• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@am55. When you say UK is a major destination, I would rather say London. The smoke had a certain cachet, but sadly, each time I’m there I find it faded a bit more. Same high street shops than everywhere else in the world, same hotels, massive immigration (not criticism, just facts), silly prices, junk monarchy for tourists and watch thieves.
Never been interested in Brit Watchmakers, and TBH like @9thsymph I find most « indie » watches too fussy.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people visit the UK? It's a strange choice of tourist destination: poor public services (don't get sick on your holiday...), horizontal rain most of the year with a low cloud ceiling and wind, old broken buildings with guillotine windows and double taps, a bit of a public disorder and alcoholism problem once you get out of the few nice bits left, and a countryside made mostly of muddy fields and grey motorways. The beer is flat, warm and bitter. Whilst some Brits can be absolutely delightful and warm individuals, forming lifelong deep friendships unlike anything you'll meet elsewhere, on the whole the tourist will face a certain distance and moodiness, a look of permanent depression set on faces, coupled with increasing anger as you move more north, flourishing in war faces after Hadrian's wall. And let's face it, both architecturally, and size wise, the most famous old stone buildings are a fraction of what Europeans have achieved - when Ludwig of Bavaria built his fantasy up on the rock between two lakes, he did not take inspiration from Windsor or Balmoral.

Yet, it is a major destination, arguably "the" major destination for most of the world going towards the European Continent (it was easier, way back when, to say Europe, but here, again, British peculiarity strikes).

I think the British have substantially influenced global culture, even outside their empire (cf Parisian anglophilia). And so, we subconsciously recognise that longing for Home (or the impossible fantasy of Home, really, if you read Orwell between the lines) of those Away, even if we are in our own home, and the British fantasy resonates. I have very fond memories of my many years on the isles, and I get the same feeling when I hear about RS, the Isle of Man (TT included), hell, RS even looks like my old supervisor back in the days, dresses the same too. I revel in the British silliness, such as their strange obsession with Mark 2 jags that blow up every 100km, famous Bordeaux that is now Chinese-owned and run, peculiar obsession with Italy and Greece (or Spain for the public drinkers), and wearing suit jackets in tropical climates. To analyse these things for their intrinsic qualities is missing the point. You must love RS qua RS. Rule Britannia...
Hmmm. My homeland ain’t quite as bleak as you paint, and RS is more overrated than any indie.
****, if that closed (well public now) bid is successful I’ll cringe a little, but own it I will. Not for the joy of RS ownership (If I could recall the post where I question the unmeritorious rise of RS [in this space] i would cite the post), but because when you add a charitable hook -by definition- I am hooked.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@am55. When you say UK is a major destination, I would rather say London. The smoke had a certain cachet, but sadly, each time I’m there I find it faded a bit more. Same high street shops than everywhere else in the world, same hotels, massive immigration (not criticism, just facts), silly prices, junk monarchy for tourists and watch thieves.
Never been interested in Brit Watchmakers, and TBH like @9thsymph I find most « indie » watches too fussy.

I mean they didn't call it Londongrad for nothing. Massive drop in economy after special operation.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_2049.jpeg

Best Omega watch since the gold Speedmasters that came out a couple years ago. Which, in turn, were the best Omega watches since the release of the 3861.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega continued on by introducing another wait list Speedy/Seamaster.

"Omega, we have something for everyone."

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the impression these will be readily available. It is a production model. Give it a year or two.

I do have a little bit of sticker shock. I need to check my receipt, but my Speedy 1861 was purchased from the Omega FAD for somewhere around $2,500 a decade ago. That was with a discount but all Omega could be purchased with 25-35% discount.

For the price, I struggle to think of many watches that are “better.” But for $1,000 more (about 12%), I could get a Submariner, which would make more sense in my collection. Let me unpack this: I think I would add it to my collection for $6,000 but, at the price, not sure I want two Omega Speedmasters in my collection. This is a highly personal calculation.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the impression these will be readily available. It is a production model. Give it a year or two.

I do have a little bit of sticker shock. I need to check my receipt, but my Speedy 1861 was purchased from the Omega FAD for somewhere around $2,500 a decade ago. That was with a discount but all Omega could be purchased with 25-35% discount.

For the price, I struggle to think of many watches that are “better.” But for $1,000 more (about 12%), I could get a Submariner, which would make more sense in my collection. Let me unpack this: I think I would add it to my collection for $6,000 but, at the price, not sure I want two Omega Speedmasters in my collection. This is a highly personal calculation.

Omega only strategy for this is to make it slightly more available and slightly cheaper than a Daytona...

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Irrespective of what fits better in your collection, are you really that price sensitive at such a (relatively) low price point? Would a grand or two make that much difference in a watch you loved?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Irrespective of what fits better in your collection, are you really that price sensitive at such a (relatively) low price point? Would a grand or two make that much difference in a watch you loved?

For a watch I have in a different color way, yes, for a watch I did not own, absolutely not.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do people visit the UK? It's a strange choice of tourist destination: poor public services (don't get sick on your holiday...), horizontal rain most of the year with a low cloud ceiling and wind, old broken buildings with guillotine windows and double taps, a bit of a public disorder and alcoholism problem once you get out of the few nice bits left, and a countryside made mostly of muddy fields and grey motorways. The beer is flat, warm and bitter. Whilst some Brits can be absolutely delightful and warm individuals, forming lifelong deep friendships unlike anything you'll meet elsewhere, on the whole the tourist will face a certain distance and moodiness, a look of permanent depression set on faces, coupled with increasing anger as you move more north, flourishing in war faces after Hadrian's wall. And let's face it, both architecturally, and size wise, the most famous old stone buildings are a fraction of what Europeans have achieved - when Ludwig of Bavaria built his fantasy up on the rock between two lakes, he did not take inspiration from Windsor or Balmoral.

For Yanks, it's probably the lack of a language barrier. I recommend Portugal over England if that is an issue. Portugal is one of the least-visited countries in Europe because it is difficult to incorporate into a vacation to multiple countries. I have not met a single person who visited Portugal and didn't love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads