• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WiseMenOfGotham

Reaction score
IMG_1493.jpeg
IMG_1494.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve also recently experienced a liquidity event and want to add a watch. However, I find myself torn in MANY different directions (in no order of preference):

1. Vintage DD?
2. Vintage 16710 (coke)?
3. Tank Louis?
4. Grand Seiko GMT 221?
5. Rolex GMT RB (full RG)?
6. ALS L1?

I do what twat tells me to do. Please advise…
The only reason, I can see going vintage DD, is if you want one with a stone dial. Some of the older stone dial offerings are really handsome. However, you have to be very careful, a lot of vintage DD's before there were ceramic inserts in the bracelet links suffer from insane amounts of bracelet stretch. Yes, you can send it someplace to get it fixed but why deal with that stuff, unless its a truly special piece. The offer a few stone dials now, but I'm not so sure I love the current ones.

The 16710, is a nice watch. You can't go wrong with one, but I like the Pepsi. To me the coke always fell a bit flat, but that's subjective.

The Tank Louis is a classic. I'm a big fan boy, I think the classic RG is nice, or go for the YG black dial, very elegant. Change the strap, and the watch takes on a very different character. Don't just wear it as a dress watch...wear it with jeans and a nice shirt. I love mine. It's not my most valuable watch, but honestly, it probably garners more interest, questions, and attention than most of my others combined. That surprises me because it's not a hype watch, or a big watch that is in peoples faces, it's very understated and elegant.

Grand Seiko, sorry, but they do nothing for me. I think the only one I ever thought was really beautiful, it was so crazy expensive that I'd be looking at fare more unusual brands.

If going for a RB GMT...go big or go HOME! GO Full GOLD!!!! I don't know if it gives you something drastically different from your Batman beyond color...but if you own lots of white metal watches, definitely consider getting something in RG or YG to add some variety of color whether it's a Rolex or something else.

ALS L1, is a wonderful watch. To me it's their signature piece, and one of the only ALS watches that I'd ever want to own.

I do like @Ebitdaddy 's suggestion of the Armin Strom. That's a very cool watch. One of my watch collecting friends has been looking at them recently. Not sure if he will pull the trigger on it, but it's unique, very high quality, and something you probably won't see on many other people in the wild even if you go to a watch event.

I also like his Breguet suggestion, but I'm not a fan of the Traditional. To me their guilloche work is so beautiful, that it seems like something is missing when you only get the small dial of that model. I also don't find the open front all that appealing. There are other open work designs I prefer. So I would probably opt for a more classical dress model. Although, I don't know if a dress watch would be too limiting in terms of use, depending on your lifestyle.

I also like his suggestion of the Millenary. It's a often overlooked and forgotten model. I like the one he suggested, and also the Millenary Star Wheel. The Star wheel would give you an interesting jumping hour display.

Anyway, wishing you luck with wherever this journey takes you.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Yeah, I can’t shake that GS. I’m going to see one on Friday…will report back…
I love everything about what GS does . . . other than their bracelets, and the fact that I find their cases a little too boring. That's what's kept me from acquiring one; BEAUTIFUL dials and compelling technology, in a to-me-too-boring case and bracelet.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love everything about what GS does . . . other than their bracelets, and the fact that I find their cases a little too boring. That's what's kept me from acquiring one; BEAUTIFUL dials and compelling technology, in a to-me-too-boring case and bracelet.
I’ve never considered anything that comes on a bracelet, but the 221 on a leather strap looks nice.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only reason, I can see going vintage DD, is if you want one with a stone dial. Some of the older stone dial offerings are really handsome. However, you have to be very careful, a lot of vintage DD's before there were ceramic inserts in the bracelet links suffer from insane amounts of bracelet stretch. Yes, you can send it someplace to get it fixed but why deal with that stuff, unless its a truly special piece. The offer a few stone dials now, but I'm not so sure I love the current ones.

The 16710, is a nice watch. You can't go wrong with one, but I like the Pepsi. To me the coke always fell a bit flat, but that's subjective.

The Tank Louis is a classic. I'm a big fan boy, I think the classic RG is nice, or go for the YG black dial, very elegant. Change the strap, and the watch takes on a very different character. Don't just wear it as a dress watch...wear it with jeans and a nice shirt. I love mine. It's not my most valuable watch, but honestly, it probably garners more interest, questions, and attention than most of my others combined. That surprises me because it's not a hype watch, or a big watch that is in peoples faces, it's very understated and elegant.

Grand Seiko, sorry, but they do nothing for me. I think the only one I ever thought was really beautiful, it was so crazy expensive that I'd be looking at fare more unusual brands.

If going for a RB GMT...go big or go HOME! GO Full GOLD!!!! I don't know if it gives you something drastically different from your Batman beyond color...but if you own lots of white metal watches, definitely consider getting something in RG or YG to add some variety of color whether it's a Rolex or something else.

ALS L1, is a wonderful watch. To me it's their signature piece, and one of the only ALS watches that I'd ever want to own.

I do like @Ebitdaddy 's suggestion of the Armin Strom. That's a very cool watch. One of my watch collecting friends has been looking at them recently. Not sure if he will pull the trigger on it, but it's unique, very high quality, and something you probably won't see on many other people in the wild even if you go to a watch event.

I also like his Breguet suggestion, but I'm not a fan of the Traditional. To me their guilloche work is so beautiful, that it seems like something is missing when you only get the small dial of that model. I also don't find the open front all that appealing. There are other open work designs I prefer. So I would probably opt for a more classical dress model. Although, I don't know if a dress watch would be too limiting in terms of use, depending on your lifestyle.

I also like his suggestion of the Millenary. It's a often overlooked and forgotten model. I like the one he suggested, and also the Millenary Star Wheel. The Star wheel would give you an interesting jumping hour display.

Anyway, wishing you luck with wherever this journey takes you.
Great input! (And yeah, I’m only considering full gold gmt…)

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve also recently experienced a liquidity event and want to add a watch. However, I find myself torn in MANY different directions (in no order of preference):

1. Vintage DD?
2. Vintage 16710 (coke)?
3. Tank Louis?
4. Grand Seiko GMT 221?
5. Rolex GMT RB (full RG)?
6. ALS L1?

I do what twat tells me to do. Please advise…

Memovox Polaris E859

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Great input! (And yeah, I’m only considering full gold gmt…)
Yes as usual great post by @Dino944. I dig the idea 💡 of a vintage DD with a stone dial.
Otherwise don’t know if you were open to all those suggestions 🤭, speaking of stone dials it was something that Piaget did, and their vintage Tanks are imho more interesting and rarer than Cartier. They are also ultra-thin, like the VC that are a good suggestion indeed.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Yes as usual great post by @Dino944. Ill je the idea 💡 f a vintage DD with a stone dial.
Otherwise don’t know if you were open to all those suggestions 🤭, speaking of stone dials it was something that Piaget did, and their vintage Tanks are imho more interesting and rarer than Cartier. They are also ultra-thin, like the VC patrimony, a good suggestion indeed.
Dino and I are friends but even despite that yes I agree 100%.

Although I still have a bit of a hankerin' for a vintage DD and there are some "interesting" dials that aren't necessarily stone. I'd not consider a champaign dial....but I hope to find an "interesting" dial that maybe isn't commanding stone dial prices right now.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes as usual great post by @Dino944. I dig the idea 💡 of a vintage DD with a stone dial.
Otherwise don’t know if you were open to all those suggestions 🤭, speaking of stone dials it was something that Piaget did, and their vintage Tanks are imho more interesting and rarer than Cartier. They are also ultra-thin, like the VC that are a good suggestion indeed.
Yeah, I actually saw a lovely Piaget "tank" with a stone dial on Chrono, but the condition was not great. The reason for vintage DD, rather than new one, is more about "toning" the watch down a bit and I think a stone dial might result in the opposite?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino and I are friends but even despite that yes I agree 100%.

Although I still have a bit of a hankerin' for a vintage DD and there are some "interesting" dials that aren't necessarily stone. I'd not consider a champaign dial....but I hope to find an "interesting" dial that maybe isn't commanding stone dial prices right now.
Exactly. The stone-dial premiums are kind of crazy in some cases.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was *this* close to pulling the trigger on a grail watch, but found a piece of art (OK, three pieces of art) I wanted even more. So many vices, only so much discretionary expenditure that can get by the bedroom audit committee in any given quarter.
You and me both. :fistbump: The learning curve for collecting art is quite a bit steeper than it is for collecting watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads