• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys would have some advice for me. I'm a young man with oddly small wrists (only about 6 inches around behind my wrist bone) but still have a love for watches. Before I spend a lot of time and money looking for the perfect kind, do you think that small wrists lend to certain styles of watch being more flattering, and if so, what kinds? I apologize in advance if this question is a tad overdone.
Dress watches are usually smaller so they might be more flattering, Sports watches of up to 36mm usually look proportional on a 6” wrist or less.
Now it is also a matter of personal taste, plenty of guys with small wrists seem to like huge watches.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys would have some advice for me. I'm a young man with oddly small wrists (only about 6 inches around behind my wrist bone) but still have a love for watches. Before I spend a lot of time and money looking for the perfect kind, do you think that small wrists lend to certain styles of watch being more flattering, and if so, what kinds? I apologize in advance if this question is a tad overdone.
Are you looking for a new watch or are vintage watches ok with you. Before the "I need to out do Flava Flav" sized watches became the thing to have in the last 15 to 20 years, watches were considerably smaller. There are some really good deals available on what some would consider modest sized or small on average to larger wrists, but would be proportionately great for a guy with smaller wrists. It just depends a bit on the style of watch you are looking for and an approximate budget.

Dylan.J

Reaction score
Are you looking for a new watch or are vintage watches ok with you. Before the "I need to out do Flava Flav" sized watches became the thing to have in the last 15 to 20 years, watches were considerably smaller. There are some really good deals available on what some would consider modest sized or small on average to larger wrists, but would be proportionately great for a guy with smaller wrists. It just depends a bit on the style of watch you are looking for and an approximate budget.
I'm very ok with vintage watches, and was looking at a few before I posted at first. I love a classic tank, santos, panthere, a bunch of old audemars models, submariners, etc, usually more minimal dress watches (I also put some pictures of stuff I like below). This is one of my milestone gifts for myself but, still as a student, I would look at basically anything below 5 figures. What kind of deals do you think would be available for that kind of stuff?

Attachments

• 254608-01-350x525.jpg
    254608-01-350x525.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 270594-90-350x525.jpg
    270594-90-350x525.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 28
  • c696054-01-350x525.jpg
    c696054-01-350x525.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 33

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm very ok with vintage watches, and was looking at a few before I posted at first. I love a classic tank, santos, panthere, a bunch of old audemars models, submariners, etc, usually more minimal dress watches (I also put some pictures of stuff I like below). This is one of my milestone gifts for myself but, still as a student, I would look at basically anything below 5 figures. What kind of deals do you think would be available for that kind of stuff?

One thing to keep in mind is that lug to lug distance (length) is more important for someone of your wrist size. Obviously a 46mm watch will look big on you no matter the lug to lug but a smaller diameter watch could look to big on you if it has long lugs.

For example, this is a wide watch (I want to say 42mm but not sure) but even if it was a 38mm watch with those huge lugs, it would look big on you, as it does on this poster from watchprosite where I got the pic.

IMG_8337.jpeg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to me the issue depends on how you intend to wear ,

imho the biggest thing to avoid in sizing a watch is to have it 'fit' but there are like little negative space triangles formed by the lugs , strap / bracelet , and wrist .

( ^ the previous poast does a nice job highlighting that . )

but I do think there are options for skinnier wrists with bigger watches , including letting the bracelet / strap out a bit more and letting things jangle around . it may not work for a buckle strap I wouldn't want to risk having an expensive watch fall off my wrist but it should work for bracelets or deployant straps . bund straps could work too , or wearing a watch over fabric . but to me the gapping bracelet is a bad vibe , ymmv !

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My four slot (worn with sports coats or sweaters) is finally complete. @DavidLane made the strap with leather salvaged from French ammo bags from the early 1950s. As the watch is from 1951, it was a perfect match. And as an added bonus it matches @Texasmade‘s birth year.
IMG_3642.jpeg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you be amenable to a Reverso? They come in multiple sizes so you'd have to make sure it wasn't one of the larger ones. The bigger ones are called Grand Taille. Something like this, though, the Reverso Sun Moon, would wear small and looks stunning.

I'm thinking of getting one myself because I've been looking for a small watch in yellow or rose gold with a white face, one that doesn't look like other watches in my (very small) rotation.

Attachments

• reverso.jpg
    reverso.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 17

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I have ever seen a larger disconnect between dial and movement. It’s like they collaborated with Frederique Constant.

IMG_2178.jpeg

IMG_2179.jpeg

Last edited:

pmeis

Reaction score
I am not sure I have ever seen a larger disconnect between dial and movement. It’s like they collaborated with Frederique Constant.

View attachment 2151175
View attachment 2151177
I was coming here to post something similar. These mechanical geniuses really need somebody to come in and consult on aesthetics...I'm looking at you as well Mr. Lederer...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you could do quite well with something from the 1989s or 90s from Vacheron or AP as some of their dress watches were about 32-33mm. I'm not sure if one of the smaller Patek Calatravas might still be within your budget. I saw one YG VC with small seconds on chrono24 for I think about $7,500. I think a classic size Tank or a smaller sized Revero would work quite well for you also. Avoid larger sized square or rectangular watches as they tend to wear larger than a round watch of similar measurements.
but I do think there are options for skinnier wrists with bigger watches , including letting the bracelet / strap out a bit more and letting things jangle around .

I'd caution the would be buyer about doing that. I've seen watches where people have done that, and over time it stretches the bracelet badly. Having the watch head jangling around and hanging at an angle pulling on the bracelet rather than a more traditional fit, puts added strain on the links and pins and stretches them. But if that works for the OP then so be it.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you be amenable to a Reverso? They come in multiple sizes so you'd have to make sure it wasn't one of the larger ones. The bigger ones are called Grand Taille. Something like this, though, the Reverso Sun Moon, would wear small and looks stunning.

I'm thinking of getting one myself because I've been looking for a small watch in yellow or rose gold with a white face, one that doesn't look like other watches in my (very small) rotation.

Definitely, a watch that needs to be tried on to check fit. I love the sun/moon and nearly bought one years ago (bought a VC instead). The sun/moon is from back before the lugs were reprofiled. Some people found the size combined with the flat case back and lugs made for a tough fit. A buddy sold one years ago for that reason, but later purchased a more modern one that fit differently. Still, if the sun/moon fits someone comfortably, it's definitely worth picking up! It's a real beauty!

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Practically nobody wants 34-35mm size vintage watches... it's a buyer's market. Just factor in servicing cost if you go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads