• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI: building a “relationship” at VC is not that hard.
Basically buy one watch? What are you trying to get out of that "relationship"? I'm guessing the 222 isn't happening with a single purchase.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
70s skeez...would pair great with a ‘negroni’ tweed jacket

I watched the one with Cyrille Vigneron, the Cartier CEO. I really dug the part where Cyrille was talking about luxury watches/jewelry as more flexible heirloom items for the 21st century as opposed to china or pianos or furniture like in past generations. That was really my impetus to start growing my watch collection in the past few years.

As a side note, I don’t really follow too much of the Wei Koh/Revolution Watch stuff on social…but I’m surprised he has the juice to get these guys in a room for a 20-30 min interview.

I tend to watch Revolution‘s content in spurts, but I generally enjoy it. I really enjoy when he does have Cyrille Vigneron on because I really enjoy listening to him and as someone else noted I really enjoy this latest interview based on what he said about watches as heirlooms.

Forget the length of the content, but just consider the volume of the content. All I kept thinking was where is Hodinkee? They did one episode of Hodinkee radio and that was after day one. I’m sure they’ll do another episode come this Monday, but I was thinking they would reserve an entire episode for the MoonSwatch. I’m not a big fan of much of their writing team these days, but I’m rather shocked at the lack of video content.

Did anyone here get a Moonswatch?

I got all eleven of them and flipped them within 24 hours. I’m told my subsequent Tank Asymetrique and Tank Cintree should be arriving this week.

The problem is that these guys are never negative or critical. Everything is always the best thing ever!!! They are unabashed captains of the hype machine.

But at least Ben Clymer can be more circumspect and cynical in off-channel interviews, as compared to his writing for Hodinkee (which is 100% hype). For example, in a recent interview he gave away that he no longer collects vintage watches because the market is so dirty. That’s a profound and startling admission from the guy arguably most responsible for driving contemporary interest in collecting vintage watches.

I’ve never heard Wei Koh utter anything less than praise.

Ben Clymer has that streak in him if you’ve listened to him in the past. Even in Hodinkee content he’s said a few things that you don’t often here.

I agree about Wei Koh, but not entirely. I think he is just mad about the hobby and genuinely passionate about a lot of it.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This conversation could be had about any number of interests and their influencers. Cars, shoes, movies, etc etc.

Yes take their opinions worth a grain of salt. They can still be interesting if you are into what they discus.

Do they influence communities’ opinions? Sure. So do threads like this and any number of outlets.

Exactly. And MY point was that the “takes” are just the first step anyway. Most of us then do our own vetting with the watch in hand. I don’t know many people here that buy without handling first - with very notable exceptions, haha!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This conversation could be had about any number of interests and their influencers. Cars, shoes, movies, etc etc.

Yes take their opinions worth a grain of salt. They can still be interesting if you are into what they discus.

Do they influence communities’ opinions? Sure. So do threads like this and any number of outlets.

Not true at all. Automotive and film journalism are very critical.

I really don’t think this thread is influencing anyone.

Basically buy one watch? What are you trying to get out of that "relationship"? I'm guessing the 222 isn't happening with a single purchase.

As discussed, focused VC collectors are a rarity. It doesn’t take nearly as much to win favor versus AP or Patek. Vacheron’s display cases are filled with watches just sitting there, waiting.

You also succumb to it like the rest of us with a Patek Aquanaut and Rolex Daytona. Even your VC 1921 is part of the hype machine.

Nearly every new watch from a major maker is hyped. Unless you buy something super obscure, it is hyped. That’s why it is important to be thoughtful and critical.

The Aquanaut and Daytona are great watches, by the way. They are also super-hyped.

The VC 1921 really isn’t hyped by anyone other than those selling VCs. Look at secondary market prices. Watches are readily available and at MSRP or below. Yet, Vacheron claims demand is off the charts! I got one as a brand new customer who just walked in on a random day. It’s bullshit.

How is the 5170 a hyped watch? Hardly anyone talks about it and it’s been discontinued for years.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m old enough to remember talking about the Piaget Polo and Polo S on this thread. Hype watches?

I frequently post 36 DJ. Hype watch?

Vintage Omega DeVille: Hype watch?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The VC 1921 really isn’t hyped by anyone other than those selling VCs. Look at secondary market prices. Watches are readily available and at MSRP or below. Yet, Vacheron claims demand is off the charts! I got one as a brand new customer who just walked in on a random day. It’s bullshit.

How is the 5170 a hyped watch? Hardly anyone talks about it and it’s been discontinued for years.
The VC 1921 is the most hyped VC watch that's not a sports model. Granted the hype isn't as large as the VCO or 222 now but still gets plenty of hype from other watch guys.

I purposely left out the 5170 since that doesn't get a lot of hype as well as your dad's Patek AC.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The VC 1921 is the most hyped VC watch that's not a sports model. Granted the hype isn't as large as the VCO or 222 now but still gets plenty of hype from other watch guys.

I purposely left out the 5170 since that doesn't get a lot of hype as well as your dad's Patek AC.

First of all, “most hyped VC watch that’s not a sports model” literally means “a watch nobody particularly wants”.

Second: so you mean two of my biggest purchases weren’t hyped at all? You are missing the point. I am not the one claiming hyped watches are never good watches. Often they are. I was simply drawing attention to the irony of claiming a discussion group is un-influenced by hype when it consistently talks about hyped watches and broadly dislikes hype-challenging opinions.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A six-year old YouTube video demonstrates hype?

The particularly funny thing about this example is that, back then, Hodinkee was more critical. They would never do a ranked comparison like this now, particularly involving brands they partner with and sell.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A six-year old YouTube video demonstrates hype?

The particularly funny thing about this example is that, back then, Hodinkee was more critical. They would never do a ranked comparison like this now, particularly involving brands they partner with and sell.
Haha...I didn’t realize the degree to which you simply do not understand how the internet works!

ctp120

Reaction score
7F71DB31-D508-48D8-B551-C2EB473D1F0F.jpeg
Getting a little backyard Sunday sun wearing one of my several hype-watches. Which @George Red hates. But also owns. 🤣

ctp120

Reaction score
Speaking of hype and Rolex GMT, I get all the VC 222 attention— but I’m also a bit surprised there’s been relatively little discussion here about the left handed Sprite.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1775262 Getting a little backyard Sunday sun wearing one of my several hype-watches. Which @George Red hates. But also owns. 🤣
Can’t hate on a relaxing Sunday afternoon by the pool, though. Cheers!

Speaking of the GMT, my AD says they can order my the oyster bracelet. Im gonna just do that. I think the watch looks way better on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads