• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmeis

Reaction score
was just poking around for an electric bass ( I think somebody just posted one in here ? ) and Japanese vendors are indeed a great deal rn

Ha, there was one in my watch pic two pages back. Biggest issue with buying an instrument from Japan are the shipping costs. Shipping something that large from Japan isn’t cheap.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about a Zenith Daytona?
It's an amazing watch, and if I went the Daytona route, it would be my jam. However, I've never really been that interested in Daytonas (I really wouldn't trade wearing my Speedy for a Daytona). It may seem petty, but the screw down pushers are a deal breaker. I also just find Daytona hype and the resulting premium over extended.

symphvaria

Reaction score
I’ve also recently experienced a liquidity event and want to add a watch. However, I find myself torn in MANY different directions (in no order of preference):

1. Vintage DD?
2. Vintage 16710 (coke)?
3. Tank Louis?
4. Grand Seiko GMT 221?
5. Rolex GMT RB (full RG)?
6. ALS L1?

I do what twat tells me to do. Please advise…
I'm fond of not repeating watches in a collection, so I'm leaning Tank Louis or Lange 1, moreso towards the Tank because I don't believe you own any rectangular watches. Get it in yellow gold or something really classic like that.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here regularly wear an Apple Watch or other smartwatch? How do you think about rotating and dividing time with your mechanical watches?
I'm an outlier but since I started wearing a fitbit/apple watch, I rarely bother with mechanical pieces (or my sweet gshocks). I have all notifications turned off, so I don't use my "smartwatch" as anything other than a watch and fitness tracker. When I'm outside my home, I'm far more likely to be in a situation where the apple watch is the best option then one where a mechanical one is. That's true both for professional and personal situations, although I think the choice of watch matters less in my real life work circumstances.

Depending on how you look at it, my biggest mistake was succumbing to the convenience of electronic watches or acquiring mechanical watches in the age of technology to begin with.

I suppose as I age and become less active, my mechanical watches may receive more wear. I still enjoy them even if they are suffering from neglect. I have a decent collection and think there is about a 80% chance I never buy another mechanical watch.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here regularly wear an Apple Watch or other smartwatch? How do you think about rotating and dividing time with your mechanical watches?
initially when I was obsessed with the idea of counting every step and logging every calorie, I would wear both but having calmed down now, I wear apple watch to track activity and sleep, and other watches rest of the time.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve also recently experienced a liquidity event and want to add a watch. However, I find myself torn in MANY different directions (in no order of preference):

1. Vintage DD?
2. Vintage 16710 (coke)?
3. Tank Louis?
4. Grand Seiko GMT 221?
6. ALS L1?

Tank Louis

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Richard Learoyd. A still life, not one of his extremely high-quality candid portraits such as seen below.

RL-0501-Framed-1.jpg

You struck me more as a Tom of Finland fan.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Vintage DD?
2. Vintage 16710 (coke)?
3. Tank Louis?
4. Grand Seiko GMT 221?
6. ALS L1?

Congrats.

I've owned most of those, maybe helpful:

• Older vintage is kind of stressful. I had a 1966 5513 and a 1968 speedy. Sold both because I didn't like that they aren't waterproof, had to worry about shock, etc. Also don't like being the guy that puts dings and wear on a historic watch.
  • Coke seems ok, not so old you have to worry about weird problems.
  • Tank Louis, cool but very boring. I have 2x Tanks still and barely wear them.
  • Grand Seiko. These **** very hard for the price range. Incredible quality for the $ used.
  • Gold Rolex? You don't really get more watch for the $, just gold.
  • ALS L1. Cool but not really that good for the money IMO. When they were like $15k used, yeah but now they are $20k+ and that is too much for that watch.

I would maybe look at (all used):
  • Armin Strom Gravity Equal Force
  • Breguet Tradition series. Anywhere from 12k - 20k used depending on which one you pick. These are better finished and more visually interesting than a Lange 1.
  • AP Millenary 4101.
  • Other dressy breguets like the Tsar Reveil Du Alarm or whatever the ******* is are well within your price range and incredible value...
  • Blancpain Bathyscaphe if you want something sporty. The finishing is so amazing for the $ used. They go for like 5k - 7k depending on variant but have phatass anglage.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Vintage DD?
2. Vintage 16710 (coke)?
3. Tank Louis?
4. Grand Seiko GMT 221?
6. ALS L1?

(or in gold for both)

I think it would fit your taste, location and interests. Also maybe an Andersen world timer for that old school Patek vibe.

My inner snob says no to Japan as it's reaching / has past peak hype?

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(or in gold for both)

I think it would fit your taste, location and interests. Also maybe an Andersen world timer for that old school Patek vibe.

My inner snob says no to Japan as it's reaching / has past peak hype?
Another vote for Andersen world timer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads