. Most look like derivatives, that have a forced design language that is trying to be different from a Rolex, but are rarely successful of doing a better job or looking better. Two second time zone watches that are attractive, easy to use, and easy tell the time in both zones at a glance are the now old PP 5134 Travel Time and the original JLC Master Geographic.

I'd love to pick up a titanium watch in the future, but this Chopard doesn't do it for me.

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
There is a lot that Patek should not be commended for but the RHC line is one place where I think that Patek should be commended. I think the Surfer is cool and I respect the craft, but that one does not really do anything for me. However, to me the right RHC is something that is very cool. In particular, I am incredibly drawn to the 5089G-059, which shows roped alpinists. Some of the designs are kitschy, no doubt, but the people who make these dials are at the top of their craft. I personally really like marquetry and enamel.

clipboard15-horz-1024x635.jpg

I did learn, however, that the price is about double what I was told the price is, so that curtails my personal desire 🤣.
I was at the Patek boutique in Geneva for the launch of this year's RHC line, which includes clocks as well as watches utilising every conceivable skill. The one thing I learned was that these items are on an allocation basis, potential clients are notified several weeks ago with images of the new product, details of the products and the prices. They are then asked to notify PP which items they might be interested in, then the head of the RHC, the head of the GVA boutique and M. Stern look at the list and decide who gets what. I was told that between 75% and 90% of the applicants will go away empty handed.
All of the product is finished and ready for delivery prior to the list being sent out, so successful bidders will have their choices in their hands in the next couple of months.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can respect the work that goes into a RHC from PP, but practically, they do not look good on the wrist as a watch...at all. It's just like putting a really nice piece of art on a watch with an incredibly mediocre finish/movement at the price point. Plus it's kind of lame to have a painting on a watch lol

So...at which point...I'd rather commission something directly from an artist like Anita Porchet...

But I get the whole brand thing and Pahhhtonnnk Filiiiip

pmeis

Reaction score
So I went looking for some interesting watch box ideas and came across a guy in Australia named David Innocente who makes watch boxes using similar construction materials and methods as my favorite bass guitar, powder coated sheet metal and wood. A few emails and a payment later, it was time for a 13 week wait for my box to arrive. It arrived last week and I'm pretty happy with the results!

Not an exact match for my bass as he used some native silky oak and his powder coater didn't have access to the full range of colors my luthier had, but really nicely done.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Tudor BB Monochrome is great. Wears really nicely, albeit not as comfortable as the Sub. Thickness is somewhat noticeable, and bracelet to watch transition is clunkier than, say, a jubilee. But this is probably THE watch I would recommend sub-$5,000, particularly to a normie.

IMG_2603.jpeg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Tudor BB Monochrome is great. Wears really nicely, albeit not as comfortable as the Sub. Thickness is somewhat noticeable, and bracelet to watch transition is clunkier than, say, a jubilee. But this is probably THE watch I would recommend sub-$5,000, particularly to a normie.

View attachment 2169907
22mm lug width is a hard “no” for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads