• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen that discussion, but I would have to imagine the answer is heavily location-dependent. For example, here, the ultimate douche ride would be a particular type of pickup truck with certain features, including specific political bumper stickers.

In Miami or LA or Omaha, I'm sure the answer is very different.

regardless of locale no #1 is always the g wagon . every time i see one i think : 'maybe the nazis won?'

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fully blinged out Royal Oak Offshore is hard to beat for pure, unadulterated fvck-you-I’m-the-main-character.

1708978565355.png

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think caring about whether a watch is a “DB” watch is misguided to begin with.

The truth is, all of the watches mentioned—the Nautilus, the RO, Richard Mille, the Daytona, the Day-Date—are all exceptional watches with substantial intrinsic merit that have rightfully attained the status of modern classics. They are each expensive and hard to get. If the AP boutique suddenly wanted to sell me a 16202 at retail, I’d be jumping for joy and dropping everything to get to the store right away with my credit card. The last thing I’d be worried about? Whether some random dude on the internet without the same opportunity would think I or the watch are douchebaggy.

Mind you, said random dudes are rarely ever buying eccentric, unknown watches. They are just buying watches that are somewhat less hyped and somewhat more attainable. There is nothing original or unique about choosing a Rolex Submariner or an Omega Speedmaster for yourself.

If the Douchebag status of the Nautilus is Tier 1, due to the hype, notoriety, and visibility attached to it, that just means any “common” Rolex is Tier 3 Douchebag. In that case, I’ll happily max-out on douchebag rather than live under the sad delusion that my Explorer II says something special about me.

What’s a totally non-douchebag watch? The one nobody wants. What are we all actually choosing for ourselves? Almost in every instance: the most douchebaggy watch one can afford and attain.

Give me more douchebag, please.
IMG_7715.jpeg

“YOURE DAMN RIGHT IM A DOUCHE…!”

I rest my case your honor. The douche bag has rights…

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing many folks here restrain from buying watches they can afford, but pass on due to factors of douche-to-reward metrics? Maybe not? Is that a thing? It is for me…

Have you passed on a watch (you can afford) due to what you think it communicates to your constellation of acquaintances?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m guessing many folks here restrain from buying watches they can afford, but pass on due to factors of douche-to-reward metrics? Maybe not? Is that a thing? It is for me…

Have you passed on a watch (you can afford) due to what you think it communicates to your constellation of acquaintances?

Is this how you wound up with your Hamilton?

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
Haven't seen that discussion, but I would have to imagine the answer is heavily location-dependent. For example, here, the ultimate douche ride would be a particular type of pickup truck with certain features, including specific political bumper stickers.

In Miami or LA or Omaha, I'm sure the answer is very different.
Agree that it is geographically dependent, but also time dependent; we have lived in a very upwardly mobile street in north London for almost 40 years. Ten years ago our equivalent of Soccer Moms drove black Range Rovers, their husbands drove grey or blue Ferrari Californias but were usually picked up at 06:00 by a black S class. The help had a Prius.
Five years ago the usual garage contained a black G63, a light coloured 911 and a BMW i3. Now it’s an electric Mercedes or BMW SUV in the mandatory black, whilst the breadwinner drives Bentley GTC or whatever the angular Lamborghini SUV is called, the nanny has a Fiat 500e.

Two miles away it’s probably different

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
UJ seems like a brand that even if people are familiar with it, they rarely ever consider even when looking at other watches that are similarly priced. Even when chatting with the few guys I know who buy pieces from independents or less well known brands, it seems like a brand that is largely overlooked or forgotten.
And that’s a huge part of why I bought mine, I didn’t want to follow the well worn path, and I had always admired the work of Derek Pratt. I wanted a perpetual calendar, but I wanted one with Day Month windows, not a bunch of subsidiary dials. And I didn’t want one of the “usual suspects”; so I narrowed it down to the UJ and the DeBethune. My preference, because of the 3D moon, leaned towards the DB. But it was/is manual wind, and - for a perpetual calendar - that was a deal breaker, so the UJ won, and I haven’t regretted my choice for a moment

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ah. So you brought $70,000 to spend at the AD and they offered you a gold Nautilus, but you were like “Nah man, not a douchebag. Got a real watch, like a Hamilton?” Sounds like perfectly real conversation.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. So you brought $70,000 to spend at the AD and they offered you a gold Nautilus, but you were like “Nah man, not a douchebag. Got a real watch, like a Hamilton?” Sounds legit.
I mean, not in that order, but yeah. Do you still wear the bulk of your classical tailoring to work? Why not? Oh, right…because you’d look like a douche. This is just that same thing a few moves before you get there…see you when you get there!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean, not in that order, but yeah. Do you still wear the bulk of your classical tailoring to work? Why not? Oh, right…because you’d look like a douche. This is just that same thing a few moves before you get there…see you when you get there!

So, you mean if I work really hard to make a lot less money, go from front office to back office to basement storage, and start telling people it’s actually a good thing that I’m personally and professionally knee-capped, I can then throw away my Nautilus and aspire to a Hamilton?

A man can only dare dream so much, I’m afraid.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, you mean if I work really hard to make a lot less money, go from front office to back office to basement storage, and start telling people it’s actually a good thing that I’m personally and professionally knee-capped, I can then throw away my Nautilus and aspire to a Hamilton?

A man can only dare dream so much, I’m afraid.
For you, all roads lead to calling attention to your supposed wealth and status. That’s fine, but it’s also the behavior many might site as douchy?

So I agree with everything you are saying. I just also think it makes you a douche. And you’ve literally said the same: “Give me more douchebag, please.” And that’s fine. It’s your vibe. Cool, I get it.

It also just makes sense, though, since when I view your assets, they’re listed as belonging to…how should I put this….not you?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For you, all roads lead to calling attention to your supposed wealth and status. That’s fine, but it’s also the behavior many might site as douchy?

So I agree with everything you are saying. I just also think it makes you a douche. And you’ve literally said the same: “Give me more douchebag, please.” And that’s fine. It’s your vibe. Cool, I get it.

It also just makes sense, though, since when I view your assets, they’re listed as belonging to…how should I put this….not you?

Obviously my heiress wife owns everything. Me no speaky good ingrish and can no make money meself.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of D-bags…anyone else see the article on Roman Sharf spending 9k on new Trump sneakers? Weird…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads