• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see it the other way around, who you are and how you shape yourself will drive how your accessories are interpreted much more than the reverse.

3.jpg

ee866e08.jpg
My dear friend, you are certainly welcome to view it from the wrong perspective. :wink:
A few things to consider. If you look at the post you are quoting, I said, if it were a square or rectangular watch, the OP might be able to get away with it, as they wear larger than their dimensions suggest. Many people find a current large Santos at 39.8 mm wears larger than a 40mm round watch, and therefore some people with 40mm round watches choose the medium, which is 35.1.

It is important to remember, back in the 1970s when that photo was taken of Muhammad Ali, everything was different. Men wore suits with wide lapels, and pants that flared out a from the knee, wide ties, and much smaller watches. Watches of 38 to 42 MM were not the norm, GMTs, Subs, ROs, Nautiluses, and Flightmasters were considered quite large back then. Times and styles change.

Perhaps if the OP, is the "Greatest of All of Time," he could wear a 31mm round watch and it will look ok on him. Or perhaps if he has cultivated a particular look to go with his personality, it will work or be part of his trademark look (Think Gianni Agnelli watch over the shirt cuff, work boots with a suit). There was a brilliant lawyer in my area who went to Tulane for law school. He moved back up here and he was a big name in the 70s and 80s and was a lawyer for Bo Derek, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, and a few other celebrities. I only knew him in his later years. However, he liked the lifestyle of people in Louisiana, and in the summer when going to court he wore a seersucker suit and a straw hat. I've never seen anyone else in Massachusetts wear anything like that to court, but that was his look, and everyone knew that was part of who he was, and it worked for him.

On the other hand, most people are not those kinds of people. I have another lawyer friend, who heard Daniel Craig wore suits in a size smaller than his actual size, to enhance how muscular he looked. My friend started doing that, and honestly, it doesn't make him look more muscular/athletic (and he is already in very good shape), it just makes him look he's wearing a suit that is a size too small.

Maybe if the OP has a very vintage style of dressing, a small watch will complete that look. However, if he wears modern cuts of suits or modern clothing in general, a 31 mm watch is going to look like he borrowed it from his girlfriend.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s crazy how comfy and thin this piece is. Btw VC in Vancouver is great. No games/no bs antics.

Attachments

• 526f4012-4dc5-4f5d-9e5c-9dfa0f5e8fc3.jpeg
    526f4012-4dc5-4f5d-9e5c-9dfa0f5e8fc3.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 148

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had a nit to pick it would be water resistance. I love everything about the current gen 3861. It wears smaller than 42mm, it's super legible, perfectly designed, bracelet is a work of art and it looks even better on a strap. Naturally a spaceman doesn't necessarily need much if any WR but it's such a perfectly wearable sports/daily watch that 100m WR would make it a one watch candidate.
i think fratello made the point that while on paper the 50m WR is the same on the 3861 as previous generations', it's actually functionally more water resistant on account of the METAS certification, meaning it's actually tested in water after casing to 60m depth (or maybe it's 55m). so, not just a theoretical.

tweedlover

Reaction score
i think fratello made the point that while on paper the 50m WR is the same on the 3861 as previous generations', it's actually functionally more water resistant on account of the METAS certification, meaning it's actually tested in water after casing to 60m depth (or maybe it's 55m). so, not just a theoretical.
Why would anyone want to wear their watch while in water?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you share a watch with your wife?
My wife likes that OP I just posted, and I told her she's welcome to wear it any time she likes. We'll see if she ever does so. She's pretty petite though, so I'll be interested to see how loose it is on her, as well as how the 35mm looks. She has tried on DateJusts and Cartier models in the 28-32mm range that looked appropriate for her small wrist. Might require buying another bracelet just for her if she wants to wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads