• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you like vintage, although their stock is leaning more modern than I remember from my visit. They are really nice guys who will let you spend as much time looking and trying on watches as you want (much like EWC in Boston). Visits are by appointment only. When I went, they were in an office building in Midtown East, somewhere in the 50s.
Good to know!

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to finally offload some watches of mine (1967 Rolex datejust and 1973 Omega speedmaster) and curious what people think is the best place to sell online? I'm not sure I'm comfortable going the eBay or Chrono24 route and not quite sure where to go after that.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to finally offload some watches of mine (1967 Rolex datejust and 1973 Omega speedmaster) and curious what people think is the best place to sell online? I'm not sure I'm comfortable going the eBay or Chrono24 route and not quite sure where to go after that.
Depends on where you are located, vs how risk averse you are. You'll get more money selling it yourself, but there are risks and potential hassles. I've sold watches to EWC in Boston a few times, and so have some friends, and we've had good experiences with them.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm located in Oregon and I am very risk averse.
That's good to know about EWC. I've dealt with a couple secondhand watch stores in the past in California, with good experiences but as you mentioned, the pay out never is quite the same.

symphvaria

Reaction score
Headed back to NYC tomorrow. Is analog shift worth a visit?
I'd say so, I had a really great time trying vintage stuff on last time I went. They were fully willing to entertain me trying stuff obviously far out of my league even though I made no pretenses about tirekicking. Probably the best watch shopping experience I've had in the US so far.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for bringing down the average quality of watches in the thread.

6DD41917-3190-442A-A9AF-59F4D975B16E.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm located in Oregon and I am very risk averse.
That's good to know about EWC. I've dealt with a couple secondhand watch stores in the past in California, with good experiences but as you mentioned, the pay out never is quite the same.
I can't make any promises as to what they will offer, but a friend who was in California before moving abroad, said EWC offered him more money for his watch than other places he had used in the past. He said the transaction with them was very easy. Wishing you lots of luck with the sale.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for bringing down the average quality of watches in the thread.

View attachment 1952015
Looking good! If this were steal rather than titanium, I’d buy one in a second! I think titanium is actually the right material for what this watch is meant to be, but I just can’t get get down with the dark grey vibes…I don’t need bling, but titanium _looks_ like lead…

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more you post this one the more I like it. It’s great that the hour markers are all white without the white gold edge of current Rolex. Really gives it that vintage vibe and toolish look.

I agree! It is exceedingly toolish in a way that modern Rolex simply is not. My friend has a modern Submariner and we held the two of them next to each other today. They felt completely different from one another.

Looking good! If this were steal rather than titanium, I’d buy one in a second! I think titanium is actually the right material for what this watch is meant to be, but I just can’t get get down with the dark grey vibes…I don’t need bling, but titanium _looks_ like lead…

See, I love the dark grey vibes of the titanium. It makes the watch feel moody and I love that it is completely brushed. Plus, titanium is so, so, so much lighter.

I get it though. I have a pretty ruddy / dark skin tone, and I love the look of the darker grey with a bit of a tan.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But now you can say you have a custom movement in yours!

My ~$100 G Shock automatically updates the time around 2am (with an atomic clock, or a radio band, or...something...), including time zones and DST changes...

613+pic4LIL._AC_UL400_.jpg
Yeah, for an extra $50 you get that :p

More seriously, aside from it being less helpful when moving around (although you can trigger a refresh, which I've forgotten how), G Shock's radio coverage is actually not global. You need to be in range of one of the transmitters, which as this article covers is not always true even in CONUS, and is patchy for much of Asia for example (in this thread someone in Malaysia is complaining, but I've found Singapore not to sync).

This is why for a lot of people HAQ is a better value proposition (and, IMO, cooler engineering), or if you are very specific about wanting time synced, but not a smartwatch of sorts (because the obvious sync is from your phone, which uses mobile networks, via bluetooth), something like the Astron which connects to GPS satellites to figure out the time.

From TFA:

1683256205375.png

Hence as cool as radio-solar looks on the dial, I personally don't really care when making a purchasing decision. Although I travel to covered regions every month or two, regular sync is pretty important on quartz chips that might be 6s off a day, and I find myself manually setting the time on the radio-solar G shocks most times I want to wear one.

FWIW, if I needed to pick just One Watch I think the Citizen 0100 would be near the top of the list but am aware this is very much a minority opinion here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G-Shock squares are the perfect size. Not too big, not dainty at all. Very goldilocks.
Even the smallest basic squares (non Baby G) don't fit any of my shirt cuffs, but that wasn't a problem back in the 2000s in London with much looser fitting RTW shirts. Even if it fits it needs conscious adjustment. A thin dress watch which you might wear for work will always fit without a thought, especially ultrathin quartz ;) but that is also the case with the much smaller F-91W and companions.

Of course if you're working in a hoody like half this thread then even the Fenix 7X sapphire solar's 52mm x 15mm will stay put just fine.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've handled lots of them and felt similar. They are cool, but for a bit more used you get into Breguet territory and those are better finished than Patek in most cases.
They're a completely different philosophy of design. Both have a place in a collection optimising for breadth. Brief history here. The question is whether the current lineup has lost the plot or is merely broadening the interpretation implied by the historical direction. I vote for lost the plot (is there anything like the 4420-9000 today?), but clearly they are a hit internationally so I must be wrong, statistically speaking.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1952015
I think it looks really bad on this photo. Don't know if it is lightning or overexposure of white parts. But the hands and hour markers look like cheap plastic and very cheap on that photo. I had it in had last year at my AD as I was hyped after release but it was very underwhelming or boring when in hand. It is great value watch but it has no soul. I do not know how to explain it. Zero emotions when looking at on the wrist or in hand. To me BB or Ranger are more interesting watched from Tudor (Ranger should be 36mm because in current size it is a bit too big and too empty).
Fine, back to Rolex then.

Turns out the waiting list is somewhat real (at least for certain models). I just picked this one up on behalf of my dad:

m126200-0006.png

- which he was put on the list for about a year ago. Back then they did inquire about our 'purchase history', but since I bought a Submariner 32 years ago and he bought an Explorer 2 some years after that, I don't think that expedited the wait.

Anyway, it's a rather handsome watch, probably my favourite in their current lineup - if only the bracelet was all brushed, but I guess that can be fixed.

Also, this 36mm model is the perfect size for this kind of watch - especially if you're used to a 40mm sports model: the dial of this and my Sub have virtually the same diameter, giving you identical time telling real estate - only the less sporty model has an appropriately smaller case.
It is not about DJ, but I was putting my name down for 41mm OP in blue for my dad to get it in time for retirement (I might still change that to 36mm but I think he will prefer 41mm) and when I asked if they have any OP to see and compare 36mm vs 41mm(said I want to compare only OPs not DJ for the size cause it is not exactly the same watch) the SA told me they did not get a single black OP 41mm in the last 12 months for example which I was very surprised with. And I guess I am still a salty cause they were not able to allocate me yellow OP 36mm before it was discontinued.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even the smallest basic squares (non Baby G) don't fit any of my shirt cuffs, but that wasn't a problem back in the 2000s in London with much looser fitting RTW shirts.

For the record, I would never endorse wearing a G Shock with a proper shirt. That would be scandalous. Scandalous I say!

If I were forced at gun-point, I’d wear an A168W under an Oxford shirt though. That’s as low as I’m willing to go. 🧐

E8F9FB49-B133-40E1-BCA8-91E4FDBD6FF6.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads