• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How easy is it to find a period-correct Omega Chronostop crystal, anyone? Or is there a practical acceptance among the watch community that aftermarket repairs necessitate minor aesthetic adjustments?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll have to open the case back to get the case number, but Otto Frei probably has more vintage Omega crystals than anyone.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_5542-2.jpg

Iphone14 + lightroom

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Breguet Tradition line is hands down my favorite production watch available. I have bought and sold a few of them, and always regret it, so hopefully this stays with me. Previously, I owned the time-only version, but when this was offered to me at a too good to say no price, I had to jump on it.

In my opinion, it offers the most horological bang for buck if you are buying second hand. You can find the time-only ones for ~$15,000 give or take. They are finished to the same degree as this one with the GMT function. The only difference is the GMT complication, which I am a sucker for.

In that price range (2nd hand), it puts this watch up against simple 3 classic dress watches from the trinity & ALS. In my opinion though, this watch is the equivalent or better than watches from the big 3 that go for up to 3x what this does.

A few details explaining why:

Quality of anglage. It’s not insanely thick like Voutillainen or Gauthier, but it is well done for what it is. There are no visible machining marks left over. If you look at any Patek under 6 figures, you will definitely see machine marks. I tried to photograph this, but am somewhat limited with my iPhone. It’s much more visible under a loupe.

Guilloche by hand. Again, other competitors in this range including FP Journe, Patek and AP (offshore) stamp instead of doing proper guilloche. Breguet on the other hand, does it all properly. Multiple guilloche patterns are visible on the main dial, and then another pattern on the GMT dial around the exterior.

Interior angles. Extremely rare to find on production watches nowadays unless you are spending $75,000+. On this watch, there are a few. These are only really possible to do by hand, which is why you do not see them usually. I have one picture below of this, but very hard to get a good shot using an iPhone lol :)

Hand engraving. Breguet is quite liberal with this. On the other versions of this watch, they use hand engraving on the dial side for power reserve indications. The backside of this model has a very nicely engraved logo.

Heat blued hands. Always a nice touch, and very well done with every Breguet I have owned. Meaning they go from almost black -> blue in the right lighting. Same deal with a few of the screws.

Screwheads, sinks around screws, gold inserts on the balance, the parachute system, all beautifully done.

Visible wheels on the front nicely done too. Can see they have been lightly beveled.

Casework. The lugs are beautifully, and very cleanly attached, and the pattern on the side of the case is excellent too.

You might see some weird artifacts in my pics, this is because I used an iPhone and liberal sharpening + noise removal in lightroom

IMG_5540-2.jpg
IMG_5542-2.jpg
IMG_5543-2.jpg
IMG_5544-2.jpg
IMG_5547-2.jpg
IMG_5550.jpg
IMG_5553.jpg
IMG_5556.jpg
IMG_5554.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've got this watch coming, and have ordered the above-referenced strap. The only shortcoming I could find was the semi-domed crystal.

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 2.32.21 PM.png

messaging.htm

vs OEM:

x427474-bc6155304b4cab34cfccccf7932e9373.jpg.pagespeed.ic.VqyEkA0NO9.webp

pmeis

Reaction score
The Breguet Tradition line is hands down my favorite production watch available. I have bought and sold a few of them, and always regret it, so hopefully this stays with me. Previously, I owned the time-only version, but when this was offered to me at a too good to say no price, I had to jump on it.

In my opinion, it offers the most horological bang for buck if you are buying second hand. You can find the time-only ones for ~$15,000 give or take. They are finished to the same degree as this one with the GMT function. The only difference is the GMT complication, which I am a sucker for.

In that price range (2nd hand), it puts this watch up against simple 3 classic dress watches from the trinity & ALS. In my opinion though, this watch is the equivalent or better than watches from the big 3 that go for up to 3x what this does.

Quality of anglage. It’s not insanely thick like Voutillainen or Gauthier, but it is well done for what it is. There are no visible machining marks left over. If you look at any Patek under 6 figures, you will definitely see machine marks. I tried to photograph this, but am somewhat limited with my iPhone. It’s much more visible under a loupe.

Guilloche by hand. Again, other competitors in this range including FP Journe, Patek and AP (offshore) stamp instead of doing proper guilloche. Breguet on the other hand, does it all properly. Multiple guilloche patterns are visible on the main dial, and then another pattern on the GMT dial around the exterior.

Interior angles. Extremely rare to find on production watches nowadays unless you are spending $75,000+. On this watch, there are a few. These are only really possible to do by hand, which is why you do not see them usually. I have one picture below of this, but very hard to get a good shot using an iPhone lol :)

Hand engraving. Breguet is quite liberal with this. On the other versions of this watch, they use hand engraving on the dial side for power reserve indications. The backside of this model has a very nicely engraved logo.

Heat blued hands. Always a nice touch, and very well done with every Breguet I have owned. Meaning they go from almost black -> blue in the right lighting. Same deal with a few of the screws.

Screwheads, sinks around screws, gold inserts on the balance, the parachute system, all beautifully done.

Visible wheels on the front nicely done too. Can see they have been lightly beveled.

Casework. The lugs are beautifully, and very cleanly attached, and the pattern on the side of the case is excellent too.

You might see some weird artifacts in my pics, this is because I used an iPhone and liberal sharpening + noise removal in lightroom

View attachment 1960009 View attachment 1960011 View attachment 1960013 View attachment 1960015 View attachment 1960017 View attachment 1960019 View attachment 1960021 View attachment 1960023 View attachment 1960025

When I bought my Armin Strom a year ago, the only other two watches I considered were the Saxonia Thin and a Tradition of some sort. I'm still incredibly happy with my choice, but would still love one of these at some point.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve ALWAYS wondered about Rolex’s secret AR coating practices. Some models have it. Others don’t. Some are single layer. Others dual. I saw this picture below and starting digging:
IMG_5596.png

Well, thank the internet gods, because I stumbled upon this incredibly informative article. Enjoy.

In short, Rolex encrypts the AR coating status of each watch in the coronet that I laser engraves on the top-side of the crystal, right above six o’clock. Behold:
IMG_5590.jpeg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve ALWAYS wondered about Rolex’s secret AR coating practices. Some models have it. Others don’t. Some are single layer. Others dual. I saw this picture below and starting digging:
View attachment 1960159

Well, thank the internet gods, because I stumbled upon this incredibly informative article. Enjoy.

In short, Rolex encrypts the AR coating status of each watch in the coronet that I laser engraves on the top-side of the crystal, right above six o’clock. Behold:
View attachment 1960161
Rolex quickly turning into a pile of anti-counterfeiting measures on the wrist, which accessorily may sometimes tell you the time.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1960159

View attachment 1960161
image-39.png

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Armin Strom a year ago, the only other two watches I considered were the Saxonia Thin and a Tradition of some sort. I'm still incredibly happy with my choice, but would still love one of these at some point.

They are awesome, I have an alert set up in-case one pops up used. I was going to grab a resonance but they wouldnt discount from MSRPm so passed.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1960009 View attachment 1960011 View attachment 1960013 View attachment 1960015 View attachment 1960017 View attachment 1960019 View attachment 1960021 View attachment 1960023 View attachment 1960025
Congrats on the new addition! Breguet is a very underrated brand. I have always been a fan of their watches, although with the exceptional guilloche work they do, I'd probably want something from their classique line with a full size guilloche dial. Something like this perhaps.
s-l1600.jpg

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new addition! Breguet is a very underrated brand. I have always been a fan of their watches, although with the exceptional guilloche work they do, I'd probably want something from their classique line with a full size guilloche dial. Something like this perhaps.
s-l1600.jpg

Can't go wrong :)

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I've got this watch coming, and have ordered the above-referenced strap. The only shortcoming I could find was the semi-domed crystal.

View attachment 1960027
messaging.htm

vs OEM:

x427474-bc6155304b4cab34cfccccf7932e9373.jpg.pagespeed.ic.VqyEkA0NO9.webp

Crystals are a disposable components like spring bars. I know someone mentioned Otto Frei, they should have something. If not, try Omega forums, there is always someone who knows a guy who has everything.

We did a strap for one of these a while back in orange that looked nice. Not my favorite, but picked up on the chronograph hand:
IMG_0816.jpeg

-DL

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex quickly turning into a pile of anti-counterfeiting measures on the wrist, which accessorily may sometimes tell you the time.

It's funny to see them try but superfakes are so advanced.

Yet you don't see superfake Journe, ALS or Reversos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads